TKR Post-op success is mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I had a little accident Saturday which led me to an interesting discovery.

Had spent the day getting the yard picked up, mowed, and trimmed (my step-son and grandson doing the real labor). Someone had given me a bushel of new red potatoes---so I had to wash and sort them. Had to get the bird feeders filled including the hummingbird feeders. And had the usual household chores to do.

So around 4pm when everything had settled down, the boys had left, and hubby was taking a nap, I set up a little plastic folding chair out in the yard so I could just enjoying looking at my yard, the birds, and the traffic riding by. Well, I suddenly realized I had to sneeze (pollen I guess) and there I was--no hankie or anything----so I just leaned over to the side so I wouldn't sneeze all over myself. Well, one sneeze lead to four sneezes in all, and on the last one I leaned just a little to far and over I went onto the ground on my left side.

My hip and knee hit the ground, and my knee definitely did not like what had just happened. I lay there for a minute or two collecting my wits about me. I realized that the only way I was going to get up was to put the chair back upright and roll over on my knees and use the chair to push up against. So I steeled myself mentally, took the bull by the horns, and rolled over and put all that pressure on my knees and pushed up.

What surprised me was that although it felt weird and slightly uncomfortable, it didn't really hurt to be on my knees. So I guess this means that when that tenderness from the incision finally goes away, I'll be able to kneel if I want to!

I am a bit sore still from the tumble, but all's well that ends well.
 
Judy.....I'm so glad you're okay. Those tumbles happen to us all and amazingly we survive!!! Hope you're not too sore on the day or two after. Guess you better find a new sneeze mode....:th_heehee:....or sit in more grounded chairs!
 
Thanks, Jamie. Luckily, I'm not a bit sore today. I really did feel awfully foolish lying there on the ground---sure was glad there was no one around to see me. And I do think I'm going to find a better chair for yard sitting--might have to take one of the good ones off the screened in porch.
 
Oh, sorry about the tumble, but at least you were on a soft surface. So that's good you were forced to try out kneeling. Now you know that you can do it.
 
I know it is NOT funny to take a fall like that, but I must tell you that my first mental impression was from the old Laugh In series where Artie Johnson would ride that kid-sized tricycle and just fall over on his side! I did chuckle a little. But.....I'm still VERY glad to know you're okay!!
 
Had a good laugh, what with mental pictures and all. Glad you know you can kneel, Judy. Are you numb around the knees at all? I am, and kneeling feels SO weird! But, as you said, no pain in the knee!
 
Yes, Jamie & PooShay---I completely see the humor in my fall--funny to me now that it's in the past. And I do remember Arte Johnson on that tricycle.

My numbness is mostly on the outside of the knees--the part you kneel on is pretty much alive and aware of what's going on. I'm guessing that the weird is coming from kneeling on inert metal rather than living bone.
 
Who would have thought that sneezing was so dangerous! Glad you didn't hurt yourself though.

I want some hummingbirds for my garden - all I get is magpies and wood pigeons, and some blue tits and starlings. Not that there's anything wrong with them. But hummingbirds are so cute!
 
Hummers are the most fun to watch. Wish I could send you some. I have 5 feeders in my front yard and 2 in the back. Whenever there's rain in the late evening, they just swarm the feeders. I must have had at least 2 dozen birds the other night.

I have a cat who sits on the porch rail by the feeder hanging there. He has learned that they are too fast for him, so he just watches now.

About sneezing being dangerous---years ago when I was in high school the father of a classmate was driving in our downtown area and had a fit of sneezing and wrecked his car--he was not hurt, but he did quite a bit of damage to his vehicle.
 
We get hummers at our lake house. In July when our Mimosa tree is in bloom there can be HOARDS of them on the two trees......I'm guessing 50 or more. It's so amazing to watch from our deck about 25 feet away. If we sit still, they will buzz around us as well as the trees.
 
Congratulations on both the moderator thing and surviving the fall without adverse effect. Blimey talk about not doing things by halfs!!!

Glad you're ok bar a bit sore
 
So glad you're ok after the tumble. But good comes out of bad - so you now know you can kneel. How wonderful.
 
Hi Judy

You had me really worried when I first started to read your post - I'm so pleased your knees and hips survived :thumb:. I think it's a big worry for all us TKR folks, so it's good to know we can survive all these traumas. Carry on enjoying your garden but try to avoid sneezing :th_heehee:
 
Hi Judy, and congratulations on the new moderator position, I couldn't think of a better person for the job.

I was just visualizing your falling experience as you were describing it. Glad that you are ok. My biggest fear is of falling. I have fallen twice on my bike. Once in a concrete parking lot and once in a grassy ditch on the side of the road. The grassy ditch fall did me in for about a month.

Kneeling is indeed very weird. My knee is still numb, I am told that it probably will stay that way. In my home with tile and wood floors I have one of those foam gardening pads near by for when I have to get down into a low kitchen cupboard because kneeling on ceramic tile does not feel good!

Bet your yard looks great. I get humming birds when I remember to fill the feeders :what:
 
Judy, thanks so much for sharing your journey! You're an inspiration to all of us from the start right down to the fall! :rolleyespink:
Since I have yet to experience the other side, I do enjoy reading all the different journeys that other BoneSmarties have experienced! The knowledge of others experiences will give me some understand of what I have yet to experience! Thanks!:friends:

Congrats on your being chosen as a Moderator, You're a perfect choice!:thumb:
 
Thank you, Jacky, I appreciate the very nice compliments. I have been very fortunate to be having a little better than "normal" recovery.

The main reason I feel I have done so well is that I bought into the whole BoneSmart philosophy immediately upon finding this forum. I had already read Brugioni & Falkel's Total Knee Replacement & Rehabilitation twice before finding BoneSmart, and they had exactly the same philosophy. And I felt that all these folks knew what they were talking about. I also have never been nervous or scared when it comes to having surgery (and I've had my fair share).

I wanted to share my journey in hopes that it could be helpful to others and being asked to be a moderator has allowed me to continue to advocate for becoming informed about all aspects of pre and post op knee replacement and lets me support and encourage those who seem to be having difficulties, and cheer for those who are doing great. And there are such great people on this forum--and we do have such a good time!

You yourself, Jacky, are a great supporter and encourager--always so positive and upbeat---and you have a great sense of humor. Again, thank you for the lovely compliments.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom