Guest viewing is limited

TKR Progress report

I have a spin bike, which hurts my wrists, a treadmill and an elliptical, which is easier than the bike for rotation. I also have 3 bicycles, a roadie, a hybrid and the step-through that's on the trainer. The drive down south was easier than the machines.
 
Almost 8 weeks....last night was the first night without any meds. Did a lot of tossing and turning and going to the bathroom. Normal? I didn't drink any more water than normal. Pain is about 1-2. Tolerable. Afraid to exercise more and have to go back on meds. How long is normal to be on Tylenol? Tramadol?
 
Some people still need at least Tylenol for as long as 4 months. It sounds as if you still need to take something, even if it's only at night.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I agree---tylenol for at least 4 months for me.
 
Tylenol, by itself, simply doesn't do anything. I really need the Tramadol and Naprosyn with it, or my pain level is a 4 to 5.
 
On a different note, would a compression sleeve help or hurt when I walk? Sometimes it feels like my knee needs a brace and my IT band gets a little sore. I'm only walking a half mile at a very slow pace.
 
Almost 9 weeks and ROM is 130. I hate PT. I'm going to ride my bike tomorrow.....outside. I have discovered that my knee doesn't like inclines. Walked 1.6 miles today. I've lost all of my fitness. I hope my ride is better.
 
That's fantastic flexion, and so soon! I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone with a different surgeon and a different type of implant. :chinstroke: Enjoy your bike ride and this gorgeous sunshine!
 
I have a small car and getting in and out requires considerable knee flexion. I feel guilty about the complete lack of exercising I do at home. I go to PT every 2 weeks. So, you really can increase your ROM without working too hard. To my benefit, I didn't have a lot of swelling or bruising, but after PT, I have to elevate because he always flexes me too far before I can stop him.
 
That's fantastic flexion, and so soon! I'm beginning to wonder if I should have gone with a different surgeon and a different type of implant.
I don't think a different surgeon or a different type of implant would have made much difference. It's just that some knees recover faster than others, but they all get there in the end. It has a lot to do with the state of your knee before surgery.
Since everyone's knee is different, we do tell people not to compare knee progress.
 
No bike ride today, as knee has flared from yesterday's PT. Seriously considering not continuing these sessions.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to know whether to continue or stop. With ROM at 130, you are at goal. Of course you will get a bit more in the months to come. I like PT, because I do different things every time. Once I get bored, I am sure I will quit. I feel like I have lost all my fitness also. I am beginning to do gentle general exercises, and trying to take it very slow. You are doing amazingly well, and are an inspiration!
 
I bought the book Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation by Daniel Brugioni, M.D. and Jeff Falkel, Ph.D., P.T., both of whom had total knee replacements. They have provided a year long rehabilitation plan which I intend to follow, incorporating their guidance into my personal training plan. One thing I have learned from Pilates is that different exercises and activities target different muscles but also, tend to use, strengthen, and possibly overuse those muscles while allowing the opposing muscle to weaken. This can lead to imbalance and problems because ideally these muscle pairs should be equally as strong. That is why I am going to add Brugioni and Falkel's exercises to my training plan so while I am rebuilding my endurance and overall fitness cycling, hiking, swimming and kayaking, I am also working on strengthening on the individual muscles dedicated to the knees. For you runners, cyclists, swimmers, skiers, paddlers, I recommend this Pilates book: Pilates for the Outdoor Athlete by Lauri Stricker. Also, while going back to Amazon to get the author's name, I found this book:

Pilates for Hip and Knee Syndromes and Arthroplasties With Web Resource which was written by a Pilates instructor and nurse who had a hip replacement and an orthopedic surgeon. Just ordered it!
 
Thanks for the info about ROM goal. My PT was vague about that. He just said the goal was to match the other knee.
 
@Celle when u said we all get there what did u mean?

We all don't reach the same final rom

My is wanted me to get to 120
I'm at 117-118
I assume it's good enough to do my favorite activities and routine life things

M
 
I meant that we all recover, to the extent that our individual knees dictate - and that is sometimes impacted by the state of our knees before replacement. Some achieve a greater ROM than others, but it's really function that matters, not ROM.
Yes, A ROM of 117-120 will allow you to do most things, unless you want to do some yoga poses. Somewhere, I saw a list of ROMs needed to do certain activities. Give me a day or two and I'll find it and get back to you.
 
I had seen where a couple people said they got a ROM of 135 and I asked my PT about that since I'd been told that I'd get no more than 120. (Although I've already reached 123.) She said that for most activities, you would not need more than 120 unless you are a catcher or do other squatting activities. And yes... thinking about yoga and some Pilates moves, I can see needing some modification. Probably won't be doing the classic cat stretch -- at least the leg position -- for a long time if ever. I can live with that though.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom