THR PuppyLove's New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@kmgraxy the dogs are great. When I walked in the door they were so excited to see me and wanted to jump. My kids grabbed them and then we had "controlled" attention. They've calmed down now and stay out of my way. Rex is actually afraid of the walker, so he avoids it. They spend a lot of time sniffing me- I'm guessing hospital smell combined with anesthesia makes me smell different!

I am a rule follower, so I'm trying to do everything "legal." My take home med is Norco (hydro codone/acetaminophen) and it seems to be working. I haven't noticed significant swelling , but I keep my legs elevated most of the time. The home health nurse comes today for an assessment appt. I requested non smokers for my nurse and PT coming to my home. That seemed to surprise the agency. I am having some sinus issues and even smelling smoke on clothes makes me worse. I didn't think that was too much to ask. Anyone have similar requests of home health?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I had an appt for the home health nurse to do an eval on me today- was supposed to be here between 12 and 1:00 ( pretty big window). She showed up at 1:45 with no explanation. When I was signing the paperwork I had to correct mistakes- my street address, zip code, husbands name, name of drug I'm allergic to (she wrote sulphur instead of sulfa). She changed my bandage (I called hubby in to take pics of the wound) and I was not impressed with her skills. Hubby will be doing future ones. I am so thankful that I don't need nursing care- I get to jump to PT. That visit was kinda scary. :yikes:
 
@PuppyLove....Ok that is disappointing regarding your home care....Just sad.....My experience has been so wonderful with Nurse, PT and OT I can't thank them enough for all they have done and they take the time and we talk is nice...They do have big window, which doesn't bother me, cuz I am not going anywhere.....Nurse comes Mon/Thur..to draw levels for cumminin......I hope you recovery is going well..sounds like u doing ok..that makes me smile :) :flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like your doing well!
I'll be tracking your progress from one week behind you......keep up the good work!



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I'm glad you remarked on getting a non-smoking PT/VN - I will add that to my list of things to remember for next month's surgery. Very sensitive to odors and easily nauseated when on meds!
 
@puppy love So glad you're home. There are challenges in the days ahead - just tackle them one at a time. For me the lack of sleep and this persistent need to use the washroom (and usually not getting there fast enough because I move so slowly) are exhausting. I sorta had a moment this morning and wasn't very nice to my hubby. I really want to be normal again, I feel like I have a lot to do that I'm not up to yet and it's frustrating. But I think we can only take things one day at a time, and be patient. I can't believe it's only Day 13 for me - it seems much longer ago than that.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Glad you are at home.
You were smart to request a nonsmoker. Surely they will comply with that simple request.
Dogs are the best therapy around. :dogsniff:
 
@PuppyLove It sounds like you're doing great. Happy to hear that you are home and making progress:)


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@MajorHeidi , I agree, dogs are the best therapy!:puppysmooze: I realize that the cat people think the same about their furry babies!

Thanks for all your words of encouragement. Today is postop day 5 and I think I'm doing pretty well. Sleeping is my worst problem; I just can't get comfy and stay asleep. I took a Benadryl with my Norco today and slept three hours.:sleep: Woohoo! I'm going to try that again tonight.
 
@PuppyLove will be 21 days for me post op on Wed, and I haven't slept through the night since i got home. I get up around 1:30 am for lil bit and 4ish (potty time lol). It is frustrating, but normal from what i have read. I am so not a napper and i take 3 or 4 cat naps (no more than 45 min each) through out the day and I think that contributes. I take Tylenol during day if needed and 1 Tramadol at night to help me relax. The other night i took a tylenol pm and slept straight thru till 4 am. I hope it will only get better :)....Sleeping on your back, when you are normally a side sleeper totally stinks and that im sure plays a role as well. :) Can't wait till you do your 1 week update...crazy how fast the time goes :) :friends:
 
Today is post op day 7. I've slept in the recliner the last two nights- last night slept four hours in a row (twice) :wow: I even slept through the kids running around getting ready for school. That is a big accomplishment for me!

PT came yesterday (much better than my visiting nurse experience) and chastised me for my power recliner- said I should be using my leg muscles; I did not push that conversation any further. I have more pain today- she did a strength eval and I think she may have pushed a bit far? She did tell me I can walk without the walker and helped me practice with the cane. I still use the walker when I need to carry things around the house, as I attached a basket.

I had a nausea patch in the hospital, which worked great. I started munching on prunes on post op day 1 and added some occasional Metamucil when I got home- haven't had a constipation problem. I also drink a lot of water - at least 100 ounces a day. That also helps with my walk-to-the-bathroom therapy. I appreciate everyone's frankness about this issue in my pre op reading- helped me stay on top of the potential problem.

I expected swelling after surgery, as I have venous reflux issues and had frequent lower extremity swelling (esp. rt. side), but I guess the recliner has helped with that. I feel like I'm doing pretty well. My brain is still a bit fuzzy at times, I have to think about which leg to lead with, and remember not to twist to the right side when I'm lounging. My pain is tolerable, and thanks to the BS mantra, I've stayed on top of it.

Great thanks to all my hippie buddies. I wouldn't be doing this well without all of your advice, encouragement, and prayers.:thankyou:
 
@PuppyLove All I can say is WOOHOOO doing the happy dance for you :) :happydance::egypdance::spin::dancy: Sounds like things are going well...Makes me smile :) :flwrysmile: p.s im almost on 3 weeks and I still have to stop and think what foot climbs up or down first :)....haha
 
@PuppyLove Incredible report! Good for you - especially avoiding the constipation issue. I honestly think - even tho I tried and thought I was doing everything right - that issue alone cost me about 4 days recovery progress. Hippies-to-be: Definitely start daily prunes (or LOTS of prune juice) while still in hospital to keep things nice and soft.


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@PuppyLove I am glad you got some much needed sleep. Whoop Whoop! And thanks for the heads up on constipation. Something I am not looking forward too, but I will buy what I need to get by. Keep up the good work!
 
Hi @PuppyLove!!! So glad to hear you're doing well! I hope the kids and hubby are pampering you as you recover! I'm surprised that the physio is pushing you to move to a cane after only day 7. I'd say follow your gut and if it doesn't feel right yet, don't do it (remember the PT isn't in your body only you know what reaction your body is having and how it feels). Another thank you from me regarding the constipation issue. I know I had heard the same happened to a lot of women after childbirth so I ate All Bran Bars while I was actually in labour and boy was it worth it because it never happened to me. I will follow your advice and start with prune juice in the hospital :). Take care and keep updating us as you can!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom