Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress report

@Dearjr - and others -

This is the article I was thinking about:
ROM (range of motion) information
It gives a lot of information about ROM, how it is measured etc.

Quoting from the article, this is the list I was thinking of:
"These degrees of flexion are required for the following activities:
- 65° to walk,
- 70° to lift an object from the floor,
- 85° for stair climbing,
- 95° for comfortable sitting and standing
- 105° for tying shoelaces."


As you can see, you don't need a huge amount of ROM to have a functioning knee, although more than 105 degrees is nice..
 
Great! Start with small rides and before you know it you will be able to go farther.
 
How wonderful that you're back on the bike- it's a great feeling. As for flexion, I'd like to be able to kick my own butt so no one has to do it for me!
 
Why is it harder to walk than to bicycle? 5 miles on my bike was so much easier than 2.2 miles on foot.
 
I would think because riding is not weight bearing and the motion is smooth rather than putting your foot down and getting a jolt. I was able to continue riding long after I gave up hiking but near the end, I felt every little bump or uneven surface on the trail.
 
Yeah, I was able to ride up to my surgery, but was unable to walk more than a half block before I had knee pain. The last ride was starting to feel a little uncomfortable though.
 
10 weeks now. I'm able to sleep without meds for the last 3 days. Still need one dose first thing in the morning. I really need to walk more.Thanksgiving dinner was rough on my knee and I've been resting and elevating since.
 
Hooray for sleeping without meds! To me that is milestone! Thanksgiving was a push for me as well, but it was worth it, wasn't it? I am not walking much yet either. All in good time.
 
Well, I have been kicked out of the beginning PT class. I'm now in the advanced class. The only difference is that I do the excercises unsupervised. I'm sore after yesterday's PT, and am icing and elevating. ROM is 132 at 11 weeks.
 
That's an excellent ROM. Is your extension good, too?
You're walking plenty and you're back on your bike. That should be plenty of exercise. Do you really need PT as well?
 
Extension is very close to 0. I'm terrible at resistance exercises at home, so every 2 weeks, when I go to PT, I wind up with sore muscles as well as the swelling in my knee. I really don't think I need any more PT classes, so I guess I'll get my nerve up and tell my therapist. I'm still having pain when going up stairs, but he told me that would eventually disappear.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I really don't think I need any more PT classes, so I guess I'll get my nerve up and tell my therapist.
It's your decision, remember. The therapist works for you, so the choice is yours.
 
Cancelled my PT. Feeling very lazy because it's cold. Yeah, California cold is different than everyone else's cold. I'm being a baby. Pain level is about 2-3. Should I be still taking Tramadol or should I be considering this normal?
 
It's only about two and a half months since your surgery. it's OK to still take Tramadol if you need it.
If you do decide to try getting off Tramadol, reduce it slowly. Coming off too suddenly can produce some nasty withdrawal symptoms in some people. Gently does it!
 
How often during the day do you take the tramadol? You might start by spreading the doses and seeing how you feel. I would say it wouldn't be unusual to still be taking it a couple of times a day.
 
I still take it at night and when I get up in the morning. I'm able to get by after that without any, unless I go to PT. Since I've decided I no longer need PT, I should be okay to go without during the afternoon and early evening. ROM is at 132, and I'm still taking perscription Naproxen 2X/day. What kind of withdrawal symptoms can I expect?
 
Don't expect withdrawal symptoms. Just be aware that some people get them. You may not, especially if you reduce slowly.
The symptoms can vary. Some just feel generally rotten. Others get shivery, have runny noses, nausea etc.

It's never a good idea to stop any pain meds "cold turkey".
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom