THR Post surgery hip

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Jaycey Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I have to say it makes sense because my body is telling me to rest I'm sure of it [emoji4] the ice seems to be working and yes I'm using a small tea towel xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
Hello, @Happy girl! Congrats on making it through the surgery and the hospital stay. I do hope you will take the advice given here about resting and giving your "angry" cut bone and stretched soft tissues a chance to heal. There will be plenty of time after they have healed to strengthen again. I do think it is harder for younger people to have a THR because they are used to being more active, are expected by others to recover quicker, and often have more obligations out there in the world, such as jobs and children still at home. I am retired with adult children and had zero expectations about how quickly I would recover. I was only concerned with doing the barest minimum of self-care for quite some time. I felt no frustration and just went with the healing flow! All the best to you!
 
Hi @Krista...thank you so much for your kind words! Everyone is so lovely here and I don't feel as though I'm by myself. I'm definitely getting into the healing flow way of mind. Although I think I might be getting to be too laid back as I made a mess of my Clexane injection tonight, I managed somehow to only give myself half the amount! I daren't take another injection just in case but I will make sure I concentrate more tomorrow :) take care and hope to speak soon xxx


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Ugh, those icky injections. I had to do them for 2 weeks and hated them. Making mistakes with meds and everything, really, is par for the course when we are on opioids and suffering from the extreme energy drain that this surgery causes. We do our best, though, don't we. Hopefully we learn from our errors, and keep on going!
 
I've got them for 4 weeks in total so still another 17 to go!! I'm counting haha xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
Hi @Happy girl :flwrysmile:

I had my surgery the day before you, we seem to be progressing about the same. I start out patient physio 3 weeks post op, so for now I am just relaxing, medicating and icing (as well as the ongoing struggle regarding ownership of the recliner with the cat). So far each day gets a little bit better, my op leg also feels longer than the left when I walk, but seems to be easing up.

Cheers to a speedy recovery!:wave:
 
Hey @msmo Lovely to hear from you and we are at the same stage!!! Hooray that's great. I've had a few blue moments today and feeling tired. I do start physio until week 4, so please let me know how you get on :)
Yeah my leg feels the same, and still feels quite swollen around the joint. But hey we are not even at 2 weeks yet, so all good.
Keep in touch, will be great to have a recovery buddy :)
Xxx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
Aw thank you @JMACCA :) I am not very patient with myself, but maybe it's a trait I can develop on the road to recovery!! Day 10 for me today...I'm waiting for the significant moment when I wake up and really feel as though I'm on the mend. It's not today, but who knows it might be tomorrow. I can wait and bide my time, it's not as though I'm going anywhere :) xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
Well I've just woken and had a strange experience overnight. I'm hoping it's normal, if not I might have been visited by aliens who have been experimenting on my hip :)
Every time I woke, it was as though the muscles around my hip were contracting of their own accord. It wasn't as intense as cramp but I can only liken it to that. The result this morning is that the area feels tired and as though I've been on my feet a lot. Has anyone experienced this? Hope everyone is ok :) and recovering well xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
I've had little muscle cramps but not a whole night's worth! Were you dreaming about dancing? :happydance:
 
I must have been Zelda :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
the muscles around my hip were contracting of their own accord.
I have this issue, but not specifically related to my hip. It's a strange combination of restless leg syndrome and muscle spasticity, and it is most active when I am lying down. In my case it is caused by multiple sclerosis. I take meds that help a lot. One is called Ropinirole, which helps with the restless leg, ant the other is called baclofen, which helps with the spasticity.

What I experience is what you describe, an involuntary muscle contraction. Prior to my surgery it was mostly my calf muscles that misbehaved. Post-op it seems like the band of muscles around my new hip have also gotten into the act. The contraction makes me want to raise my butt off the bed to relieve it. I'm hoping that as things settle down (I'm 4.5 weeks post-op) the hip muscles will go back to normal.

Kyle
 
Thanks Kyle...I'm hoping it's a one off in any case :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
Well I've just had the best two hours ever!!!! Two Co-codamol, 2 pieces of dark chocolate, an hours snooze and pain free for the first time since the op. Wasn't expecting that!!! Just shows you how things can change even from hour to hour :) xx


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
How you can have a great afternoon and then the worse night ever is beyond me :( was feeling so positive that I thought I would try and sleep in my bed again...big mistake!!! Back to the recliner it is then. Let's have a positive day everyone, and hold onto the fact that one day we will all be through this and it will all be worth it :)


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
I find that a bit of a pattern - one thing goes well so I get overconfident and try something else and it's just a step too far (sometimes literally!). The good thing about posting here is that you will see the improvements and the things you celebrate as achievements now will soon become normal as you manage to do more.

Have a good day - I hope you've still got some chocolate left!
 
Thanks Zelda...got my hubby to go out and get some more yesterday :) yeah I hear what you are saying. I guess one day it will will all fall into place and then there will be no stopping us!! Just wish I could get outside a bit more...the weather in Wales isn't too great at the moment!!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
Operation date: 10/6/16
 
Just saw the picture of your scar @Happy girl - it looks amazing! It will heal up beautifully!

While I haven't had surgery yet I understand the 'swings and roundabouts' of the emotions - somedays are awesome and others are a bit, well, :censored:

Hang in there, vent and share, and get better!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom