Guest viewing is limited

Hip Infection* problem

I can only imagine how terribly hard this is.
I'm so thankful you got through the surgery and I'm praying for this infection to be cleared once and for all!
You have so many folks rooting for you...and will be there in spirit with you as you endure this rough part.
The wound vac is amazing.
My sister had horrible gangrene set in to a wound on her foot due to severe diabetes and cancer related neuropathy.
I just knew she would lose her foot.
I believe that the wound vac was responsible for her being able to save it.
Try to do all you can to stay positive, eat well, and stay strong .
Love and healing hugs coming at you from across the pond, dear @clodaghcov .:friends:
 
Last edited:
I am so sorry you are going through such terrible suffering, I can’t begin to imagine your pain. You are in my thoughts. I wish you a complete recovery snd the strength to achieve it.
 
Hi there,
Wondering how you are you doing?
Hopefully you're feeling okay and optimistic.
I'm assuming you're still in the hospital and wondering if you have any idea how long it will be?
We always seem to rest better at home.

I keep hearing great things about the wound vacs. Have they used one on you before?
Please let us know how you're feeling when you're up to it.
Praying for your healing and sending a big hug.
@clodaghcov
 
Add me to those anxious to know if you're okay?
Huge hugs coming at you!:loveshwr:
 
Thank you for thinking of me, its been a hard week but I think I am surfacing and although weepy feel better in myself.

I am up on my crutches and feel very safe which is a huge relief. They are doing large horrible stairs with me twice a day to get my confidence back and although dithery at the beginning I think it is just fear. The pain is fairly well controlled with Tramadol qds and paracetamol and then just the boring ferrous sulphate etc. I have been icing day and night since the op and really that is just as good as pills. It's not something given here routinely but they know I need it. I have never had Zopiclone at night before but at least now I'm not lying awake worrying.

The bug they have grown is Proteous which is a bowel/urine bug god knows where they have come from but I think the feeling is the Daptomycin IVs have been suppressing things but suddenly overtook..

Bone infection came to see me today after their meeting with a plan. I will continue on IV Daptomycin for six weeks from this surgery and for the next 2-3 weeks will also have 1gm amoxycillan bollus tds and then they will prepare me to change to oral Clindymycin as well for another 8 weeks. The ROC nurses will continue to come home every day to monitor and do my IV.

Everybody is very sad and disappointed this has happened again and been very supportive whilst I was so very ill. There have been lots of questions about why they let me get so ill, I hope lessons will be learnt. My spacer is in a good position I'm told but I have started the ball for getting all my xray etc onto a disk as I have nothing for this five year period.

Now is not the time to ask about a new hip. I didn't imagine it will be this year, the only thing I know is that yes, I will have a new hip which will be different to anything I have had before. Also they have confirmed the dislocations were caused by the infection, which makes me feel slightly better.

The worry and tears are purely how many times more can I cope with this. It is such a hard road back and takes so much effort. I will never have physio other than at this hospital in the hydrotherapy if necessary, I knew those exercises she made me do were wrong.

Sorry this is so rambly. I have just tried to cover anything of interest to any of you.

The only thing they want me to do is eat and keep positive and well, as I said some days will be easier than others!! but I will try so hard.

Love to you all and thinking of Mireille and Fractured this next week ready for their next adventure. Thank you everyone xxxxx
 
It's so nice to hear from you @clodaghcov. I've been worried about you and obviously am not the only one.
Your concern, disappointment and uncertainty all feel normal given the circumstances. This has been a long rough ride. I'm happy that you're feeling good enough to leave us a full update.

It's great to read your pain is well controlled and they're supplying you with ice. It sounds like you have a strong support system and will be closely monitored with a nurse stopping by each day. That's wonderful and hopefully will be reassuring to you.

I'd feel better also understanding the dislocations were a consequence of the infection, rather than an isolated problem of unknown origin.

You're a strong woman, I know this is wearing on you but you'll make it through. We're here, we care and will be with you every step of the way. Please know that.

Sending a hug, prayers for perfect healing and for your comfort and peace of mind.
 
@jane1022 Thank you for your thoughts, I hope by this time next week I may be home, scary but exciting. I am wondering if anyone has any special recommendations for keeping my nutrition high during this difficult time, my body must be exhausted having gone through this and all the antibiotics that it entails 3 times in 4 years. I have now been ok to go back on my supplements, magnesium, vitd3, multi vit and turmeric, I can only try. Every time a dr comes to see me they say, you must keep well and fight,its exhausting to hear when really i honestly dont kow what more i can do, maybe one of you has more ideas? I am thinking of starting Azathantin i may have spelling wrong this is to address the whole immune system, Thank you--another day nearly over and to get this healing going.xxx
 
Hi, dear clodaghcov. It's nice to read an update from you.
I think of you often while on the forum and wonder how you're doing.

While I'm not a medical professional or nutritional counselor I will share what I've learned over the years.
First and foremost, I'd eliminate all sugar from my diet. All processed foods. Bad carbohydrates. Alcohol.
I'd try to determine if I was gluten or dairy intolerant because through my understanding both gluten and dairy suppress some people's immune systems. Sugar is known to decrease immune function. I'd eat protein throughout the day in the form of meat, fish, eggs etc and I'd strive for 5-9 cups of non starchy vegetables daily. Protein is not only good for your immune system but for your body as it heals from surgery.

I think it's wise and very important for you to work on your immune system especially because it's necessary for you to be on antibiotics. I've read many times that 70-80% of our immune system lies within our intestinal tract. The antibiotics not only kill the bad bacteria but the good along with it, so I'd work extra hard to not ingest anything that taxes your immune system. I'd take a good probiotic and also Vitamin D as you mentioned as it is touted as beneficial for good immune function.
Again, this is personal opinion only because you've asked for ideas, I figured I'd weigh in.

Read up on immune function and how to eat to obtain and support a healthy immune system.
Sending love, a hug and prayers for perfect healing :prayer:
@clodaghcov
 
Whilst you’re in hospital I’d ask to see the dietitian. I don’t know about the UK but here in Oz you can request their input in hospital if you have had a complication, have a chronic disease or simply have nutritional issues. I think trying to keep on top of your nutritional needs is very important.
 
@Jaycey @Gidget Everyone is jumping around a little, the ROC nurses who gave me my IVs at home have been to see me so more tears. Although the Hoover gadget thing didn't have any collection when removed, my wound is leaking in 2 spots, not red but well and truly leaking. I am frightened it may mean another washout. I have been weighed, lost 3kg so I am to have protein tds plus veg and fruit and also protein shakes tds and no sugars, really constant protein.

I have been changed to oral Clindamycin 750mg bd and with that and the Daptomycin i had so hoped things were under control, now im not sure. Of course friends and family are bringing me constant fruit supplies. I just crave fresh air, my fan has gone day and night for the ten days I have been here, it is hot.

I have enjoyed the tennis and I do think of you all and enjoy reading the old threads. Tomorrow is another day, please make it easier for so many of us xx
 
@clodaghcov I so relate to how you are feeling. Trust that medical staff are keeping track of your numbers. I'm glad you are getting the protein you need to build your energy.

Two years ago this date I too was stuck in hospital with no plan for discharge. It was SO hot and there were no fans. Hang in there my friend. The end is in sight - it's just the waiting that is so tough.
 
I’m pleased to hear the dietitians have come on board and you have an eating plan in place.

A few years ago I was an inpatient in a major surgery ward and all patients were admitted at least 3 days pre op to be put on a high protein, high calorie diet to optimise their recovery post surgery. Yes, even patients with very high BMIs were preloaded with calories and protein. It was all new to me but made a great deal of sense and they had very successful outcomes from some very complex surgeries. (my favourites were the bags of potato crisps for mid meal snacks).

I hope your wound heals soon and it stops leaking but is it a case of better out than in?
 
Thinking of you.
I hope this week brings some positive news.
Wishing you peace and comfort in the midst of this.
Stay strong. We're here for you.
Hugs
@clodaghcov
 
I am thinking of you and praying for you.
I know there will be brighter days ahead so we just have to get through these rough spots.
Keep the faith, dear @clodaghcov .
I will too!:console2:
 
@Layla @Mojo333 @Gidget Well today i enjoyed a nice cheese omelette and then poor dr came to have peap under dressing and powee never have i seen such a collection or mess, but as you say Gidget it cant stay in there but took a good hour to ease up and clean the room, I suppose now its a question of if they do washout? Just have to wait and see and had already had a nice shower and hairwash!! Hugsxxx
 
Glad you were able to get cleaned up and keeping some nutrition in you.
Know you are not looking forward to a possible wash out but want then to do whatever necessary to get this thing WELL.
I do hope the staff are kind to you as its quite a ways for me to come to give them any "what fors" for not treating our friend well!:bignono:

Prayers and hugs still going your way from myself and many others here on Bonesmart!:loveshwr:
 
Well the wound vac is in again its a huge collection but needs to come out, will decide in a couple of days whether to do a wash out, i so hope i can get home bu weekend, My consultant came to look at it, said what a lovely easy infection is but what a poorly hip i have, but he will just battle on, i really dont want another hip i would prefer the spacer to stay if i can keep it safe, its hard toe touching, anyway what ever happens its going to be a long long time. First thing home must start looking at disabled buggies, there must be a way to deal with this, I must stay strong. Hugsxx
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom