THR PuppyLove's New Hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're doing very well, @PuppyLove ! I had a headache in the hospital too. The cause could be an after-effect of the anesthesia or from the pain meds (or lack of caffeine). They gave me Tylenol which did not help much. Mine went away after they changed the oral pain meds. Okay, get some rest now!
 
Glad you are doing well today, and will be going home tomorrow.
There's no place like home to recover.
 
@PuppyLove Yeah :welome: to the other side my "hippie" friend..I am so glad you did little update..Been checking all day.. So far so good it sounds like. I did have nausea med put thru my intervinis. I also had headache at the base of my skull in back of head, and was because of the pressure of laying on back of it. It went away after i brought in my own pillow...Hang in there my friend...One day at a time...Keep positive it soo helps :) :egypdance: :loveshwr:
 
@PuppyLove , I'm so happy you are recovering so well too. I haven't been having headaches, but I found out hearing aids don't work any better even though they are washed thoroughly. :shrug: :snork:
We have made it to this side and now it's all downhill from here on, I will continue Prayers for you as I know they will be coming my way too.
Yup, fishin' within two weeks is my goal...

Dave
 
Hi @PuppyLove! So glad to hear you are doing well!! Keep resting and update us as you can, but resting will be so important for you I"m sue! I'll be watching to see how you're doing :) Sleep tight tonight!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@Puppy Love Yes, I did have a brief headache the evening, I think, of surgery day. Didn't bother me much but I was on a morphine pump - gave myself a click and off to dreamland. Did you have a spinal? If so, headache can be a common after effect. Tell the nurses, they should be able to give you something. My only significant issue with nausea was right after I got out of recovery. They started me on a anti-coag IV drip right before the ride to my room. No sooner did the bed stop moving than I had to ask for something to throw up in. But then I was fine. Other than that, the pain pills they sent me home with we're a bit nauseating, but nothing significant. Passed quickly. I didn't have a patch, but I think they may have been giving me something in my IV for nausea because I really didn't experience much at all.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hang in there @PuppyLove ! Your body has been through quite a shock. Easy does it, rest when you can. You are on your way! :happydance:
 
Thanks for all the encouragement- you guys are great! The physician assistant (PA) came by last night and said I had degenerative joint disease and avascular necrosis (AVN). I didn't get any gory details, But he said they put in a liner, which vastly decreases risk of dislocation. Last night I walked 850 feet in the halls. The nurse took out the Qball today. I've had male patient care technicians (PCT) who give me privacy in the bathroom. I drink lots of water, so I have frequent trips to relieve myself. No bowel movement yet, but I just started munching on prunes. I'm trying to not have that horrible feeling of constipation.

Just finished occupational therapy and Physical therapy sand they called me their "rockstar"- Hope that means I'll discharge today. The food is pretty good here, but there's no place like home!:egypdance:
 
@PuppyLove....You are a "Rock Star" woohooo :happydance: So happy things are going well...You are correct when you say "there is no place like home"....My nurse told me you usually start moving bowels on day 3 or 4 and mine was day 4...nothing major but remembering how the nurse said it hmmm oh ya.."you broke the seal" lmfao :heehee: sorry if that offends anyone...I still take colace every other day at home because I take an iron pill every day....So keep on rocken.....I love your posts...they make me smile :loveshwr::friends:
 
@Sue629 Good to know about the 3-4 days. I don't normally have a problem with constipation, and I ate very easily digestable foods (chicken noodle soup, lots of water, which is standard for me, juice) the day before surgery to try to clean myself out early. This is a forum about medical topics, so if anyone is offended they can just stop reading that post! I was a neonatal ICU nurse for years and had to describe the color, consistency and amount of baby poop every day. Plus, after giving birth, you lose all sense of modesty in a hospital setting
 
@PuppyLove. Amen to that! For me, I had "good bowel tones" in hospital and was passing gas early on, but nothing started moving til Day 9! Eek! And, of course, it was not going anywhere. So yesterday, in desperation, I sent hubby to get prune juice. Three hours after I downed 10 oz (quite easy if you use a straw and try not to stop to taste) followed by a cup of HOT green tea, I got some significant relief. Repeated 10 more oz before bed at midnight (tea got cold cuz I was in the washroom LOL) and now I'm accomplishing something on each trip to the washroom. A bit worried that my first PT in an hour will be interrupted because it appears every time I stand up, I must GO! I may call her and see if I can reschedule to tomorrow.

My advice from lesson learnt - as soon as you feel strong enough to bear down (without pain on your incision), start to drink large quantities of prune juice - or munch on prunes - but my 86 yr old mum-in-love says ALWAYS follow with a hot beverage. You should be moving within 12 hours.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
So glad to hear that you're doing so well @PuppyLove!! Sounds like you've got good pain control and are moving around well already :) :) I just came home from my pre op appointment and am starting to get excited,surgery is now just under two weeks away! Take care of yourself and keep posting the updates, will be thinking of you and hoping you get to go home soon!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
I was finally discharged at 4:00. I'd been munching on prunes (I bought a package of separately packaged ones) all afternoon while I waited. I got home at about 5:00, Watched the NCIS season finale with the family, ate dinner, then the constipation resolved itself. I really prefer Metamucil (psyllium acts like a broom and sweeps out the the bowels). If you want to try Metamucil, please check with your doctor or pharmacist as it is contraindicated with some medication.
I covered my bandage with plastic wrap and tape, then took a shower! It felt wonderful :yes: Now I'm off to count sheep. Goodnight!
 
I'm so encouraged by your updates! Glad to hear you made it home okay. I hope all is going well with the dogs. Take care of yourself!
 
@PuppyLove so glad you are home! I'll post your official recovery articles here so you can refer back to them:
First are the mantras ....
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom