Bilateral TKR Puppylove's New Knees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update. I also have low energy, although this is probably due to the cold. I have been taking half a norco here and there. Sometimes I think it's now just for "comfort". I've been out at PT this morning, lunch with husband, grocery shopping and to the drug store for some more cold meds and cough syrup. I'm now home in my PJ's and thinking my knee is a little sore. Anyway, good to hear from you.
 
@PuppyLove, Hi Chris! Just checking in to see how you are doing. Glad to hear that everything went well for Thanksgiving. Sounds like you are doing well. I've really tapered my meds too. I still take it right before PT and maybe at bedtime if I need it. After shopping at the mall for a few hours yesterday I did take one when I got home. My restless leg was so bad last night I took a muscle relaxer and then about an hour later I took a pain pill. I finally got to sleep at 4 am. I know this is such a busy time of the year and with you having younger kids I'm sure you are pushing yourself. Just remember to take it easy and rest when you can. Anne
 
@Yorkimom , do the muscle relaxers help with the restless legs? If so, I may have to ask for a Rx. My labs came back and are fine except for low Vit D. I'm now taking Vit D2 once a week for five weeks. Hopefully it will help with my fatigue.

Friday I helped my son rake the neighbor's lawn. He wants to earn money for Christmas shopping and she was nice enough to offer him a job. He had Asperger's and need some direction, so while the other family members were out (shopping for his birthday- he turned 15 yesterday), we raked. It actually felt good to be doing physical work, and the weather was beautiful. I also made a cheesecake for his birthday.

Saturday we had a morning Christmas party, then did some shopping. On the way, my daughter saw an open house and wanted to tour it. I walked up and down a flight of stairs! One foot per stair on the ups and two feet per stair on the downs. I was amazed that it wasn't difficult. Then we walked in Walmart and came home and I made spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I went to sleep at about midnight and didn't get up till 1pm on Sunday! I did have a few potty breaks, but I actually slept- my body was exhausted. I've pretty much lounged all day.

I hope everyone had a good weekend!
 
@PuppyLove, I don't honestly know if they helped or not. I took one around 1 that morning stayed up for over an hour and went to bed. I still couldn't sleep and by then the knee was hurting so I got up and took a pain pill. That was around 3:30. I finally fell asleep around 4.
You sure did a lot on Saturday. I'm sure son appreciated your help. You're a good mom. It was good you were able to sleep so long. I'm finding that I'm sleeping less and less. Before I couldn't even lay on my side, but now that I can I find myself trying to sleep on my side and when I wake up I am in pain. I need to make myself continue to sleep on my back. Doing that doesn't hurt my knee like on my side.
I hope the vitamin D helps with your fatigue. I'm glad they found the cause. Take care. Anne
 
@Yorkimom, my son appreciates everything. Even if something goes wrong he still appreciates it. I had the side sleeping problem for a while- I couldn't sleep flat in the bed either. My recliner was my best buddy. I have been sleeping in my bed for the last week and can finally sleep on either side. Sometimes I need to put a folded blanket or pillow between my knees or under one knee to get comfy. My avatar, Rex, is happy I'm back in bed- at least once per night he curls up in the recliner. He's the same color as the blanket, and one night I almost sat on him!
 
@PuppyLove, yes the recliner was my best friend after my first surgery. I slept in it day and night for six weeks. This time we have an adjustable bed and that's the only reason why I could sleep in the bed. I miss sleeping on my side so much, so I started trying to sleep on my side little by little, but when I do at have to put the foot of the bed down or it makes me arch my back too much. Then I fall asleep and end up on my back waking up with my knee hurting.
I can see Rex now curled up in the recliner. I bet he's happy to have it back!
 
I've slept in bed the whole time. The only positive about this knee so far is that I , me, Joni, gets the recliner for TV watching! I'm milking it.
 
4 Month Update:
My knees seem to improving every day. At my 4 month followup visit my OS was pleased with my progress and said he doesn't think I need to go to PT anymore. He OK'd me to ride my bike outside and go bowling (more concern for hip than knees). My knees are at 120/0 and 125/5. The right was 0 but started acting up and doesn't want to flatten. I'm doing my exercises at home, walking, and doing the extension stretching exercise. I still get very stiff after sitting for an extended period, which OS said may go away after a year or so or may just be a lifetime residual effect. I'm sleeping better at night and can change positions more easily. I feel much more like a "normal" person than a post-surgical patient.
I am so grateful for all of the support and encouragement of my Bonesmart buddies- my recoveries wouldn't have gone this well without you!​
 
That is a great report!! It is awesome that you are now resuming all of those things in life that you enjoy so much!

Life is now your PT---I am sure that you will be able to get that knee to lie flat---and I had stiffness for a while, just like you---it went away, and I am sure that yours will, too.

Sleep will continue to improve, as well!

It is great to read how well you are doing! Your report has helped those going through the "dark days" of recovery---and they can see the light at the end of the tunnel that will await them.

Thank you very, very much!
 
Glad you came back and updated - and so happy to hear it is going so well for you. It will only keep getting better!
 
What a great and encouraging report! Thanks for posting and letting us know how well you are doing. I'm about six weeks behind you and it's good to that forward progress just keeps happening.
 
Awesome report - I am so happy whenever I read that someone has made the leap back to nearly normal - congrats!
 
@PuppyLove, great report Chris!! I still get stiff too. I find that the more I move around, the better off I am. Isn't it great to be able to do everyday activities. Keep up the good work!! Take care, Anne
 
Great 4 month update! So happy for you. I was happy to hear about bowling as I have a bowling event coming up in month.

Glad things are going so well for you!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom