Guest viewing is limited

TKR Post-op success is mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just made time to read your thread. It makes me feel a little better knowing at 7 months post op that you were still finding some challenge to stairs. I was pleased today to tell the second graders I worked with that we would be going down the stairs a little bit slower than normal due to my surgery. Then I surprised myself with the help of two handrails doing normal foot after foot motion instead of one at a time. I'm at 8 months post op. My first months post-op were no where near the smooth sailing recovery yours was.

Hope all is well with your husband's pre-op planning.

Martha
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine! Martha, you'll feel even better know that at 16 months post op going down steps is still uncomfortable and I still prefer to hold the rail going down.

My hubby had both his knees replaced in Sept. 2012. Read his thread "Chugging Down the Track to Recovery". You'll be amazed at the challenges he's had and how patient he's had to be through it all.

Take care and keep up posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
 
Wow Judy. I have seen your posts so many times but have never read your own thread. I do that a lot. Reading peoples journeys from the very begining to see what I can learn from their recovery. I didnt realise you had your knees done only 2 days apart. To me that is bilateral. And the falling off the chair with the sneezes. Sorry but I did chuckle at the one. It was your physio that impressed me the most. How little you had with the professionals and how you just got on with it. I could not have read it at a better time as I have found out this week my ROM which was 95 in December at last visit to physio is now only 90 five months later. I realised that I had done a lot of this recovery on my own too. No physio since December, no one encouraging me to do the exercises so its so much easier to 'forget' to do them. So from this weekend I am getting back to basics. Heel slides, lifting the leg, and pressing down the back of the knee for extension. I go on the exercise bike, and can go up and down the stairs slowly but at least not one at a time. Reading your thread has given me the encouragement I so badly needed so Thank you and I am to get this flexion so much better within the next few months on my own following your lead of slow and easy. :flwrysmile: :friends:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
Always makes me feel good to think that I can do anything that will help a fellow BoneSmartie move forward and improve their own recovery. Just living is great PT and exercise, but somethings you have to make a little extra effort--and flex and extension seem to need that extra for a lot of us.

I know you can do it. Take care. I care. [Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
 
Okay, Judy, reveal one source you find such clever clip art. :SUNsmile: The bunny avatar is really too cute. :loll: Others also.

I probably am in the camp that has been overdoing the exercise, but unfortunately it hasn't materialized into ROM gains. I'm taking a mini-vacation this week. The only exercise I plan to do is trying to walk on tiptoes to help get at the tightness I experience in my calf. The last 2 trips I kept trying to keep up with the 2 hours/day routines my PT prescribed. Not this time unless it happens with the flow of events - maybe we'll decide to go swimming or for a walk... We're gathering to surprise and celebrate Mom's 85th birthday. She is 3 months post op TKR, but much further ahead than I was then, maybe even than I am now.

It is great to be able to chat with all of you.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine! Just went to Google Images and googled "bunny hugs" and got quite a few. Everything I use is available to anyone who takes the time to look. I think for my current avatar I googled something like "rabbit on computer". Sometimes you have to play around with the wording to find what you want.
I'll be changing my avatar after Easter is over to something appropriate for May and flowers.

Sometimes taking a break for PT can be the most helpful thing. I've just never stressed over numbers, don't have any need for fantastic ROM--as long as I can function without pain and do what I want to do, I'm fine with moderate numbers.

Have a great weekend! [Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
 
Hi Judy, I've been following your pre and post op threads, and must say, I am soooo impressed by your recovery and how you take care of your husband and the house and yard!! And I think I read last week, that your hubby also had the surgery and is doing great, you even posted pictures of how nice and straight his legs are now. I am truly in awe and you give me much hope, that I can also have success and good recovery and live with less or even no pain in the not so far future.

I had to look up Stanhope, and see it's "up there in that neck of the woods" where we used to go to the beach, and my daughter went to NC State, so I do know that area fairly well, from visiting. Wish it was closer, your surgeon and the rehab hospital sounds fabulous, and I would definitely check them out, but as it is, I think I'm doing ok with mine, and will make the most of it.

Hope you're having a nice relaxed weekend, and not too much rain. :friends:
 
eastside85, we lived in Rockingham when my hubby was a machinist for what is now CSX railroad. Used to go to Charlotte on weekends once in a while. Loved the stores and the restaurants but hated the traffic. Just too big for me. I don't even go to Raleigh which is only 40 miles away if I can help it. Although, I'm considering getting a Sleep Number mattress---and that means I'll have to go to Crabtree Valley Mall---oh, I just dread it.
 
I know what you mean, I haven't been to the mall in a while, the walking on stone floors is the worst. But sometimes it can't be helped. At least you can go when it's not so busy, working full time, I have evenings and weekends to do my shopping, with the rest of the crowd, really not fun!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
kbraz, that's very kind of you. I was very fortunate in my recovery---and I give much credit to the BoneSmart mantra and over all philosophy. I also believe that a positive attitude is enormously helpful when faced with such a long recovery. If my recovery story helps any member, even just a little, I am grateful.


Take care and keep us posted. We care. [Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
 
Pat, what a darling picture and so fitting for what I've read in Judy and Paul's threads. I love the cat and dog tucked in at the foot of the bed, too.
 
Hi Judy,

I've just joined and am having bilats on October 28, 2013 and decided to read your posts. First of all, you must be a super lady. Your "I'm looking out for you." is so moving to read. Each time I see it I feel hugged. Thank you for that. I hope by now you are on top of the world in all ways. I think splitting the surgery a few days apart was a good idea, but the OS is in charge. So I'm taking your experience to heart and plan to be as brave and upbeat and determined as you were. Continue to be well!

Fondly,
Malka
 
[Bonesmart.org] Post-op success is mine!
1Malka, believe me there is nothing "super" about me, but I do have a very, very positive attitude and that can take you miles. I also believe firmly in the BoneSmart mantra and followed it to the letter---it works! I'll be watching out for you on your journey.

Take care and keep us posted. We care.
 
bottomshollow. Ok, so I won't call you "super". But you sure exude a lot of love. So, I'm going to memorize the mantra and really take all of the good advice I'm reading to heart. I'll let you know when I stop being scared. Take care and be well and thanks soooooo much!

Love, Malka
 
@bottomshollow Heard it was your Birthday:
broken link removed: https://www.happybirthday-cards.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/happy-birthday-animated-graphics-5.gif
 
Your "I'm looking out for you." is so moving to read. Each time I see it I feel hugged.

I agree. Thank you, Judy.

When I had my revision, in December 2011, I used to feel so comforted by your "I'm looking out for you". It meant such a lot to me.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday! Have a wonderful day, today and every day.


Sent from my iPod touch using BoneSmart®
LTKR Sept 13 2011
Revision April 15 2014
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom