THR Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side

Status
Not open for further replies.
@M1ke haha.. it is funny that we all found TV to be entertaining.. I had no idea you had not seen my New Girl post! Netflix and BS posts kept me going for first three weeks! but BS really got me through! One twinge and I was on line reading posts to see if anyone else had same? I still do that when I feel a NERVE flare up.. I do have to say try house of cards w/out the meds.. it's a good series.. and I need to try breaking bad too! Jen.. see all that you have to look forward too? Rock that new hip!
 
@dkirk0530 yes the gas .. Lol. Thought tonight was gonna be the night.. Nothing. I think after my cup of coffee in the morning. I am using a walker right now. A little apprehensive of walking on it but getting better. I have a tendency to walk with one foot in front of another and I realized that is how I walked before my hip went bad. Trying to learn to walk spacing my feet out more . I really have very little swelling.. Feels really stiff like all say.. Slight bruising.. Not much. So glad it is over.. Now I am going to get better .. Not worse:)


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
@psychteach so glad you are home. Loved reading your post- that's about the only time I've been grateful for early-onset menopause! I can't believe I've been home almost a week. And yes, like @dkirk0530 said, it's amazing when you get up and leave the walker behind, then wonder if you'll need it when you're across the house. I've had to relearn how to walk,and I'm constantly trying to make sure the correct foot is going first on steps. I'm hoping fuzzy brain and stiffness will work itself out soon. And yes, now we are going to get better! :yes!:
 
Yes! I knew you would do it. Sounds like things are on the right track.

I'll return to house of cards soon. There's no way I could do it the first three days when I was taking oxy haha. I swear I hate that stuff. No danger of me becoming an addict that's for sure.
 
@M1ke, I had the same experience with House of Cards. It is definitely not a show you can follow while taking Oxy. I have since watched the first season and thought it was brilliant!
 
@Jp9294

Lol funny stuff. Gotta be on on point for that show. I'll start real soon.

I watched walking dead seasons 1-3 as well. Easier to follow. This coming from a guy that normally doesn't watch tv!
 
No advice here on the television viewing -- somehow missed that part of recovery! So happy you are home and doing well. Enjoy . . . pamper yourself . . . watch TV if you must and let us know when we are heading for the beach
 
and it's funny when the nurse asked you if you have passed any gas! uuhhhh... yep.. big one coming now, wanna listen? okay.. another check in by nurse, any gas? uggghhh.. yep, another round of tooting.. thanks, looks like you are progressing well! (almost like childbirth) ugh.. I rememember those gassy days. Nothing better than getting past that first BM! Thought they'd have a ticker tape parade for me!
@dkirk0530 Oh Dianne you crack me up :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
 
@psychteach , welcome home. Don't forget the mantras! And I will post your official post op threads here so you can refer to them again:
- rest, elevate, ice and take your pain meds by the clock
- if it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physiotherapist - to do it to you
- if your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again
- if you won't die if it's not done, don't do it
- never stand when you can sit, never sit when you can lie down, never stay awake when you can go to sleep!
Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery
Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Activity progression for THRs
Home physio (PT)
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
 
Day 3 update: I am doing pretty well. I have to keep telling myself it is day 3 as I am an overachiever! Pain is managed with tramadol every 4-6 hours and Tylenol. I slept most of the night. Got a headache from the tramadol that upsets my stomach so that is my biggest issue right now. I got up myself this morning. With my walker went to bathroom and kitchen made a cup of coffee and then plopped down in my recliner exhausted! I have glue incision and it is a little less than 4 inches. My surgeon leaves it covered for 2 weeks till after post op visit and just tells me to watch for any leakage. Nothing so far.. Looks good. Very minimal swelling. Slight black and blue just around incision. Learning to walk correctly is a challenge. Starting PT today or tomorrow. My goals for today ? Shower and a poop.


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
Last edited by a moderator:
One bathroom trip at 4. The back sleeping is killing me. Doc says I can sleep on my good side.. Waiting a couple of days


LTHR Direct Anterior May 19, 2014
 
He let me sleep on either side. Do what he says.


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart®

Right anterior approach on April 15, 2014
 
@psychteach
Glad to see that you are recovering so well. I'm with you on my main goal today is a BM!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@psychteach, you said in a post to another member, "I get tired really easy so I just do the bone smart mantra ice elevate in my recliner"

Just want to say
[Bonesmart.org] Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side
[Bonesmart.org] Psychteach is ready to move on to the other side
 
@psychteach Hi you...you will see each day that goes by you will be like wow that was a little easier.. Regarding sleeping on side. My pt just told me to do this on Monday or at least try to sleep on my good side. I tried and after 30 min it ached so each night i try it again....the other night i went from 4:00 am to 6:15 on my side with of course a pillow between legs :)......You are doing great..The hard part is behind you, just try to be positive and let yourself heal :) Hugs :)
 
good morning @psychteach …glad you slept well….the upset stomach because of the meds is hard. You are such a little thing try and eat something to keep yourself well. I grazed all day…..just little bites often.

I have only started sleeping on my operated side….but I did sleep on my other side all the time. You will find yourself getting stronger hour by hour at the moment.

Relax and allow yourself to be pampered... you are now on the positive side of recovery……..:flwrysmile:
 
Man, you guys make this surgery stuff a riot, plain down and out funny, funny stuff going on here!! I gotta be on a more serious note - Psychteach just a thought here about most of my PT was very basic and never progressed beyond walking up and down the driveway on a cane because the other leg flared so badly. Six weeks later I have a strong, painless left leg and I am doing breaststrokes in the pool now! So listen to Josephine - your hip will probably repair and recover just fine with very little activity. Relax, watch movies, elevate, sleep, brought me a great recovery...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom