Bilateral TKR Puppylove's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PuppyLove

Well I didn't realize that you were going to be the next 6 Million dollar woman! So after this BLTKR, not much left right? How is your remaining hip? Does it need replacing? I think there is a limit on how many joints can be replaced in one year!

How did you sleep last night. I slept for the 2nd night on my non operative side ...yeah yeah.
 
@PuppyLove I love your positive attitude and you are correct that being grumpy won't help anything. You daughter should be great motivation. Come on mom six flags is waiting..lol. Wishing you many pain free days!
 
@PuppyLove, I just read you posts and I think you are going to be just fine. I had my first knee done at the end of March. On Thursday I will have my other one replaced. I don't think I could have done them together!

Follow the mantras and don't push yourself too hard.


Chris
Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@CanukTriMom my left hip is ok per the scan in January. My husband asked the OS if he did bionic ears so I could be the Bionic Woman (1970's TV series for those not familiar). OS just laughed.

I had trouble sleeping til about 4 am, then of course fell asleep as the rest of the house was waking up. I just took a shower, then painkillers, kicked the dogs out of my room and told my son it was nap time. I have about four hours til the other kids and hubby get home. :sleeep:

@waitingtogarden I just need to practice the virtue of patience- not one of my strong ones. Happy thoughts your way on Thursday!
 
@PuppyLove Glad to read that you are doing good. Patience is one of the lessons learned from TKR. Hubby is so bored and mentally wants to go back to work, but physically knows he isn't ready. If he had them both done at the same time he would be almost 17 weeks and ready to go back, but having them one at a time he isn't ready with his new knee at almost 7 weeks. It takes time, but celebrate every small victory because they all add up.
 
@tiredwife I celebrated the small victories with my THR and I'll do the same with this. No one forced me to do this and I have no one to blame for the pain but my own body. I just try to keep it in my brain how bad the pain would get if I let it go any longer. Being in pain became such a normal way of life ( so sad, isn't it) that I just expected it every day. These surgeries are giving me another chance at an active life, so I will learn to be patient and be grateful for the blessings I receive. :angel:
 
@PuppyLove Hubby was in so much pain before his TKR. There was times he had to almost crawl up the stairs. We had to put it off longer than we wanted to because we were helping support our daughter while she was in nursing school. With short term disability from hubby's work he only gets 60% of his pay. We are so glad he finally got them done. Even with the pain he has with this knee he is in less pain than he was before TKR's. So yes your pain would have just got worse with time, a lot worse. It is sad that people have to live in pain. I'm just glad that some of the pain can be taken care of. You are still early in recovery and you will see differences every day.
 
@tiredwife I can understand your financial pain. I haven't had a "consistent" job in a few years so I had no disability to fall back on. How wonderful that you were able to help your daughter. Our kids haven't hit college yet, and I'm hoping to be able to help them out when the time comes- these surgeries should give me the ability to be a productive citizen for many more years. Thanks for the encouragement!
 
@PuppyLove Chris our daughter already had been through college once (Bachelors degree in biology) but she couldn't do anything around here with that degree except teach and she didn't want to teach. My kids aren't young anymore. Son will be 37 in November and daughter will be 35 in January. She lost her job at a factory and that is when she decided to go back to school to be a nurse.
Just think, when your knees are better they will both be better and you won't still be facing surgery on the next one. That is a nice thing about BTKRs!
 
@tiredwife I have a B.S. In Marketing and had trouble getting hired b/c I was a military wife and always likely to transfer...... So off to nursing school at the age of 32! It was a good decision for me and has allowed me to have a very flexible schedule.

I have heard that sometimes one knee will be crankier than the other and hold up progress, but I'm just glad it was one surgery and hospital stay. I'm glad I got it over with!
 
@PuppyLove My hubby is retired Air Force so I know about the job problems as a military wife. I have had so many odd jobs because of it. I even had a job doing research on desert tortoises!
Yep, no 2 knees are the same. Hubby's 1st he was off pain pills at about 4 weeks, but ROM was hard to come. 2nd knee he is still on pain meds, but ROM is great (except extension is still at 3 on both).
 
@PuppyLove Yes, that was a very interesting summer. Some tortoises had these transmitters adhered to their shells and I had this antenna thing and would follow the beep until I found the tortoise and then follow it around all day and mark the trail and record how many bites of what plants it ate, etc. Not as glamorous as it sounds. Tortoises can be very slow and boring!
 
@PuppyLove how are the knees doing? I saw my OS today, he's pretty happy with my recovery. Told him I want to do the other knee, but I think I'll wait til beginning of next year so I can get a tooth cleaning done in between.
Have you started PT at home yet? Don't let them push you too hard. Your legs have been through a lot. Take care!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I've been reading your thread. Pray you are see progress daily and that pain is well controlled . Take good care:puppysmooze:
 
@JTH @meowmary @Threads thanks for checking on me. I had a very busy morning. Homehealth had been told I was going to rehab, and found out Monday that I didn't, so they needed to squeeze in some appts. with me (gotta love insurance rules).

I got up at 7 to take pain meds an hour before my PT visit at 8 ( I need an hour). PT was great, intake visit causing no pain; left just after 9, then visiting nurse arrived. She was training someone new (fine with me- we've all been there). They finished at 10:30, and we all decided I did not need nursing visits. I changed back into jammie's and took more meds, got comfy in my recliner and a friend having a PTKR in two weeks called. She wanted to check out my Cothera VPulse (Compression and cold therapy machines) (cothera.com) and pick up the Iceman (never used it) she had lent me. My son met her at the door, brought her back to my bedroom and we had a nice visit from my recliner!

She stayed within my "happy" timeframe. PT told me I need to walk more, so I got up, heated up lunch and had my son deliver it to my bedroom. I took a nice long nap/rest this afternoon til the other kids and hubby made it home. I didn't do much after that, but I am worn out!

I really like the PT that came, but she's the intake coord. so I won't have her. I will have a lot of gait training as I was severely bowlegged. PT was amazed at my lack of swelling and bruising and lack of drainage. I didn't write down any numbers but she seemed happy with the measurements.

I'm sticking to my medication schedule and I spend most of my non-walking time in my recliner. It doesn't fit the "toes above nose" rule, but my PA said it was fine since I have no swelling. Hubby is close by if I need him but I don't wake him up when I rearrange myself at night. I watched the NCIS premiere with the family in the living room last night and it was quite the orchestration to get up from the sofa- much more difficult than with my hip. family will have to come to my room for Movie Night from now on!

I've been showering without assistance- just use my shower bench, handheld shower sprayer and cane to get legs into tub. I sit to dry my hair and get dressed. I stay barefoot in the house (my preference) and neither PT or nurse said anything about it. PT was the same PT from my hip and we chatted about how I need all new shoes. Until I can go shopping for new shoes, I'll be barefoot!

Sorry for the rambling- blame it on the meds!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom