Guest viewing is limited

THR Post surgery hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Happy girl :wave: My thigh is bothersome as well. The pain has changed from being achy in my quad and knee to now feeling very bruised on my inner thigh. I'm not quite able to use a cane yet as putting full weight on my leg is still quite painful in my thighbone. Getting closer though! Hope you are noticing daily improvement and hopefully your leg pain eases up soon!
 
Hey @msmo....lovely to hear from you :) it's so reassuring when you know you are not alone especially as we are close in our recovery. I'm still swollen around my knee and lower thigh and I think this is stopping my progression. I'm still on crutches even though the booklet I have from the hospital says that I can come off them anytime between 4-6 weeks. I'm 4 weeks on Friday so I'm still at the lower end of that time scale anyway. Are you back in bed yet? I'm still in the recliner but going to try at the weekend. It's the boredom that's killing me :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Haha @Happy girl, the BOREDOM...eeegaaads it's killing me too!!! I Haven't been back to the bed yet, contemplating giving it a try this week. The one thing I did try was driving. Getting in and out of my SUV was a bit troublesome but I did it. The driving part was easy, and somewhat liberating even though I didn't go very far.:yes!:
 
Goodness you've been driving @msmo wow!!! I don't trust myself yet but I'm going to see how I am at the end of next week :) I'm hoping to have a trip out to the garden centre on Saturday xx


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
@Happy girl it happened quite innocently, I went to the garage to put garbage in the bin and thought to myself, gee I should really start the car so the battery doesn't go dead. Once I was in the car and had it started, I couldn't resist going for a spin:heehee:. Enjoy your trip to the garden center, it's just so nice to get out!
 
Well I'm just over 4 weeks now and yesterday I progressed to sticks from my crutches. I'm still suffering from a bit of log leg but it's so much better than it was. With my new found confidence I thought I would try and sleep in bed....big mistake!!!! It's 4.20 am and I'm back on the recliner :(
Ah well...baby steps and all that xx


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Oh and forgot to say that my hubby has done his back in..so no trip to the garden centre today. Not to worry, the weather is rubbish anyway!!! Hope everyone is sleeping soundly xx


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
So you are in better shape than your hubby now, huh! The garden center will wait until you are both ready for it. Keep on keepin' on!
 
Keep trying on the bed! Have you thought about having a kip in bed during the day for an hour or two? What is it about the bed that stops you from sleeping?

Congrats on moving to sticks! That is awesome!
 
Keep trying on the bed! Have you thought about having a kip in bed during the day for an hour or two? What is it about the bed that stops you from sleeping?

Congrats on moving to sticks! That is awesome!

I've been trying to figure out what's wrong, and I honestly wonder if it's my mattress? I tried to mimic the same position as my recliner but no joy. I've got a mattress topper because I always found my bed uncomfy before to be honest. I'm trying not to be too stressed about it and as with everything else it will happen in its own good time. I'm managing to walk with 1 stick for 2 lengths of the house but am leaning heavily and I'm incredibly slow. I had a dreadful limp before so don't want to go back to that. I've still got some tightness and swelling in my hip but I think I've progressed from feeling as though I've got a football in there to a tennis ball. Talk about Rome wasn't built in a day!!! [emoji13]


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Hopefully over the next two weeks you'll see your recovery becoming a bit easier. If my memory serves me correctly, the greatest improvements were at six weeks, two months and three months. I was fortunate enough to have purchased a used hospital bed, so I was able to sleep in it from day one. You have a very positive attitude which is half the battle. Hang in there @Happy girl, you're almost there. :-)
 
Talk about Rome wasn't built in a day!!!

Nope it wasn't, but it is tough waiting for your body to heal...((hugs)) to you. I really hope that you can get to a point where you can have a super-duper sleep in your bed, but liked you said, there is no point in getting stressed about it :-)

I always found my bed uncomfy before to be honest

I would imagine that the feelings around your bed would be magnified 100% while in recovery. I considered like others to look at hiring a hospital bed, they are reasonably priced here in Aus, but instead we decided that hubby would sleep in another bed and I would have loads of pillows instead :-)
 
Well I've finally reached the 5 week mark and I'm feeling so much better both psychologically and physically.
I can now walk on one crutch although I'm not overdoing it and walk with 2 outside of if I feel as though I'm leaning. I now don't need any painkillers until around 4pm, which makes me feel so much better.
I just have one question please if anyone can answer....I have got a 'full' uncomfortable feeling in my groin (when I recline, the further I go back the less uncomfy it is ) and around my scar/outer thigh/outer buttock at
area (not the scar itself) The groin does not hurt on walking but the outer thigh pain does. Did/Does anyone else have this? And when did it start to go? For my own peace of mind I would love to know what this is.
@Josephine would appreciate your knowledgable words of wisdom :)


Right THR
10th June 2016

Sent from my iPhone
 
Happy girl,
Josephine will be asking you some important questions to help her answer your concerns.
You are still very early in recovery, it could be swelling from over doing.
 
Most likely you have swelling, when you sit there is less room for the swelling, and you can feel it.
The outer pain is probably normal healing pain, and your muscles getting used to having to work, now that your hip is replaced.
 
Just completed week 7, and gazing into week 8 with so much longing!!!!
A quick update from me :)
Doesn't time fly when you are having fun!! Or not as the case may be!!! Well I have turned a few corners in the last 2 weeks, I feel stronger and more able to just do things in general. I started my physio 2 weeks ago (I'm in the UK) and I've got a gentle exercise programme including the following exercises:
Heel slides, knee lifts, half squats, hip bridges, buttock clenches and a few others. I think if I had been walking unaided without a limp she would have just left me to it, but she seems on a mission now :)
I am now driving although I felt completely illegal for the first few times!! I do a massive amount of driving with my job so I was surprised to feel myself lacking in confidence the first couple of times.
I'm managing to cook small meals and do light housework so I'm definitely on the mend.
The one thing I'm really longing for is to be able to walk without my stick and NOT limp!!!! It's driving me mad....everyday I think that today might be the day that I can, but then I'm all disappointed because I can't. Does anyone have any words of wisdom? I guess I'm worrying a little because I'm due back at work on the 5th September.
Hope everyone is doing ok xx
 
Hi - yes doesn't it fly! Great to have your update.
Sounds like quite a lot of progress but can't your Physio advise about the limp if you're concerned?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom