Guest viewing is limited

THR Post surgery hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@JMACCA and @Happy girl - you just need someone with you when you approach and leave the shower. As I mentioned earlier having a shower step, shower stool and good quality shower mat will make you feel more confident. You'll also need help with drying your lower body to avoid bending. The getting in and out of bed thing I worried about. Having log leg makes it tricky initially and I did use a leg lifter but it was recommended that I didn't rely on it, as the reason is it is awkward is because your muscles haven't woken up yet but that does improve eventually. Remember you have your upper body and good leg to shift your body around and the technique for entering and leaving bed will be fully explained at the hospital by the Physios and nurses. They won't let you leave if you haven't mastered it - and I did without trouble. It's just a question of learning. All will be well. We managed it so you will - so don't worry
 
Thanks @Miss Muffet....that really helps. I will have a look on Amazon now. I fancy the idea of a small no slip step, yes I've got a mat at the base of the shower. I'm sleeping in my recliner at the moment. I can't seem to get comfy in bed. Thank you so much for getting back to me, feel better already :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@JMACCA....thank you soooo much!! I'm not having physio at the moment until I'm 5 weeks post op. They did show me but now I'm by myself it seems a bit daunting. Im looking into the non slip step option :) I am sure that will help


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
I used a tub transfer bench, photo below. I was able to sit on the end with my back to the tub, then turn to the side, gently lift my legs over and put them in the tub, then turn until I was facing the faucets. Took the shower while sitting down, and did this until week 6. It was so heavenly to feel so safe and secure, and to be able to shower by myself. You can order online and get it quickly. We have a pharmacy nearby that sells medical equipment, and my sister went and got it for me. The expense was totally worth it to me.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post surgery hip
    Screen Shot 2016-06-25 at 9.40.08 AM.png
    53 KB · Views: 194
@Happy girl Shower step works great! How high is the step?

Post my RTHR I had to get in and out of a bath (with shower over it) that had very high sides. I used a bath step on one side, and had a grab bar to steady me getting in. A non-slip matt in the shower is also a must.
 
Brilliant :) thanks for all the advice


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Hi @Happy girl
Hope you manage to get the shower dilemma sorted out, I have a low step in shower and had my first one yesterday sitting on a shower stool ,,,, pure heaven. I too am still sleeping in the recliner, getting a little fed up with it but I do take a short nap down on the bed during the day to be flat out on my back, it feels nice. My op side quad and knee are in constant pain, more so than my hip. Maybe because my leg was lengthened it caused some stretching of those muscles and tendons.
Keep fighting the good fight :thumb:
Cheers:martini:
 
Aw @msmo sorry to hear you are in so much pain. I hope things get better soon. How is the walking coming along? I'm trying to do 10 mins round the house 4 times a day. Are you still on Clexane? I'm struggling now because my tummy is so bruised. I've got another 10 days injections left :(
I've ordered the shower step from Amazon so can't wait for a lovely shower!! I've also ordered some lavender massage oil for my thighs and swollen knee.
I'm considering trying my bed next week. This time though I'm coming straight downstairs if I'm in pain.
Speak soon, keep smiling xxx


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@Happy girl As I write this I'm watching Wales v. N. Ireland in the Euro 2016 round of 16 :)

For 2 weeks post-op it sounds like you're doing really well. The swelling in my right (operated side) foot didn't start to retreat until week 3. There are still some signs of it in the evening at nearly week 6.

Kyle

PS N.Ireland own goal! Wales 1-0!
 
@Happy girl I am taking an oral blood thinner xarelto, so did not have to continue with those nasty injections (I'm a big baby). I can only imagine your poor tummy. In the hospital they injected the fatty underside of my upper arm

Walking is coming along, hurts to put full weight on my leg still. Not too worried about rushing this process, it will all happen in good time.:chillpill:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
you just need someone with you when you approach and leave the shower.

Oh I think I won't do it until I can do it myself! I am super-private - silly I know! I am fortunate not to have a step into the shower but I am arranging for a shower stool and a bathroom stool.

There are so many gadgets around - I know there are a lot of 'gimmicky' gadgets but there are so many good ones out there as well - it is a whole new world.

@Happy girl I hope you get that shower step soon and can indulge in an amazing hot shower! Have you got some nice soap to treat yourself to? At least you will have some lovely massage oil for after the shower. :bath:
 
My dear girl - you are only two weeks out! Give yourself a break. Of course you're feeling wobbly and uncertain. That will settle in another couple of weeks though.

Aw I know Josephine, my head seems to think I should be well on my way now. Just need to keep it under control!! I'm just longing to have my log leg back, that's the most frustrating part for me :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
What seems impossible one day will be easy the next. Just give yourself time to heal. Slow and steady!
 
@Happy girl As I write this I'm watching Wales v. N. Ireland in the Euro 2016 round of 16 :)

For 2 weeks post-op it sounds like you're doing really well. The swelling in my right (operated side) foot didn't start to retreat until week 3. There are still some signs of it in the evening at nearly week 6.

Kyle

PS N.Ireland own goal! Wales 1-0!

Ooh I was watching the footie and being a Welshy girl was very very happy!!! Thanks for letting me know about the swelling, I can feel it getting a touch better, am hopeful now I am in week 3 that things will start to subside :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Oh I think I won't do it until I can do it myself! I am super-private - silly I know! I am fortunate not to have a step into the shower but I am arranging for a shower stool and a bathroom stool.

There are so many gadgets around - I know there are a lot of 'gimmicky' gadgets but there are so many good ones out there as well - it is a whole new world.

@Happy girl I hope you get that shower step soon and can indulge in an amazing hot shower! Have you got some nice soap to treat yourself to? At least you will have some lovely massage oil for after the shower. :bath:

Oh I'm totally with you re the whole privacy thing. If I can't do it myself then it's not getting done :)
My friend is an aromatherapist and suggested some high quality lavender oil for my swollen knee and ankle. Apparently it can help with swelling and tightness. I will let you know how I get on with it and if it makes a difference


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
What seems impossible one day will be easy the next. Just give yourself time to heal. Slow and steady!

Yeah I'm trying hard to be patient and strong enough not to rush things :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
How my day goes....16 days post op
Just thought I would do an update on my progress as I am now 2 days into my 3rd week.
Activity
I am walking 10 mins every 2 hours from 9am to 9pm, then ever other hour I am doing sit down exercises: foot pumps, leg raises, buttock clenches. I managed this morning to prepare my own breakfast :) I live on a hill so walking outside is a problem but yesterday for the first time I managed a few mins up and a few mins down with some walking up and down the drive to the road.
Pain
I'm happy to say my pain is well controlled. The only pain I get after walking is a dull ache in my groin area. I'm still frustrated with the swelling and the feeling of my leg being like a log, I think there are small changes day to day, but because they are small I am probably not registering them.
Sleep
I try and settle around 11pm. I find that I sleep 3-4 hours, then I listen to my audiobook and manage another 2 hours after that. I have a sleep in the afternoon which I love :)
I'm not comfortable in bed so am still sleeping in my recliner. I will try again at 3 weeks and see how I feel.
Mood
I had a bad time of it day 8-13, and really wished I hadn't had my hip done. That has passed now and I'm more positive about the future. My daughter is in Vermont, USA at the moment working at a girls summer camp and I miss her so much. I'm enjoying the time to do some old fashioned writing and I know she enjoys receiving my letters. I have also discovered the joys of a good audio book and find that if I wake in the night the presence of a voice means I don't feel quite so lonely.
All in all then, I actually feel ok. I feel as though I'm well on my way. The support here is invaluable and to all those who are preparing for surgery, I know it's daunting but you will get through it. We can do this together :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
My friend is an aromatherapist

Oh you lucky duck! I just love essential oils - I stick them in anything - shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser anything! I am wondering if your friend would have a good recipe for promoting healing or and uplifting recipe - that would be so nice on a hot washer/flannel in the shower/basin.

And WOW! you seem to be so aware of your 'patches' times when things are working and when they aren't! It is really great to read your routine and how you remedy the times when you need to rest. Are you keeping a journal (apart from on here)? Audio books are so fantastic aren't they! What are you listening to at the moment?
 
Oh you lucky duck! I just love essential oils - I stick them in anything - shampoo, conditioner, moisturiser anything! I am wondering if your friend would have a good recipe for promoting healing or and uplifting recipe - that would be so nice on a hot washer/flannel in the shower/basin.

And WOW! you seem to be so aware of your 'patches' times when things are working and when they aren't! It is really great to read your routine and how you remedy the times when you need to rest. Are you keeping a journal (apart from on here)? Audio books are so fantastic aren't they! What are you listening to at the moment?

Ooh well my shower step arrived and I had the most lovely shower ever!! I just sat there for an eternity letting the warm water do its stuff.
My friend has recommended lavender, geranium, clary sage and lemon grass, all in organic rapeseed oil as a base. I massaged it into my knees and thighs last night and again this morning. It feels so comforting and warming. I'm listening to a historical fiction at the moment...The Throwaway Children. It's about orphanage care in the 30s and 40s. It doesn't sound very exciting but it actually very good. The reason I got it because it was free and I wasn't sure if the audio books would be for me but I am loving it!!


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom