Bilateral TKR Puppylove's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats on getting home! You will begin to feel so much better now that you are home. Keep icing, elevating and taking your pain meds. Everyday gets better.
 
Hi @PuppyLove. I know how you feel. I wasn't given the choice to go home, my doctor insisted on rehab. It has been great here except sometimes fighting with the nurses about my pain meds. We have had to wake the doctor up several times. I don't think he was happy. However, today is day 16 post op. I am feeling stronger. You mentioned pain going to the toliet do you have a toliet riser? That would help with pain sitting down. Also some extra tool like a leg lifter Amir a grabber may be helpful in first few days. Rest as much as you can. And Ice ice ice. Anesthesia reeks (sp) havoc on my body so I have been miserable, but I am walking on a cane and taking meds round the clock. Sometime I think I feel better take less medicine and I get slammed with the pain again. I would probably have never gone back to get my second tkr if I only had one. People say I am so brave for doing two, but honestly I was oblivious to how hard it would be. Good luck get rest and know I am right here with you!


42 and Btkr 9/5/14
 
I would probably have never gone back to get my second tkr if I only had one. People say I am so brave for doing two, but honestly I was oblivious to how hard it would be.
I can tell you if your knee was bad enough you'd go back for the 2nd. Though on the first day after the spinal wore off I did say "I did this voluntarily?" But I can already say it was worth it. :)

Good that you're getting some home health help @PuppyLove --is that nursing and/or other help? I know it gave me some sense of security that I had a nurse look at the incision after I came home. No problems but good to know. And so much more comfortable at home.
 
Glad your home @PuppyLove i don't know if i could go straight home but we will see. . I'll be following you you will be well on your way when i go in for my surgery on dec.1st mine is being done in dallas so i think i would feel better doing rehab over there at first ..keep us up on your recovery. Glad your getting settled in at home
 
Hope today is going well! I also waited nine months in between knees. I just knew as good as my first tkr was doing I wanted the other knee in as good as shape. I have to admit the first day of recovery I questioned my sanity. Two weeks later I am feeling much better!

I give anyone doing bilaterals a lot of credit. I cannot imagine how hard it must be! Even now I know each day brings me closer to a less painful future!
 
Today is a better day. I'll try to answer the questions I remember when reading through all the posts.

Amazingly, the toilets at the hospital seemed lower than my "ADA right height" toilet I have at home. The ortho unit was recently redesigned with private rooms, but I think they forgot about the bathrooms! There wasn't much room around the toilet to maneuver my walker, either.

@JTH I had surgical glue. The PA said that after he looked at my hip scar, he was concerned about using glue, but I assured him that I'm not concerned about having beautiful knees- I'll just be excited to have functional ones!

@Shmi47 my toilet at home is higher than the ones at the hospital and easier to maneuver around. Both of my knees were equally bad, plus I had severely bowed legs, so I wanted both done so that I wouldn't screw something up in recovery by compensating with other movements.

@kneeper I will have a home health nurse and PT. I did not like the nurse they sent out for my hip, and have requested not to have her again. My hubby is a former paramedic and really good with trauma, dressing changes, etc., so I'm not worried about the nursing side. I am much more comfortable at home. One of the perks of leaving the hospital was not having to ring for assistance to get out of bed. They were really quick to respond, but I'm a super independent person (I'm sure as a toddler I said "me do it, me do it") and prefer doing things my way.

I am really glad I set up my area before leaving the house for surgery. I cut an Eggcrate mattress to fit my recliner, then covered it with a sheet and collected pillow and blankets to use. The recliner is in my bedroom about 10 feet from the bathroom door. I slept much better last night in the recliner, and was able to get to the bathroom much easier than at the hospital. I also dismantled the bedside commode and have the handles going around the toilet so i can use them to push up on.

My right leg is still difficult to lift; I use a flat handled cane with the flat part under the ball of my foot to lift and lower that leg. I have to wear TED hose (hate them) for three weeks. Amazingly, I have had NO swelling or drainage. I tried to add a picture, but I don't know how from the ipad and my brain is a bit fuzzy- I'll have to wait for my kids to teach me how!

Thanks for all your comments- time for a nap!
 
@PuppyLove

I had to laugh as you and I have something common......I too fall asleep while typing, talking, eating breakfast etc...yet I know that a reduction in my meds would cause a spike in my pain levels....so nope, not gonna do it!

Yes I believe that two knees would be longer to recover than a hip. Thank goodness my knees were and are full oh healthy vartiiledgen ( the 3 words type are a result of a nod off on my part:rotfl:.). It should say of healthy cartilage.

I am very glad that you are at home in your happy place. Remember if you don't like the PT toss him or her. I would rather have short weeks a great PT than long weeks a crappy PT!

Don't forget the poet op chocolate for recovery!

Later

Cheryl
 
@CanukTriMom I loved that! The sad part is that I could probably have that happen from the intuitive typing program! It was a bit embarrassing to be woken up by the PT asst., though I don't think the other patients were awake enough to notice!
This will be shocking, but I haven't had a craving for chocolate. After my THR I wasn't very hungry, and the same has happened this time. I'm just really thirsty. And tired. Family is delivering dinner to my recliner- gonna have to close for now.Thanks for the chocolate reminder!
 
@PuppyLove so glad to hear you are home and resting somewhat comfortably. I too was lucky enough to come straight home after surgery. I too had home P.T. for about 3 three weeks, and it really helped me get my mobility back. She was awesome, but made me work! Take heart, both @ljrfrm and I are doing really well at almost 7 weeks! 7 weeks you say, but it does go by before you know it, and you will every day feel better and better. Here is to your continued healing.
 
Glad you're home. Your recliner sounds comfortable and a perfect place to recover. Rest and keep on top of your pain - and you'll do great. As @Crow22 says, 7 weeks will go by before you know it. While we are still recovering from our BTKR, we are past the most difficult part, and it just keeps getting better each day. You will be there soon!
 
So nice to read about your steady progress post op. I'm counting down my last week pre op and it seems like there is so much to do to wrap things up at work, make a few last runs to stock the fridge and freezer, get bills paid, laundry caught up, haircut, etc. seems my fear has been replaced by "let's get this done" and I appreciate the comments and info.

Puppylove, you've been such a trooper and I hope your recovery continues steady and measurably. My daughter suggested I make a list of reasons why I'm having this surgery to refer to when I have a dark time and it was actually therapeutic to jot down the many reasons. It is in the notes section of my phone I think it will be incredibly valuable during the next month or two.

It's nice to feel the love and encouragement. This is a great community of support.
 
@meewee you sound just like me the week before surgery. I was so busy getting prepared I barely had time to think about the actual surgery. Preparation does make for a smoother recovery, so all of that will be time well spent. I was surprised when they came in Saturday morning and said they would try to send me home that day. I didn't think I was ready, but then I never asked about the discharge criteria. Once I got that in my brain, I pushed a little harder in PT to help out the numbers. It also helped that my day nurse (I'd had her for three days) would be off on Sunday, so I'd have to get to know someone else, which I really didn't want to do. So, while I seem to have flown thru, another few days wouldn't have been bad.

I have discovered that time will go by whether you are happy or grumpy, and trying to be happy usually makes for an easier outcome. Who wants to hang around a grumpy person? Surgery can cause depression, so I think having that list handy is an excellent idea. You can also print out the list and post it around the house. I didn't do this, as I have a daughter who constantly reminds me (her new reason is that we can get season passes and go to Six Flags together)- how's that for creativity?

I totally agree about this being a community of support. It got me through my THR in May and is now getting me through BTKR. My friends outside the forum truly do not understand what it is like to go thru this. I'll be watching your recovery thread!:flwrysmile:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom