Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-op success is mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Judy, I too believe a positive attitude goes a long way in life! We're all dealt a deck of cards when we come into the world, and it's all about how we play our hand, that leads us to the outcome! Whenever I've played a positive hand I've always won!

Your story also proves this theory as well! Good for you!:friends:
 
7 Months Post-op Update!

I've had a very busy weekend. Started on Friday with a trip to town to shop at Tractor Supply and Lowe's. That's an hours driving time just to and from. After getting back home and having lunch, I hopped on the John Deere and mowed our 2 acres--took about 2 1/2 hours. Then I filled all the bird feeders, strewed "critter" food around the two areas designated for "critters" and filled all the hummingbird feeders. Checked and watered my tomatoes and my 4 new holly trees.

Saturday was filled with grocery shopping, doing laundry, dusting, vacuuming and scrubbing kitchen and bathroom floors, and washing the front storm door and the sliding glass door to the screened in porch.

Was up at 5am Sunday--put clean sheets on the bed, got hubby ready for the day, and went out and blew off the porch and wiped all the furniture down, and got all the food set up for lunch. Our son and his wife, our grandson and his wife and her sister, our daughter and her boy friend, and our single son were coming over to celebrate Memorial Day and eat with us.

We smoked pork tenderloin and boneless, skinless chicken breasts, and sweet potatoes. Had corn on the cob, field peas with snaps, new red potatoes in hubby's secret sauce, green bean casserole, marinated cucumbers, and dinner rolls. For dessert we had ice cream sandwiches. There was lots of talk before and after lunch. We really enjoy these get-togethers.

Now after all this activity--I am absolutely delighted to be able to boast that my knees never gave me a minute's trouble! My back between my shoulder blades is still complaining a little and the bottoms of my feet have stopped burning and aching, but my knees are GREAT! I am also able to walk down steps--a bit awkwardly--but one foot over the other with minimum discomfort now; and I can walk up easily without holding on! So still having milestones after all this time.

Thanks to all you BoneSmarties who have cheered me along my way, supported and encouraged me. It's meant the world. And for those of you still struggling or feeling you'll never make it, take heart you WILL get there!
 
Judy, you have made me sooooo hungry now! Great menu! Enjoying family times is the best ever and it looks like you all had a great time! And, your knees behaved!:yahoo: How Kool is that!

Continued success in your recovery,my friend!:friends:
 
Wow, Judy, I feel like I should get up and DO something! ANYthing! Once my knees are all better, my cover will be blown that I am basically just lazy!
 
I can assure you, Janet, that today I am doing as little as possible. Knowing I was going to have the kids over gave me the inpetus I needed to get all those things done.

I've been online a lot today, but as far as work goes----nada! And tonight leftovers in the microwave!
 
not had ltkr till 30 may but had small bar b this weekend,wife gone away with art fiends and my cooking wasnt bad.but yours can i come when i have done 7 months sounds great
 
Sure, Richard, if you can make your way to North Carolina from Edlington, UK, how could I possibly refuse to feed you?:th_heehee:
 
Never heard of it, Tim. Must be a mid-West thing. But it sounds just like a place hubby and I could spend several hours browsing in and really enjoy!
 
Judy, Thank you so much for sharing. It does give me so much hope. I do hope you are sticking around to help us to make the success story to happen to us. I also hope your kitty is still looking out for you. Please take care and continue helping us. :doggieshmooze:tashia:friends:
 
Hello fellow BoneSmarties, I had to take most of yesterday off the forum. My hubby insisted that I spend some time with him, and he was right. And I needed a bit of a break.

My web browser has been soooo slooooooooooow that today I installed Google Chrome and have been learning how to use it. I can't believe how fast it is. With Explorer I was spending about 3/4 of my time waiting between posts--so an hour on the forum netted about 15 minutes of actual post I could read. Now I can absolutely whiz through. I LOVE IT!!!!!

I have spent the last hour catching up----you Smarties have been really, really busy! And I'll be back with you some tonight and tomorrow starting around noon.
 
Judy,

You always amaze me with your can do spirit! I love it and I am so happy you are training to be a moderator! You will be super!:yahoo:
 
:biggrin: A very big hello and hugs to all my fellow bonesmarties! Here's my story to date.

Had first surgery Monday, October 24--came through with flying colors. Had no problems with anesthesia (had a spinal) and pain was so well controlled that I was mostly no more than just uncomfortable. Had very little swelling with the left knee. Got me up and walking twice on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I did so well I was allowed to take myself to the bathroom and take walks in the hallway alone. I really felt great and was walking very well.:snork:

Had second surgery on Thursday, October 27. Again came through with flying colors, no anesthesia problems, but some pain because the right knee was very swollen and tight. First time up late Thursday afternoon was a killer--pain level went from around 5 straight up to 10! :cry: It was Friday after lunch before I was able to get ahead of the pain. Only walked to get to the bathroom with assistance. Had my PT doing heel slides and leg lifts on the bed. Begged off walking.

Saturday morning, October 29, got myself up and dressed to leave the hospital and go to the rehab unit. The facility is only about a year old and is absolutely beautiful. Like going to a really nice hotel. The bathroom was outstanding with a great shower (that I didn't get to use). Just being in such a nice place really perked me up. I was given one of those icing units for each of my knees at the hospital and they are mine to keep. A PT came in and took me to the gym and did an eval on me. Left leg ROM was -3 to 102, right leg was -8 to 92. She felt I was walking very well for so early in the game.

I was at the rehab unit until Friday, November 4. I had PT twice a day and OT once a day. The therapists were excellent. They pushed but never shoved and insisted that I not allow any exercise to become painful. They were pleased with my gains and so was I. Left with left leg ROM 0 to 110, and right leg ROM 0 to 98.

HOME, HOME, THERE IS NO PLACE LIKE HOME! Boy! oh boy! was I ever glad to be home. Its just amazing, but it was like someone threw a switch and everything just felt better and seemed easier to do.

Since I've been home, I've done laundry, cooked a couple of simple meals, helped my hubby when he needed it (he's a semi-invalid), fed the cats regularly:cat-kittyandsmiley:, exercised at least twice a day, swept the kitchen floor, gotten all the garbage together to take out, and made the bed each morning. It all feels so normal. Now it goes without saying that I am taking my pain meds (2 percosets and 2 ibuprophens) every 4 hours and have been resting(little cat naps), icing, and elevating four or five times a day. I try to spend about three to four hours a night in bed, then I just retire to my lift recliner for the serious dozing.

I am just doing so well and feeling so good, I think maybe if I pinch myself, I'll find that I'm just dreaming. Or maybe it has a lot to do with positive vibes and right now I've got loads of them.:yes 4: Time to take meds. More later. Judy
I only now got to read your surgery story. It sounds like you had an excellent surgery experience even w/ a little more swelling on the right. I really like your attitude, I can tell you are a 'glass-half-full' person. Good for you!! My surgery is less than four wks away, helps me to read successes. Thanks for posting.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
Yes, Leisa, I have been incredibly lucky with my TKRs. I did a lot of research, found this site about a month before surgeries, and followed the BoneSmart way almost to the letter. And I am a very very positive person and just rolled with the flow of recovery.


I'm now 8 1/2 months post op and love my new knees. They are still slightly tender to the touch, still swell some if I overdo, and going down steps is still a challenge; but I can stand for long periods of time, walk at a normal pace for quite a while, and dance when I feel like it. I can do all the normal things without thinking about them too much, and I know that they will continue to get better and better.

So between my hip replacement and my knee replacements, I have a new pain free life that I'm lovin'. And I try hard to encourage others on the forum to follow the BoneSmart way to the best recovery possible on their way to a new pain free life.
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
 
Judy, you are an inspiration! I am 5 1/2 months post op now and it is great to see that there is still improvement out there for me. I can walk ok, rom is good, just started getting more pain on going upstairs. I' m not sure if I've done something at the gym although I noticed swelling is less now and wondered if this might mean bits of scar tissue rubbing now? Mind you , today I cut the grass and went up a stepladder to trim overhanging bushes....didn't think twice just did it. Isn't life great!
 
Judy,
You are a very positive person and I really admire you! I try to stay positive but I have my days!:wink:
By the way, I think I will be making an around the U.S. tour while BJ is paying for my first class tickets!:heehee: Shall I stop in and say Hi? BJ is going to teach me to snowboard so I can put it on my resume for Dr. Maale!
I already know how to snow ski, so having both feet strapped to one board sounds like a fun challenge!:angel:

We will post everything on video, just so you know that we are behaving!:rotfl:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
Yes, Leisa, I have been incredibly lucky with my TKRs. I did a lot of research, found this site about a month before surgeries, and followed the BoneSmart way almost to the letter. And I am a very very positive person and just rolled with the flow of recovery.


I'm now 8 1/2 months post op and love my new knees. They are still slightly tender to the touch, still swell some if I overdo, and going down steps is still a challenge; but I can stand for long periods of time, walk at a normal pace for quite a while, and dance when I feel like it. I can do all the normal things without thinking about them too much, and I know that they will continue to get better and better.

So between my hip replacement and my knee replacements, I have a new pain free life that I'm lovin'. And I try hard to encourage others on the forum to follow the BoneSmart way to the best recovery possible on their way to a new pain free life.
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
Will that include BJ and I snowboarding down the mountain at 100 miles an hour?:heehee:
 
In your dreams only, my girl
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
but it's the safest way to keep those great knees!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom