Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-op success is mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judy, great post and showing, once again, LESS is MORE.

I swear I'm turning into a swivel-eyed single-issue loony about this, note to self, calm down son.
 
Hello fellow Bone Smarties,

Just when you think you've got the world by the tail at 14 1/2 weeks out, reality hits you squarely in the "knee".:hissyfit:

Tuesday night I was laid back in my recliner and thought I'd start working a little on my flexion. I can go up stairs, but I still cannot go down properly. I did about 4 heel slides on each leg. I did them slowly and only to the point I was a bit uncomforable and held that position for a count of 30. Then figured I'd leave well enough alone and do some more the next day.

Well, Wednesday dawned, and when I got out of bed I realized that both my knees were unusually sore. Well, I elevated and iced several times and generally took it easy, but I was really aware of them all day. My left knee from top of knee to ankle hurt mostly when sitting and some when walking; the right knee just when sitting.

I couldn't even forget them while elevating and icing and watching my Duke Blue Devils pull off a terrific upset of UNC. Then I went to bed and was attacked by the restless leg monster. :cry: I kept changing position but could not get comfortable and could not sleep. So up I got at 2:45 am, caught up on the lastest Bone Smart posts and then watched several "The Big Bang Theory" episodes that I had taped.

Finally, by 6am, my knees finally settled down and I went to bed and managed three hours sleep. :sleep:

If it wasn't for this forum and all the experiences of others here, I think I would have been really scared about what was going on. :scare: But with knowledge gained here, I was able to realize that my rollercoaster had just taken a downward plunge that would probably just be temporary.

Right now I am feeling my normal self again. And I'm still going to work on flexion, but I think I'll be sure to warm those muscles up before I do any exercises this time.

:ThankYou:to all of you for sharing your experiences and giving your support and encourgement. Judy
 
Glad to hear you're on the way back up the rollercoaster . Maybe we should build a Bonesmart amusement park -all roller coasters !
 
Judy,

It's amazing how much a little knowledge about what is going on can help. No better place to go to get it than here on Bonesmart.
 
I'm so glad all is well again with your knees, you had me worried when I started to read your update. Bonesmart is definitely the best forum :thumb:
Take care!
 
Good for you, Judy.....hope you're back to your regular comfort zone now. Glad you were well prepared!!
 
to all my fellow bonesmarties!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
    267084136.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 126
:cheers_wine::cocktail_martini::ccheers: Pick your poison---but it's a toast to me----next Friday, April 27, I will be officially 6 months post-op!!!:hapydancsmil:

I have been blessed with a really, really great recovery. :wow2:

The only truly bad time I had was the day of the second surgery on Thursday when they got me up when I really needed my pain med--went from a 5 on the pain scale to a 10 in 10 seconds flat and didn't get ahead of the pain until lunch time the next day, Friday. :arghh:

And the only time I got the blues and almost cried was that Friday night. My hubby, who is a semi-invalid, could not be with me for surgery on Thrusday and could not get to the hospital until Saturday when I was discharged. So I was feeling mightly lonesome.:cry4:

The inpatient rehab was great; and the in-home PTs were also great. Only had PT through the month of November.

I had some ups and downs, but I had researched, read, and knew what to expect---and didn't kid myself that recovery was going to be anything but fairly long term. I was lucky enough to be off pain meds by 2 1/2 months. Used the BoneSmart cocktail 3 times a day for a while--now use it twice a day.

I am walking, driving, shopping, doing yard and house work, participating in church activities, and just living my life PAIN FREE!!!!!:yes 4:
I did walk straight into my sliding glass door a couple of days ago :DOH:---hit my head and left knee pretty good. Had a little very thin red streak appear just below the top of my incision scar and it ached for about 15 or 20 minutes. Today it feels perfectly normal.

I spent 4 hours in the yard today setting up my grow boxes and planting my tomatos. Hubby says to tell you that it would have taken a lot longer had it not been for his expert supervision. :hysterical: Was on my feet the entire time---I'm a little tight between my shoulder blades, but otherwise I feel GREAT! I look forward to getting up everyday because I know that I can do pretty much what I want to when I want to if I can afford it:th_heehee:. Am attaching a picture of "my garden" 'cause I feel so good about it and had such a good time doing it.

This surgery, in spite of the post-op pain, the swelling, the aching, the sleepless nights, the constipation, lack of appetite, and general fatigue, was worth every less than pleasant thing I went through to get to where I am now. As I tell everyone--IT WILL GET BETTER AND BETTER AND BETTER! And I am absolutely, positively THE BEST I've been in a long, long time!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
    My Garden.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 137
JUDY! Totally love your post. I had a lot of your experiences, starting with the pain that shot to 10 (i swear it was 11) and I didn't get the right meds until 3 days later!

Glad to see you did recovery right! Glad to see you sharing and helping at hers along. You care.

Hugs.

Shay
 
I am so happy for you!
Keep up the good fight.
Sandy
 
Judy,

So happy to hear your Post-op story and so glad you are doing so well with recovery. Also love your gardens. I was out for 4 days last weekend working on mine and my flower beds which are suffering from neglect since I could not be out there last year, still have more to catch up on.
 
I want to publicly thank Josephine and Jamie for their consideration and the wonderful compliment they have paid me by asking me to become a moderator on the Bone Smart forum. :blush:

This forum has meant a great deal to me from pre-surgery and throughout my 6 months of recovery. I have gotten a lot of excellent advice, much support and encouragement, and a lot of wonderful laughs! And I've so enjoyed sharing my experiences and knowledge with others here.

And now the supreme compliment, I get to "officially" do all this sharing! :th_heehee:

I just LOVE this forum--it's the bomb!
 
Congrats to you, Judy! BTW, love the garden! Thanks for sharing your inspiring story; I hope my recovery goes as well as yours. And I, too, LOVE this forum! It has really 'filled in all the spaces', so to speak, where the information I needed was lacking. I have learned so much here. Thank you, all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom