Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-op success is mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing your experience! It only gets better. Glad you are doing well. :thumb:
 
Judy....you are doing very, very well!!! That's a lot of activity for this early stage but it seems as though you are managing it just fine. Keep up the great recovery!
 
:mrych: It's been over a month since I last posted, so thought I'd update all you Bone Smarties on how it goes so far. I had my last in-home PT session Nov. 22. My left leg had 0 to 126 ROM, and my right leg had -4 to 112 ROM. The therapist felt they had done all they could in the home environment, and they just suggested that I continue riding my recumbent and doing the exercises they did with me.

I had the one month out from surgery appointment with my OS Nov. 29. Actually just saw his PA. He said the x-rays were great, didn't feel I needed out-patient PT, wanted me to get my extention on my right leg to 0 as soon as possible and didn't seem too concerned with flexion on that leg. Gave me an appointment for Jan.24 which will be 3 months out from surgery.

I do ride my recumbent fairly regularly, but I rarely do any exercises. I am doing all the usual things that have to be done at home--vacuuming, dusting, sweeping, doing laundry, fixing meals, scrubing floors, cleaning bathrooms, etc. I also do all the driving. I go the the grocery and push a cart, put the groceries in my car, take them out at home and put them away---now that's what I call exercise. I also mowed the grass (over 1 acre) on my riding mower (for what I hope is the last time 'til spring) several days ago. I was very stiff when I got off the mower, but suffered no ill effects as a result.

I put candles in my windows, set my manger scene up, decorated the mantle, and put a lighted wreath on my front door. My son did come over and put the 7' Christmas tree up for me, but I did all the decorating myself. I did it all in increments so I didn't get too tired----and enjoyed every minute of it. I LOVE Christmas!!!! I am having all my children (grown) and grandchildren (also grown) over Christmas day. My hubby and I will do all the cooking---they get to do all the cleaning up! Shopping was easy----I just give money now--its always the right size, the right color, and no one has every asked to return it. But I always put it in a box with candy and wrap it. I have all the food except for the fresh ham and two turkey breast and we"ll be getting those tomorrow.

The tight band around the knee sensation has all but disappeared. I find that I have no pain when I am walking. I still have that dull ache when I overdo, but I have no apparent swelling. I still have to push up with my arms to get from a sitting position. I still have some trouble sleeping--wake up every two hours and knees are usually aching--but change position and eventually fall back asleep. I only occasionally ice, but I elevate when I know I'll be sitting for any length of time. I am able to extend by right leg 0 degrees now, but my flexion is still not as good as the left leg---but I'm not overly concerned because I know it will get there in time.

I am having a really super recovery, and I am count my blessings everyday for it. But I still get a little down once in a while when that dull ache shows up or I just can't get comfortable in my chair or the bed. Then I think of so many of you who have had so many issues to deal with, and I am ashamed of myself for pouting.

I wish each and every one of you and yours a very, very Merry Christmas and a Happy, Happy New Year! Judy
 
Thanks for that great report Judy. You have had such a great recovery and your positive attitude shines through your reports. Wishing you a Merry Christmas!
 
Hi Judy, thanks for the update. Very encouraging to us on the pre-op side, if only all recoveries could be like yours:wink1:
Merry Christmas, and Have a happy 2012.:xmasmore:
 
Congrats on the great recovery. Truly a Happy Holiday for you. Merry Christmas and a Great upcoming New year.
 
Judy B.

Thanks for letting us all know how well recovery is going for you. I hope that the New Year brings just as much success as you are having now.:hapydancsmil:

Her's to a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy New Year
:reindeer::xmastree::xmasmore:

:mrych:​
 
What a joy it was to read your reports!! Your happiness comes through with each word you wrote. Thank you for taking time to share your recovery here--it has been a blessing to me and has helped take away some of my fear. Merry Christmas to you and all your family!!
 
It's wonderful to hear how well you are doing!!! Heaven knows you DON'T need a formal exercise program with all you're doing!! Keep up the great work. One Normal Life = Straight Ahead!!!
 
Jamie, could you please change my designation from TKR to Bilateral TKR? I had both knees done with just 2 days inbetween. Thanks much. Judy
 
That's having two single TKRs, Judy. Our definition of a Bilateral TKR is having both knees done at the same time.
 
Josephine, I see your point; however, I think I could say that I'm having a bilateral recovery :th_heehee:. Judy
 
Of course you are! I forgot to mention that the reason for the prefixes is so that new members can scan down the forum and easily pick out threads that are about bilateral surgery or revision, etc.
 
A BIG Hello! to all my fellow Bone Smarties :flowerysmile:

It's been a month since my last update. Today marks 93 days, or 12 weeks, or 3 months since I had both my knees replaced 2 days apart.

Saw my OS today, and he is delighted with my progress--so delighted that I don't have to see him again 'til January 24, 2013! :snork: He said absolutely nothing to me about extension, flexion or ROM and took no measurements. Just told me to keep up the good work and call if I needed to. :hapydancsmil:

I've really had a great recovery. What little PT I had (3 weeks only) was all done without creating any pain and only very managable discomfort. I did rest, elevate, and ice and take a lot of cat naps the first 6 weeks. But since PT ended, I have rarely done any exercises other then my recumbant bike. I just used my regular activities around the house and yard be my exercise and have never pushed myself beyond what is comfortable.

Now at 12 weeks, I have NO swelling, NO tight band around either knee, and the numbness around the incisions is starting to lessen. My knees are slightly sore when pressure is applied and only ache when in bed at night. I am completely off narcotics and taking Tylenol and ibuprofen 3 times a day. :yay:

I am almost sleeping normally at night. :sleep: I have always waked up once or twice during the night and still am. Knees are usually only aching if I'm on my side with knees the slightly bent. When I'm on my back with the knees straight they rarely bother me now. I rarely take a cat nap anymore, and my energy level is getting better and better. I can go for long periods and only need about a 15 or 20 minute break before taking off again. :yahoo:

I am now able to do all my household tasks and yard work (weather permitting) with no problems. I can walk for sustained periods of time without even thinking about my knees. Of course, if I'm on my feet for too long a time, it's the soles of my feet and my shins that protest .:hissyfit:

Other than my RTHR, this is the best surgery I have ever had----I would do it again at the drop of a hat. I do love my new knees and am looking forward to being able to participate in many more things than I have for years and enjoy myself.:loveshower:

Just a note to some of you younger Smarties and those of you who are very athletic---I feel, from what I have read here, that you tend to overdo the PT and,therefore, make your recovery harder and longer than it has to be. :cry4: And others rush back to work too soon. I believe a large part of my really super recovery is the fact that I have not overdone at any point about anything. Now as far as going back to work is concerned---I am retired---so I never had to consider that--so I may be speaking out of turn there.

Gosh, I have gone on and on. :th_heehee: Thanks for putting up with me. Judy
 
Just a note to some of you younger Smarties and those of you who are very athletic---I feel, from what I have read here, that you tend to overdo the PT and,therefore, make your recovery harder and longer than it has to be. :cry4: And others rush back to work too soon. I believe a large part of my really super recovery is the fact that I have not overdone at any point about anything. Now as far as going back to work is concerned---I am retired---so I never had to consider that--so I may be speaking out of turn there.

Excellent points to strongly consider here! Patience is the virtue here and, while it it tough to continue being patient for such a long time, it really does help your progress to become even faster. Many of us with that athletic mentality had to learn to be the opposite throughout recovery and to take it easy!

Than ks so much for sharing!
 
Thank you for sharing your excellent recovery Judy! It sounds like you're well on your way with no looking back. I am the active athletic type and yes I know I did too much in the beginning, but after learning the hard way that "Rest is Best" I am preaching that to as many as will listen. You are a fine example of that! Good job!:yay::yay::yay:
 
Hi Judy

Thankyou for your excellent report and just the sort of report I love to read. You have done so well with your recovery and I am delighted for you. You do make an excellent point about not over doing it and to let the recovery take it's course .... slowly. I hope to follow you in your footsteps.

Thankyou for sharing your recovery with us.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom