THR PuppyLove's New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@MajorHeidi I have a lot of faith in my PT. She is trying to rehab my hip as well as prep my knees for TKR. I do not do squats at PT. These are the exercises she gave me for in the pool:

SLS- balance on one foot
Hip Hike- google it!
Step Up- lead up w/operative leg, lead down with nonoperative leg (I need to create a step for underwater for this one)
Lateral step up (need a step)
Lunges
Knee Flexion and Extension- kick out and to the side

I also use those foam roller floats and float around the pool, dog paddling (my version of water biking). My OS doesn't want me to actually swim with any extended leg motions yet. I really don't feel like it's doing much when I'm in the water, but my PT has convinced me that it's the best way to get my legs ready for TKR. If the weather would just cooperate- today we had a lightening storm and flash flooding!

@younghippie I would love a heated pool! My daughter keeps trying to convince us to add a heater, but friends who have one said it cost them $200 to heat it for a weekend- WAY out of our budget!
 
@PuppyLove Yes, that is expensive! I have heard that some of the newer pool systems are a bit less to run... but, regardless, they are still expensive. I think it would be neat if you wanted to have a special birthday party or something in the colder weather. But, probably not worth the expense of the heater.

I googled your exercises. I will try those in the pool! I can hardly lift my knee up from the floor when in seated position... causes knee pain and my quad is so weak on operated side. I hadn't thought of trying it in the pool. I guess then I could see if it's actually the knee or if it's just quad weakness. Thanks! :)
 
Thanks for discussing the exercises @PuppyLove and @younghippie .
I need more stair help for sure, and practicing on the pool stairs on the submerged stairs should help.
Also like the idea of the hip hike exercise.
Good stuff!
 
I found hydrotherapy really helped me as I've a problem with my knee too..... In addition to the exercises you've already noted they had me getting in and out of a chair in the pool without using your arms..... Also put rubber ring on operated leg when doing knee lifts to provide resistance. Plus doing squats in the pool. Xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi You said you need stair help. My pt had me practice steps (stepping up and down on step on both sides) today for the first time. It was really painful on my knee on operated side (he scaled back and lowered the step to lower level.) I almost couldn't do it. Can you do that or step up on your steps at home unassisted? At this point, my main pt goal is to be able to use stairs again normally. I am worried that something is wrong with my knee and will prevent me from doing it. PT said it will help a great deal to increase strength in my quad muscles... they are so weak. @PuppyLove How are you doing with stairs?
 
@younghippie I am doing the step ups in outpatient PT.
Using the lower stair. Going up and down leading with op leg; then same with good leg.
My worse knee is on good leg.
So I keep practicing these at PT. Eventually to go to the higher step... Just got a new PT order for 12 more
sessions from my OS. Yay!

Doing stairs in real life (haha) I am still leery of going down, so I hold the right handrail and go one step
at a time. (this is what I want to improve on and eventually get to foot over foot or one foot per step).
Going up is easier, and is better when there is a handrail, and even then I can do about 3 then have to
do a few toddler style.
My knee strength is mostly what is holding me back with the steps I believe.

@Hoppy Nanny that is a good idea about squats in the pool. I will try them.
And, your idea @PuppyLove of the hip hikes.
 
@PuppyLove It is good to hear you are doing so well. I am sorry to hear about your knees. I hope they hold out for you until you are ready for the replacements. Pool therapy sounds amazing.
 
@younghippie I am doing fine at PT with step ups, but I don't have stairs at home and when I a counter stairs I go one step at a time, slowly. My knees are my problem with stairs. Actually, my knees are my big problem now. My hip really doesn't bother me. @MajorHeidi my nonoperative knee is the worse one also. I just spent an hour in the pool and kept my legs moving the whole time- it felt really good and I had no pain when I got out! @Serenity41 pool therapy (at least my version) is amazing for low stress on the joints. I just wish I could afford a heated pool b/c I'm going to be sad in September- I do not get in cold water. I wonder if a hot tub would work (not that I have one)!
 
@PuppyLove Your knees and mine sound identical, especially with stairs.....
I only have the outdoor pool til Labor Day, so I have to make hay!
 
@PuppyLove Sounds like my knees... Where do your knees hurt? Mine are hurting (burning arthritis pain) behind both my knees (posterior knee pain.) Also, have some pain on the front/side of knee on operated side (they think it may not be tracking correctly.) After PT yesterday, I even have swelling or fluid on front of knee (added steps, bike... too much apparently for that knee.) Ugh!
 
@younghippie I have mainly medial (inside) pain, some posterior pain, and my knees frequently "pop". My left (nonop side) has always been worse, but the right is catching up. X-rays on the left show arthritis, bone spurs, basically bone on bone knees. I haven't had the right side x-rayed yet. I am also very bowlegged.

Two weeks ago I felt a "pop" behind my left knee (different from the usual pops) and excruciating pain down my calf. I did the usual rest, ice, elevation, compression and already had an ortho appt scheduled two days later, so I just skipped PT until the dr. appt. I had to use the walker again, and could barely walk (I had been off the walker and cane for a while). It was a Baker's cyst that ruptured. I had a cortisone shot and had to rest it for another three days. After that, I was back to the usual pain.

My goal right now is to rehab the right hip and strengthen both legs in hopes of BTKR. My PT thinks it's a good idea and the OS already said my left knee was worse than my hip, but "we start at the center of the body and go out" so I'm going to try and talk him into bilateral. That way he can also straighten out my bowlegs and make them even!

Sorry to hear about your swelling. I have been pleasantly surprised not to have swelling problems. I have vascular problems, mainly on my lower operative leg, and I really expected to swell a lot. I hope your swelling goes down soon! Thanks so much for responding to my post (you, too @MajorHeidi). It's somehow comforting to know I'm not alone (would that be "misery loves company"?) :chinstroke:
 
@PuppyLove @younghippie
My worse knee (unop left side) crunches all the time. That is what it sounds like. Ugh.
Does that make any sense to you two?

Meanwhile, Puppy, good grief how brave to consider bilat knees. eeeew
 
@MajorHeidi I have crepitus in both knees- I'm guessing that's what you're describing. It's common with arthritis. I don't consider myself brave- just desperate! I was a NICU nurse for 13 years and can't handle standing for 12 hour shifts anymore. I really miss the babies! I was subbing as a school nurse, but that has it's own issues. I think now is the time to get my body back to a fully functional level.
 
@PuppyLove Sounds like you are doing the right thing to prepare and strengthen before you will do surgery. I wish I had done that more with my hip! That is neat that you were a NICU nurse. What a wonderful job to get to be with all of those sweet little babies. Seems like there is a theme on here... nurses needing joint replacement. Guess it's all that time on your feet.
@MajorHeidi I have had some crunching in my knees. The PT put his hand over my knee yesterday and felt it while I extended my knee. He said he could feel it grinding and I might have some arthritis in there. Ugh. I get goose bumps and shutter a little thinking about that. The hip never did anything that creeped me out. The knees creep me out for some reason.
I wonder if the hip being in such bad shape causes the knee problems or what... I guess I have been off balance for many years since I have hip dysplasia... but, I am apparently young for all of this... I do wonder if I should be tested for RA or something. Hopefully the knees are just flaring up because of all of the new activity and it's not that bad.
 
My 14 week update:

Wow, most of the time I don't even think about my hip. The old pain is long gone. Sometimes when I stretch a certain way I can feel pain around the incision- I think I should have done more massage earlier on. My ROM is not was it was years ago, but it does not limit me and I'm grateful for what I have. I really appreciate everyone's support through the healing process.

I went to the OS today to discuss my knees. X-rays show that my right is worse than my left, which is the more painful one. Go figure! He still can't figure out what caused them to be this bad this early in my life. He scheduled me for bilateral TKR on November 12. Since my recovery went so well with my hip, I'm hoping I do well with the knees (I know the recovery is harder with knees). I've been spending more time on the Knee side of Bonesmart lately trying to prepare. I'm ready to get my body fixed and get back to living!
 
Oh my goodness @PuppyLove ! I clicked on 'like' because I am happy for your hip.
Are you really going to do bilat Knees? Wow, that is so brave!
I know that my knees are awful, and will have to face this, but how did you decide to do both at once?
 
@MajorHeidi both my knees are so bad that the OS is amazed I only take ibuprofen (everything else makes me sick or gives me a "fuzzy brain"). My x-rays looked so bad he said we didn't need any further scans. Since they both need to be done, I'd rather just have one recovery. As he put it, I don't have a good leg to stand on, so I might as well do both at once. He will do both knees (PA will close first one while he starts second). 3-4 days in hospital, then either rehab or home (up to me and ins. co.).

I'm tired of feeling like an old mom who can't do anything. My daughter (youngest) is 12 and very active and it kills me to tell her I can't do things b/c of pain. I'm ready to get my life back. November works well for us schedule wise, with Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks. OS says I should have no problem getting back to carpooling in January. It's been painful financially, also. I haven't looked for a new job b/c of prospect of surgery, so this way I can get it all done and figure out what I want to be when I grown up- and not be limited by joint pain!
I hope you find solutions to your knee pain. You've been a great support to me. Before this year, I never even considered joint replacement. I was part of that crowd that thought it was for "older people". If I had only known, I may have been bionic years ago! :egypdance:
 
@PuppyLove....bilateral knees too....Wish I was as brave as you! I'm still putting off having an X-ray on my knee which has been playing up since my THR...putting my head in the sand I think!! Will be certainly following your TKR journey too! My hip is fab and yours sounds like it is too.....my twin sis had TKR last January and is waiting for a date for her 2nd one...take care Chrissie xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
[Bonesmart.org] PuppyLove's New Hip
but, oooooooooh
[Bonesmart.org] PuppyLove's New Hip


I see that you will be joining us on the knee replacement forum, @PuppyLove. I, too, had a hip replaced with the lateral posterior approach and had a very good recovery, was off pain meds in 6 weeks, and felt just about "normal" at 8 weeks. Then I had both knees done two days apart (only way my OS does two) about 11 months later. I could have had them done 6 months after the hip, but I needed to get through grass mowing season.

Knees are tougher than hips; but as long as you accept that it's going to be at least 3 months before you begin to feel that normality WILL return and follow the BoneSmart mantras to the letter, after the first 3 weeks recovery can be very tolerable. Those first 3 weeks are the toughest, and I found the inability to get a full night's sleep the worse part. It was hard to entertain myself because the meds made concentration impossible---but once I could cut back on them a bit, I just made sure I had things to occupy me in the wee small hours when sleep was just not possible and catnapped off and on when I could.

I feel sure you'll end up being very happy with your decision to get them both done at once. Just don't expect your knees to recover exactly the same, particularly in the beginning. Usually one knee is a sweetheart and the other a born trouble maker:heehee:. However, they usually equal out over time.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom