Guest viewing is limited

THR Post surgery hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend has recommended lavender, geranium, clary sage and lemon grass, all in organic rapeseed oil as a base.

OMG that sounds DEVINE!! I think I am going to hit up the aromatherapy store and request some for 'get well' presents instead of flowers! Did your friend say what that mix is specifically for?

I just sat there for an eternity letting the warm water do its stuff.

Oh I am really excited for you!! There is nothing more soothing and refreshing than a cleansing warm shower - perfect! How was it using the step? Did it give you a bit more confidence?

The reason I got it because it was free and I wasn't sure if the audio books would be for me but I am loving it!!

Oh that is awesome! I love listening to them when I am doing other things such as sewing or more mundane tasks - it is a great way to escape!
 
The shower step was a complete revelation! It really helped with my nervousness around steps and I'm going to try it when I can get in the car as a passenger :)
My friend just asked what was going on with me and thought the oils were the best for that. Here is her rational:
Lavender - relieves pain and improves circulation, helps with insomnia
Geranium- promotes emotional wellness and can reduce inflammation
Clary sage - calms the nervous system, especially when anxious or just feeling blue, helps with insomnia
Lemon - helps with lymphatic drainage and gives a sense of feeling rejuvenated

Of course mixed in the base oil they are probably not so potent, but she's happier with that so nothing interferes with my medication. I just love using them and find instantly that I am more calm and can cope better. Maybe it's all in my head but who cares :)
Anything that works is fine by me!!
Have a great day and speak soon
Jacqui xxx


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
I just love using them and find instantly that I am more calm and can cope better. Maybe it's all in my head but who cares :)

I am with you on that one Jacqui! I adore them - there is nothing like the fresh smell that they give.

I was having a search around last night and there were some 'recipes' for bruise and wound care too - not to be put on fresh open wounds but rather closed dry and healed wounds of course. Really interesting stuff. I am going to have more of a read - gives me something positive to do! Thank you so much for sharing that information!

There were also recipes for 'shower bombs' little parcels of bicarb and essential oils that you make up and place in the basin of your shower and as the warm water hits and dissolves them you get the beautiful aroma of essential oils! How beautiful would that be! What a beautiful gift to give to fellow hippies and those facing surgery!

Oh my mind is all a flutter now!
 
@Happy girl - so glad to hear the shower step has made a difference. Do you have a shower stool too? It just helps with the confidence. It sounds like you're making steady progress. Just be a patient patient and remind yourself that it's a gradual thing this recovery lark - but you WILL get there!
 
Does anyone else have trouble getting in and out of a high shower tray? Would be grateful of any tips form anyone please. Didn't get a response to my last post :(

I found a bath mat in the shower helped my confidence with stepping onto non-slide surface. I also took my sticks into the shower with me in the early days.

I hope things are better now!
 
I am with you on that one Jacqui! I adore them - there is nothing like the fresh smell that they give.

I was having a search around last night and there were some 'recipes' for bruise and wound care too - not to be put on fresh open wounds but rather closed dry and healed wounds of course. Really interesting stuff. I am going to have more of a read - gives me something positive to do! Thank you so much for sharing that information!

There were also recipes for 'shower bombs' little parcels of bicarb and essential oils that you make up and place in the basin of your shower and as the warm water hits and dissolves them you get the beautiful aroma of essential oils! How beautiful would that be! What a beautiful gift to give to fellow hippies and those facing surgery!

Oh my mind is all a flutter now!

Ooh the shower bombs sound totally lush!! Might have to look into those too. My leg is less swollen today, but I just wish I would stop getting hip cramp at 4 in the morning!! Not too uncomfy just a nuisance :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
19 days post op today.....phew! Having an energy drain day. I don't seem to have made any progress at all in the last few days. The swelling is going down I guess and I'm not in any pain, despite reducing my meds a little. I've been looking through posts to see when the normal time would be to go from crutches to sticks, but cannot find a consensus. I know it's an individual thing but it irritates me that I don't feel as though I'm where I should be if that makes sense? Anyway hope everyone is having a great day. We have had rain in Wales for the past two days...we need some sunshine soon :(


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @Happy girl - worry not. That all sounds extremely familiar to me. 19 days is actually quite early to my mind. Don't be fooled into thinking you'll make progress every single day. For me it seemed to take me by surprise - suddenly I was aware I could cope better. I don't think there are any set rules as such re moving from crutches to stick, unless your surgeon has specified. For me it was something I felt I gravitated to naturally. In other words once I found I could confidently take steps without crutches I then used a stick to steady me and to provide a degree of confidence, and I definately wanted extra support if I was outside the home, plus it made people aware so they didn't rush or crowd me. Actually I found they were extemely courteous - holding doors open and offering seats. Languish in it I'd say! And as for energy drain - well I had one today. It can sweep over you weeks after the event. Are you keeping some sort of a note daily of where you are - that way you'll convince yourself you are making progress? Don't be deflated, it all happens in time and you will look back and see how far you've come. Keep posting - we're all here to help and reassure.:console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Miss Muffet.... Thank you so much for your kind words. I started crying as I was reading them, just shows how emotional I am feeling today. It's strange and difficult to describe but my hip feels more vulnerable almost as though I'm aware of it moving around (although that's not possible I know) while the swelling is going down, the mobility in my leg isn't any better. I keep thinking people must be saying 'goodness she's almost three weeks now and still ok crutches'. I've just got myself in a right old pickle, so thank you, your words have brought me comfort tonight :) xx


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@Happy girl
I'm at five weeks and only just starting to use one stick rather than two around the house and for short walks. I think when the worst of the swelling goes down and you get more active you do feel the muscles moving about. I've certainly felt the odd click and shift at times. I think you're doing really well for three weeks.
 
It is the rare person who is not using walking aids at 3 weeks! Most people don't walk unaided until 8 - 12 weeks on average. You've had your leg broken on purpose (!), like all of us, and who expects people with broken legs to be walking vigorously all by themselves so early? No one! Give yourself a break (the good kind) and relax and let yourself heal. ;-)
 
@Happy girl
Just read your posts. So glad you found us hippies. We are a crazy bunch but a group that has simply blessed me.

Shower issues. I was like you unsure of myself getting in and out of shower. I did not have a seat. My husband put down a mat and 2 handles on the wall of shower. One right as I entered the shower. I used that handle the most and gave me confidence along with the mat. My PT also had me practice getting in and out of shower. I had posterior so my husband had to wrap me with Saran Wrap from the waist down to thighs to prevent my incision from getting wet. Now I will say, and you can read about it on my thread, that my husband did not stay close by when I took a shower as I asked him to. He wanted me to gain confidence but at the time I was very ticked.

I had ups and downs as well just like everyone else. When I came home from surgery, my leg was fine. But a few days later my leg started to swell along with my knee. It took about 2 1/2 -3 months for the swelling to subside.

It takes awhile to gain confidence. I'm 4 months out now and still am abit cautious. Yesterday was the first day I could actually tie my shoe and trim toe nails!! I haven't been able to do that for about a year. That was a big confidence booster. I walk 3 miles a few times a wk and I was able to finally ride 8 miles on my bike the other day. (My husband and I are bike enthusiasts). :bicycle1: No, I won't be doing tricks on my bike nor 30 miles a few times a wk this summer. But I am at peace about that. Considering where I was last year at this time, it truly is a miracle and a blessing.

So good luck and hang in there. It does get better. I will check in on you again!! :flwrysmile:
 
@Happy girl
I'm at five weeks and only just starting to use one stick rather than two around the house and for short walks. I think when the worst of the swelling goes down and you get more active you do feel the muscles moving about. I've certainly felt the odd click and shift at times. I think you're doing really well for three weeks.

Oh thank you, the clicking and shifting really unnerves me and makes me not want to move for fear of doing some damage. Feel a whole lot better now I know it's normal :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
It is the rare person who is not using walking aids at 3 weeks! Most people don't walk unaided until 8 - 12 weeks on average. You've had your leg broken on purpose (!), like all of us, and who expects people with broken legs to be walking vigorously all by themselves so early? No one! Give yourself a break (the good kind) and relax and let yourself heal. ;-)

That's true, kind of puts it in perspective...thank you xx



Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@Happy girl
Just read your posts. So glad you found us hippies. We are a crazy bunch but a group that has simply blessed me.

Shower issues. I was like you unsure of myself getting in and out of shower. I did not have a seat. My husband put down a mat and 2 handles on the wall of shower. One right as I entered the shower. I used that handle the most and gave me confidence along with the mat. My PT also had me practice getting in and out of shower. I had posterior so my husband had to wrap me with Saran Wrap from the waist down to thighs to prevent my incision from getting wet. Now I will say, and you can read about it on my thread, that my husband did not stay close by when I took a shower as I asked him to. He wanted me to gain confidence but at the time I was very ticked.

I had ups and downs as well just like everyone else. When I came home from surgery, my leg was fine. But a few days later my leg started to swell along with my knee. It took about 2 1/2 -3 months for the swelling to subside.

It takes awhile to gain confidence. I'm 4 months out now and still am abit cautious. Yesterday was the first day I could actually tie my shoe and trim toe nails!! I haven't been able to do that for about a year. That was a big confidence booster. I walk 3 miles a few times a wk and I was able to finally ride 8 miles on my bike the other day. (My husband and I are bike enthusiasts). :bicycle1: No, I won't be doing tricks on my bike nor 30 miles a few times a wk this summer. But I am at peace about that. Considering where I was last year at this time, it truly is a miracle and a blessing.

So good luck and hang in there. It does get better. I will check in on you again!! :flwrysmile:

Goodness, thank you so much taking the time to write to me. It feels great to be here. As I don't have any physio until week 5, there isn't really anyone to ask about anything really. I don't see my consultant until 12 weeks post op unless there is something wrong of course. I don't know what I would have done without the forum and all the lovely people here :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
he swelling is going down I guess and I'm not in any pain, despite reducing my meds a little.

That is progress girlfriend! You are a champ!

I keep thinking people must be saying 'goodness she's almost three weeks now and still ok crutches'.

Ya know, if someone breaks a bone in their body they are in plaster for 6 weeks and weak after they take that plaster off. No questions or expectations are put on them.

My manager said to me, oh you will be right to return to work at 6 weeks won't you, I said "well they are chopping of the tops of my legs so I might take me a little bit more time than that". That kinda put the whole situation into persepective.

In this fast paced world that we live in we and our bodies are expected to work at the same pace. We simply don't. We need peace, calm and healing time. We need to breathe. It is just exhausting isn't it! It is all about expectations.
 
Well today I'm officially at the three and a half week point in my recovery. I'm managing to walk a little further every two days or so, still on my crutches. My wound looks good, and I'm continuing to elevate and ice regularly. I feel as though I'm improving every week, and managing to keep my positivity in place :)
@Josephine - I have today though woke with a very tight sore area in my mid thigh area and also in my groin. Does this sound normal? I don't think I have overdone anything, if anything I'm being a bit on the cautious side. Many thanks x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Meant to add...mid outer thigh area


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@Jaycey...could you help re my last posts please?


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom