Guest viewing is limited

THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Hdold.. Thank you .. Hugs:) @ waterman1 i plan to go slow withPT. I am looking more to develop a proper walking movement as before I did not bend my knee when walking due to pain. I had a limp. It is a conscious thought I need to put into walking correctly and building up some muscle strength in front of leg that has gotten weak from no use. Slow and steady


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @psychteach. You absolutely need to strengthen those muscles again. After two hip replacements, walking "normal" for me is a little more difficult because of loss of muscle strength. We are working on that in PT and it is getting better. My PT is great though as he is always telling me if it hurts to stop and doesn't push too hard. After 4 sessions of PT I can tell my strength is getting better in those muscles that are needed to walk without waddling like a duck! LOL. Sounds like you are doing great. After my first hip replacement I was on tramadol and ibuprofen. The tramadol will clog you up a bit, but some good prune juice and a couple of stool softeners ought to do it. I found a light prune juice made by Dole I think that really tasted pretty good. Take it easy this first week and you'll be shocked at how much more you can do after one week. It really is an amazing surgery. :yes!:
 
I can't guarantee it is made by Dole, but I don't think there are too many companies that make prune juice. The light version was not too strong and a little sweet. I hope he finds it. :)
 
I don't agree. Pt helped me regain a normal core, strengthen weak areas of which there were a lot from poor gait.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
@pyschteach. The toilet is due was just the worst part of the recovery....I took a stool softener every day and it really helped....cos clogged up you don't want to be! The walking comes in time......practice makes perfect...it's hard to retrain yourself after walking so badly before the op...but in a short while you will be walking upright and properly...it's just amazing....Chrissie xx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
@psychteach the slow and steady approach is the best, and to anyone else reading this, you may to check out the following article which provides some approximate timeframes around the healing phases and processes (and relevant nutritional information) for you to read.

Healing Phases & Nutrition
 
Day 4 okay so I hate raisins and I found out that prunes are basically mega sized raisins! Oh that was hard to eat but I had some success after using my Lamaze breathing I was taught during childbirth. Happy for that milestone. I had some swelling around knee last night that is causing it to be a little uncomfortable to bend it while walking. Stiff. I Also had the milestone last night of first shower .. After 20 minutes of wrapping and taping with Saran Wrap from my husband and him staying with me I took my first shower. I have physical therapy and nurse coming today and I needed to wash off that hospital dirt! I feel bad as I do not like being in position to ask for help ( my own issue) but my husband is doing everything. He normally is the cook and the food shopper .. I put food away and wash dishes.. He did it all.. He is a great guy but I do feel awful. He says one day he will have some proceedure down the road and he will get payback. One of my worries is about my blood levels. Although much better when I left hospital I am still anemic and have heavy periods. Doc was not worried but I will gain and lose blood every month and I want to get that up to a good level. I am pale!i will let you know how my first therapy session goes. Have not started breaking bad.. Plan to do they this afternoon .. And yes ladies I see heels and a beach in my future! ( not at same time of course!)

LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@psychteach I don't know what it is about us women ….we have such a hard time accepting help. I was just like you with regards to my husband…..I hated being depended on him……to the point he was upset at me. To him this is what a partnership is all about. When I was emotional I would cry every time he helped me shower or walked holding me to the bathroom…..lots of crying. The great thing is I only needed him for a short time….and when I look back on it now I realize what a gift he gave me……the world comes in on top of us and we all get busy….when I look back now it was just the two of us getting through this together. You husband is right life is a long road and someday he may need your help.

I know the blood level is a concern. I have not yet started taking iron…..but got my blood checked at 2 weeks and with resting and eating well I brought it up 1 point to 10. I luckily don't get the dreaded periods anymore so that is a huge bonus for me.
 
Heels, bikinis, beach ... well, maybe all at the same time in Jersey! Anyway congratulations on your shower milestone! I had my husband right there with me too first time showering. We're really lucky to have such wonderful, caring spouses! Because my blood count was low like yours, the doctor prescribed some supplements which possibly may be helpful for you too: Vitamin B-12 (1000 mcg), Folic Acid (800 mg), and Poly-Iron (150 mg). I take 1 of each per day.
 
@psychteach @Hdold I just want to say that my husband was my angel! I never ask for help either, but after this surgery, we don't have much choice. He was so attentive and helpful, even through all of my emotional crying episodes (and there were ALOT of them). Now, at 9 weeks, I am suddenly feeling normal. It's a miracle. I feel the worst is behind me. I told him last night "Thanks for sticking by me. It meant so much to me." And he said "Of course. I love you, sweetie." It brought me to tears. After 42 years together, it has brought us even closer!
 
@psychteach How great that you are home and on your journey to a pain free life:) Just like we have to let the pilot fly the plane we sometimes have to sit back and let others care for us. I find the older I get the less resistant I am:) It won't be long and you'll be doing for yourself.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®
 
Hi Hippie Buddies - Just reading here all the kudos to supportive spouses/partners and wished there was a sticky thread where we could maybe post a pic and introduce and honour our amazing caregivers. Certainly I would not have gotten through any of this without my wonderful hubby. Even now, as I'm getting stronger, he is still right by my side whenever I need anything. I am so blessed that he works from home - so all I need to do is text him and he appears from his office within minutes.


2014May5 - RTHR Direct Lateral Approach
Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
This "needing help" stage is very short @psychteach . Just go with it now and don't stress. Things will get easier with time and you will soon be able to help out a bit. One step at a time!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom