THR Post Op Struggles

Thanks for documenting your recovery here, Annekin. It is thoughtful of you to do so for the benefit of others. I hope you find answers soon.
Have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Annekin
 
I had my first appointment today with my new spine physio. She observed that I lean back on on heels when standing, so worked with me to alter my posture. This was really strange as everytime she altered my posture I felt I was going to tip over! It did however help in engaging my left quads/glutes which haven't been working properly since the operation. It's going to take a lot of re-training my body so that I move more efficiently (apparently I tense my back when moving, which is probably because my hip hurts, so I'm overcompensating.) However I need to stop doing this so it encourages my hip muscles/tendons to start working properly (as she could tell my left hip was still quite weak when standing on one leg).

Some of the exercises are similar to one's I already do, the difference is how I position my body (so to speak) in order to do them. So more concentration & correct posture when doing an exercise rather than frequency.

I also had my ultrasound today. He wasn't sure it was gluteal tendiopathy but thought it probably was greater trochanteric pain syndrome. However unfortunately there is not really any more treatment he could offer other than another cortisone injection (which obviously my NHS consultant doesn't want to do). We did discuss how an MRI should be able to tell if the prosthesis was contributing to the pain & he was surprised the one I had this year couldn't adjust the contrast to view the implant (despite it being metal). So of course now I'm considering getting a private MRI. But only if I can get a guarantee they can scan the implant/soft tissues around it. Otherwise it'll be a waste of (a lot of) money.

My NHS consultant, rather than ordering a nerve conduction test has decided to offer me yet another appointment. But not until Dec. I did speak to his secretary and asked what the appointment was for, sort of joking that I didn't want it to be used to talk me out of having the test. But she couldn't help.

I think basically I've lost faith in my consultant. I'm not sure whether I should ask for a second opinion by getting referred to another consultant. But that may mean going back on the waiting list, which took six months last time. I really don't have the patience for that! Perhaps I should just bite the bullet & go private for the nerve conduction study as well. It's £500, so not cheap. But I can get a referral from my GP which would speed things up. Even if nothing is found, at least I will have ruled it out.

*sigh* it does seem never ending. But I'll keep going and hopefully the help I received from my spine physio will make a positive difference
 
Hello and Happy Wednesday Annekin,
It's good that your physio noticed the abnormal stance so you're able to work on it. I wish you weren't dealing with discomfort and uncertainty.
I wish you all the best as you make decisions and move forward.
@Annekin
 
Thanks Layla. The posture exercises have helped a bit with my back pain which is really good. Unfortunately the problems walking have increased. Not on the flat but when my glutes & quads have to engage going upstairs/up a slope etc. I'm starting to get out of breath more when walking because of the physical effort.

So I've arranged a face to face GP appointment for a few weeks time to discuss my options going forward. Particularly as the front of my thigh hasn't been scanned & I have a bulge at the top of my thigh when lifting my leg which has been there since the operation but has lately started to bulge more near the scar . So I want to discuss this with my GP.

Basically I want to rule everything out as I still don't feel satisfied with the treatment I have been given by my NHS consultant. That said, my GP has been great, so hopefully they will be able offer some guidance, & will be happy to do all the referrals for private healthcare I'm going to ask for!
 
Good to hear you've scheduled an office appointment, Annekin. It sounds like you have confidence and trust in your GP. I hope she's able to get to the origin of your pain and formulate a plan to bring you steady relief.
All best wishes for your comfort. :)
@Annekin
 
It sounds as though your on the correct path to find out your pain issues. It can be so frustrating with the waiting to see - you wait for an appointment, then wait for an MRI or something else, then wait for results. Since you've got confidence in your GP that's totally the way to go, IMO.

May I ask about the shoes your wearing? Do you think if you had new shoes you'd stand differently? Its just something for you to think about.
 
It sounds as though your on the correct path to find out your pain issues. It can be so frustrating with the waiting to see - you wait for an appointment, then wait for an MRI or something else, then wait for results. Since you've got confidence in your GP that's totally the way to go, IMO.

May I ask about the shoes your wearing? Do you think if you had new shoes you'd stand differently? Its just something for you to think about.

I've actually drawn up a list of all the things I want to discuss with my GP so I don't miss anything, & because I just want to get answers now rather than wait for months and months for a NHS hospital appointment. It's gonna cost me to keep using private healthcare, but as you say, waiting is so frustrating.

Fortunately in the meantime I still have support from my physio & I've found a sports doctor who will do an assessment of my quads to see if there are any issues with the rectus femoris.

The podiatrist I saw said I wore good quality shoes (Merrill walking shoes). She added the lift to these. But it hasn't really made much of a difference, & she did say I may have had a leg length difference before the surgery - so trying to adjust my posture in this way may be inaffective. I'm seeing her again in a couple of weeks so we'll see what else she suggests.
 
Good Morning Annekin,
Waiting is frustrating and I'm sorry you are living with pain and uncertainty. Thankfully you have the
support of your physio. Hopefully your GP appointment is soon and you make some headway
through that visit. :fingersx: Wising you a good week.
@Annekin
 
I had my 3rd Acupuncture session last week and my physio also tried the TENS machine on my hip. I haven't really noticed any significant changes from the Acupuncture & although I felt a bit more mobile after the TENs, by evening my hip was really sore. Fortunately this eased after a few days, although my pain simply reset rather than getting better. I have another session on Monday so I'll mention the soreness.

I'm continuing with the forward lunge exercises which are meant to help my quads activate & so ease my back pain and improve my posture. Unfortunately whilst they were effective initially, they aren't really helping any more with the back pain. This is a familiar story with me as new exercises often work initially, only for my body to "reject" them after a few weeks (so to speak!)

I did speak to someone else at the clinic as to whether it was worth me getting another cortisone shot, but he wasn't convinced the main problem was really GTPS, mainly because the recent ultrasound showed only mild bursa swelling. He did do various physical strength tests though & said my operated leg lacked strength, mainly glutes & quads. So clearly the physiotherapy isn't making the difference I would have hoped for.

I managed to get an appointment with an orthopaedic sports doctor on Tues. So I'm hoping he is able to give me more information as to why my hip is refusing to get any stronger. I've also found a private hospital who think they should be able to MRI my left hip, despite the metal (which my previous MRI was unable to do). I'll discuss it with my GP next week as I'll need a referral to book the appointment.

In fact the only thing which gives me relief is the hydrotherapy. I've definitely improved my core strength doing this as I can do a lot of exercises in the water (which mainly involve floating in various positions!) Although I've begin struggling with the squats as it feels like bone is pushing into my left glute whenever I do the squats- I know it isn't bone obvious, but it feels really stiff and weird. So I've stopped doing that exercise! Again I'll mention it to the sports doctor.

Apologies if it all sounds a bit down. I try and keep going and seeking solutions, but it can be quite tiring, as I'm sure so many bone smarties will attest to. Hopefully I'll get there in the end. In fact, just getting part of the way there would be pretty good!
 
No worries or apologies necessary. I am sorry this struggle drags on for you, Annekin. Thankfully you find some respite from the pain while in the water, unfortunately you have to be able to function outside of the pool, ideally in comfort, and that's not the case for you. I do wish you the best for your appointment with the Orthopedic sports physician on Monday and your meeting with your GP also. :console2:
@Annekin
 
I saw my physio on Monday, the sports doctor on Tues and my gp today. I have a day off tomorrow, & then having a well deserved massage on Friday. So I'm nothing if not persistent!

My physio has given me some more stability exercises. She wants my balance to be better before progressing to more intense exercises. I have been told to stop doing one leg squats in the pool because I'm getting too much pain in my left glute. She used the TENs machine, but stopped when my hip really started stinging (I think the area around the scar is still really sensitive). I then had some acupuncture. I couldn't feel all the needles in the lumbar spine, so she thinks I may have some damaged nerves.

Which leads me to the sports doctor appointment. He is referring me for a nerve conduction test. He's not sure that's the main problem, but there are some symptoms. He did another ultrasound (I've never had so many ultrasounds!) but couldn't really see anything of concern. However he said he's not a qualified radiologist so has referred me for (yet another) ultrasound. I'm to see him again once I've had the results. He didn't really think another MRI would provide any answers. However I've decided I'm going to have one anyway as I just want to tick everything off the list.

Which leads to my GP appointment. She is happy to refer me for the MRI. She also took a blood sample to test for inflammation or infection. She doesn't think there is an issue but agreed it's better to be safe than sorry. I'll probably get the results in a few days.

If the MRI still can't scan the prosthesis I'll obviously have to give up trying to get answers via that route. But at least I'll have tried. I'm happy to accept the results of all the other interventions, especially the ultrasound because I've now had so many!

Obviously as always I'll keep up with the physio. I'm also going to try swimming once or twice a week to see if that helps. It would be nice to not have my left hip and leg dominate so much of my day. But at least checking off all my options will hopefully help me draw a line under this endless recovery & just accept this my life now.

I'll update when I get results. This is definitely a marathon and not a sprint. Looking forward to my massage on Friday. I deserve it!
 
My friend, you MORE than deserve that upcoming massage. Enjoy every minute of it. I admire your persistence, Sometimes you really do have to go through a lot of hoops to get to the bottom of a problem. You’re doing the right thing.
 
Wow, Annekin, you've been busy! I hope you're enjoying a peaceful day of rest after all of the appointments.
You're leaving no stone unturned and it sounds like the medical professionals you're dealing with aren't either.
That's a good thing! I hope the upcoming appointments reveal something and if not, the measures you're taking bring the relief you deserve soon. Enjoy that massage tomorrow, you've earned it!
Happy Thursday!
@Annekin
 
Hopefully your massage has your muscles relaxed & you are having a calm weekend. Your attitude is correct, this is not a sprint its a marathon. I think your doing very well handling everything that's been given to you.
 
Thank you all for motivating words! Unfortunately, although I very much enjoyed my massage on the day I had a very bad flare up in the hip & quads the next day. Although the massage hadn't been any different to the previous times I think my hip is just struggling a bit too much at the moment & so it aggravated the symptoms.

Because I'm me I looked into alternatives & have found a therapist who suggested doing trigger point massage away from the sore spots, & deep oscillation which I think is a form of electrotherapy. So once I'm feeling less sore (hopefully in the next few days) I'll book an appointment. I don't actually think it will solve my problems, but I just want something where I don't have to put in any effort lol. A break from the endless physio so to speak.
 
I hope the treatment brings you some relief, Annekin. Let us know how it goes and have a good week!
@Annekin
 
I hope the treatment brings you some relief, Annekin. Let us know how it goes and have a good week!
@Annekin

Thank you!
I've got my MRI on Monday. Such a short wait in comparison to the NHS where I had to wait 6 months for an appointment (although it is costing me £400!) I've also got the nerve conduction test the following week. So we'll see what happens. And if nothing is found then at least, as much as they can tell, that means nothing is wrong with my prosthesis/pelvis or nerves.

My blood test came back with mildly abnormal ESR, which would have indicated infection/inflammation if my CRP & white cell count hadn't been normal. So my GP thinks it's "very very unlikely" I have an infection. As I don't have any other obvious symptoms that's probably the case, but I'll mention it to my consultant if any thing comes our of the MRI.

So at least things are now getting ticked off the list!
 
Best Wishes for your MRI on Monday and the nerve conduction test the following week. Good news that your GP finds it doubtful there's any infection brewing. Take care and enjoy the rest of the weekend, Annekin! :)
@Annekin
 
Soooo. MRI went fine. Results should be 3/4 weeks. So probably after Xmas.

I saw an osteopath yesterday as I wanted a different take on my recovery (or lack of). It went okay. Some stuff made sense-body managed fine with hip dysplasia (before arthritis set in), so this shows how adaptable our bodies are, & religiously doing exercises may be trying to force the body to move in a way it doesn't want to. So the key is to work out how it wants to move so it isn't in pain.

I was given some very simple movement exercises as well as continuing with the hydrotherapy because I find it works for me. I've got 6 sessions with the osteopath so will review once these are completed.

Today I saw the podiatrist to discuss how I got on with the heel lift. It was a small lift so I didn't notice a difference. However it was positive things didn't get worse.

Anyway, long story short. She decided to add another 4mm to the original 4mm lift (so 8mm). And what do you know, my back felt better & my right hip isn't dropping. I'm very cautious about saying hallelujah, my back is cured. But it's been a great day not being in so much pain.

I'm still going to persevere with the exercises as the hip pain is still there. But I'm hoping, if this lift has corrected my posture a bit, this may now help my hip recover a bit as well.

It would be crazy if the issue has been leg length discrepancy all along. Because the surgeon who did the operation checked my leg length using my xray & said there wasn't a discrepancy. So I wasn't convinced, even though the podiatrist measured approx 1cm difference, that it was caused by the operation. And who knows, maybe I had a length discrepancy before, but the operation made things worse?

Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself, as things may re-set tomorrow, & I still have other scans etc next week. But it's been really nice having a pain free back day (happy face).
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom