THR PuppyLove's New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Sharri I ordered prune juice off the menu at the hospital a couple times, but they were these little 2 oz containers - ended up not being nearly enough. If you can get someone to bring you some from outside, so you can have a larger quantity, it will work better. And remember the straw!


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
For me, Sunsweet Ones ( indiv. wrapped in a container) were the way to go. They taste great; I don't like sweet juice and prune juice is too strong for me). Used them for previous surgeries and they haven't let me down. That, and water, lots of water.

PT wasn't really pushing me, just saw I was cruising with the walker and gave me another option. Plus, I hate crutches. I use both, depending on how I'm feeling and what I'm carrying around the house. Walking doesn't hurt, unless I overdo it. I am more bothered by my lack of energy and occasional shortness of breath. I've been feeling so good that I have to keep reminding myself that I had surgery last week!

I had my first venture out of the house today for my son's school awards ceremony. They opened the doors at the "locked" end of the gym so I wouldn't have any kids to trip over. Forgot to bring a chair, but the ones there were an appropriate height. I discovered that my event endurance is about an hour. The car ride was not uncomfortable; it was about a 20 minute trip. Now I'm back relaxing in the recliner. So far, so good! :thumb:
 
I had my post op appt. with the PA today. He said my incision looks great and to leave the bandage off:happydance:. He gave me permission to sleep on my nonoperative side with pillows to keep hip precautions. I tried that in the recliner after I got home but only lasted about 20 minutes- will try it in bed tonight. He also cleared me to go to outpatient therapy, so I don't have to deal with home health anymore ( those of you with great home health experiences, count your blessings!) He seemed happy with my progress and reminded me that I just had major surgery and not to try too much.

I have a dull ache at the surgical site and muscle aches down the operative leg. I've been keeping up with meds, ice, elevation, and rest and it seems to help. I can't wait to ill I can get in the pool and work in the yard again. I'm trying to be patient! :)
 
Tomorrow will be three weeks since surgery, and I am feeling so much better than I thought I would be. :happydance: I'm going to outpatient PT and graduated to a cane last week. I'm allowed to walk on a treadmill to practice my "heel- toe" and gait. My pre surgery pain is gone and I just have a deep soreness from surgery and the manipulation and cutting of muscles. I called the OS today to request non-narcotic pain relief- I've been on Norco and take it 2x daily, so he switched me to Tramadol. I know many of you have taken it but I never have. My incision is completely closed and PT has me doing massage to prevent attachment of scar tissue. I can handle outings of an hour or two, then it's rest time. I spend a lot of time with my legs up in the recliner and haven't had any swelling. I generally just ice at night. My surgery and recovery process has been a huge blessing in my life, and Bonesmart made the whole journey a lot easier. Thanks so much to all of you! :flwrysmile:
 
Great update! You are doing well!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@PuppyLove..Congrats on all your progress. You sound very happy and that is encouraging. I am having surgery tomorrow. Please do keep us updated on your progress and many more blessings to come.
 
@PuppyLove. I thought of you.. My daughters golden Riley is being tested for a heart condition. I am beside myself with worry. She has a murmur and slight enlargement of left side of heart . She has a ultrasound tomorrow. She is so worried. Riley is 1 1/2 years old . As I mentioned my daughter went thru the lose of our 1st golden livi. Livi was only 5 when she died of hypothyroidism and died in a seizure in the house. I am so worried about how my daughter will feel if the news is bad:(


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
  • Agree
Reactions: VF
@psychteach I am so sorry to hear about Riley. I don't think anyone can realize how special a Golden is until they've shared their life with one. Please keep me posted on Riley- hopefully, it will be easily treatable.
 
6 week update:
I'm doing so much better than I thought I would at this point! I can't even remember what the bone on bone pain felt like. I sometimes have some pain near my incision, and muscle pain from reactivating them, but that's all. Some days I take a few Advil, but that's all for pain meds. I go to PT 2x a week and do daily PT myself at home. My knees are really bad, so PT has tailored my exercises around them, plus given me some to do in the pool, which really helps. They also put Kinesio tape on my incision and showed me how to massage it to prevent adhesions.

My brain tends to forget about the surgery, which leads me to doing more than I should, but my body quickly kicks in. Yesterday at church I held a friend's baby (haven't done that in eight months and I used to be a neonatal nurse). It was fun til he got fussy and I walked with him- I paid for that today! I've been out shopping with my daughter and went out with the family Friday and walked for about an hour- probably could have done more if the streets weren't brick and uneven. I don't even know where my cane is right now!

My OS gave me permission to drive at 4 weeks and also took away all my restrictions at that point. I'm finally finishing up some home improvement projects and having fun with my family. Life is so much better!

I feel kind of guilty writing this as I know some of my pals on this site are having problems, but I want to encourage those who are considering surgery. It has made such an improvement in my quality of living. Next up will be my knees! :flwrysmile:
 
@PuppyLove That is wonderful news that you are getting your life back again and the little things really do make it all worth while don't they? Good luck with your knees and hope they last a while longer for you.
I feel kind of guilty writing this as I know some of my pals on this site are having problems, but I want to encourage those who are considering surgery. It has made such an improvement in my quality of living.
Please never feel guilty about doing so well - there are loads of members like me who are pre-op and rely on the good news story and I am sure your friends who are not having the smoothest of recoveries are very pleased for you.
@psychteach - I do hope all goes well with Riley.
 
Hey puppy love!! @fulafoto So glad to hear your great report!! Isn't it amazing!!! I feel the same:) Riley is doing well.. Seems it was a congenital murmur.. But not a heart issue. I worry with goldens . I was so careful in choosing a breeder but my daughter was in college when she got Riley and did not do as much research.. Goldens are so overbred. Thank you for asking . Hope your golden family are well too:)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@PuppyLove So glad to hear your update...You sound like you are doing so awesome. I felt the same as you guilty at times when i wrote an update, but a very very good friend @fulafoto shared with me there are so many people here that need to hear good and bad, so we just have to hope that we help people and reassure them that recoveries do go smoothly too. Makes me smile you are doing so well :)......
 
Thank you so much for your kind words. All of you have made this a much easier journey for me"
 
@PuppyLove Glad to hear you are doing well.
I want to ask you about doing PT in the pool.
I also have crappy knees. PT doesn't make me do squats cuz they hurt too much to do.
I do a bunch of exercises in the pool as well as out.
I love love love my pool. But I don't ever think what I do in the pool makes a difference. Do you think it does?
It just feels so easy on any of it. I guess I should try squats in there, too. ha
 
@PuppyLove So glad to hear you are doing so well! :)

@MajorHeidi My knees are bothering me also. They have for a couple of years. I haven't tried my exercises in the pool yet, but I wanted to mention... I noticed a huge difference in how I felt after swimming (before THR). For about the last 3 years, after swimming, I would see that my knees and even hip didn't bother me as much. I was swimming laps, not really doing exercises. I would just swim freestyle back and forth across the pool for about 20 minutes. I would also do a lot of stretching... stuff I could never do out of the water because I didn't have the balance. I am going to get started in the pool again next week. My pt said to try marching in the pool and walking across it as much as I wanted. He said really anything in the pool is wonderful exercise. I just wanted to share my experience in the past. I was literally amazed at the difference I felt in my knees after swimming laps... so much so that I have considered looking into a swim spa or a heated pool so that I could swim in the fall and spring also.
 
That sounds good @younghippy
I love the pool so much I think I figured it couldn't really help much since it was easy and enjoyable. I will keep up with it....
Thanks!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom