THR Post Op Struggles

@Annekin I was just reading about a new study on the benefits of acupuncture for lower back pain.
It found that people "with chronic low back pain" who used acupuncture "had greater improvement in physical function and reduced pain" than those on prescribed medications or physical therapy.

I hope it works for you!
Ooh. Can you posy a link or a citation so I can look up the study?
 
I was recently reading a study that was investigating the benefit of TENS and Acupuncture combined. The results of a small pilot study were positive in terms of pain reduction. I thought it fascinating because TENS is producing a similar effect to acupuncture but being portable and affordable can be used at home between sessions. Hope you find a long term solution to the pain!
I've thought about TENS. I'll ask my physio when I see her again in a couple of weeks.
 
I'm sorry, @Annekin. But posting a link like this for our members is an upgraded service that is only available to members of the Insiders Club. This type of personalized support for you is covered in the small fees we ask to for our members to join. We would love to be able to support you in this way, though, and I hope you consider one of the subscription options we have available.

 
I'm sorry, @Annekin. But posting a link like this for our members is an upgraded service that is only available to members of the Insiders Club. This type of personalized support for you is covered in the small fees we ask to for our members to join. We would love to be able to support you in this way, though, and I hope you consider one of the subscription options we have available.

No problem. Thanks for letting me know. I'll look up the study myself.
Thanks again.
 
I had my appointment on Monday with the spinal consultant.

He did some tests to see if I had sciatica (I don't) and had a look at the disc degeneration identified in my recent MRI.

In sum, he doesn't think my pain is being caused by the disc degeneration. This is because what I have is normal for someone of my age & most people with these issues are asymptomatic. He did ponder a steroid injection in the lumbar spine but thought it was unlikely to address the pain. For the same reason he said I wouldn't qualify for surgical intervention (which I said I wasn't looking for anyway).

He did give me the name of a spinal physiotherapist. So I've booked an appointment with them. But clearly this isn't going to resolve itself any time soon.

If I look at it positively, it's good he doesn't think there's anything seriously wrong. He also doesn't think my lower back is contributing to the lateral hip pain (gluteal tendiopathy). So that suggests the surgery caused that issue and even if I had tried addressing my back pain before the hip operation it wouldn't have prevented the gluteal tendiopathy developing.

On the downside, it does feel like quite a lot of pain to deal with for the rest of my life! I appreciate I'm quite mobile, but I am mobile with pain. Positively though, hydrotherapy helps and perhaps a different physio will be able to offer another opinion and different exercises. I've also only has one acupuncture session thus far. So there is a chance things may still get better.

I am also quite a resilient and determined person, so I will now commit 100% to physiotherapy and hydrotherapy because I now know it is my main route to getting pain free.
 
I'm really sorry you're dealing with ongoing pain, Annekin. Thinking it will be long term must feel overwhelming, but I admire how you're being proactive, engaging in hydrotherapy, trying acupuncture and considering a visit with a new physio.
Wishing you the strength to continue seeking ways to improve your quality of life. I am hopeful one of these treatments, or the combination of a few bring you relief and many moments that are "pain free".
Happy Thursday!
@Annekin
 
A mixture of great news and ongoing challenges! I'm so pleased that you will not need spinal surgery. The pain puzzle is so complex and I hope a physio who specialises in the spine may provide some enduring relief from the pain. Your positive attitude is so encouraging and I'm sure your determination will help with your ongoing recovery.
 
I'm really sorry you're dealing with ongoing pain, Annekin. Thinking it will be long term must feel overwhelming, but I admire how you're being proactive, engaging in hydrotherapy, trying acupuncture and considering a visit with a new physio.
Wishing you the strength to continue seeking ways to improve your quality of life. I am hopeful one of these treatments, or the combination of a few bring you relief and many moments that are "pain free".
Happy Thursday!
@Annekin
The surgeon did say to not let the pain win & that I won't make things worse by staying active. I do think I may have taken that too much to heart as I may have overdone things during my hydrotherapy session yesterday (I think I may have been a bit over enthusiastic doing too deep squats - Lesson learned!)

As well as booking the spinal physio I've also booked an appointment with a podiatrist who specialises in leg length & gait assessment. Even though I was told my legs were equal length, I know I hang my hip, so I wanted to check if this is affecting how I walk and the gluteal pain. It may be there's no issues, but I think I need to confidently rule everything out.

We'll see!
 
(I think I may have been a bit over enthusiastic doing too deep squats - Lesson learned!)
"Lesson learned" is the most important. It's hard to know though when we're pushing it too far, sadly, since it usually doesn't hurt until we stop!
I hope your feeling better today, Annekin. :friends:
 
(I think I may have been a bit over enthusiastic doing too deep squats - Lesson learned!)
"Lesson learned" is the most important. It's hard to know though when we're pushing it too far, sadly, since it usually doesn't hurt until we stop!
I hope your feeling better today, Annekin. :friends:
Thank you. I've since come down with a terrible cold. So starting to think some of the aches & pains may have been related to that? Unfortunately that means I had to reschedule my acupuncture/physio today as feeling rotten. The joys of the onset of colder weather!
 
Ughhh…first cold of the season, hate those. My sinuses have been feeling a little stuffy last couple of days as well. Change of seasons!
Hope your cold passes soon. Nice cup of tea is my go to.
 
Yucky colds! Hate em! Lots of fluids, lots of rest...you know the drill.
Feel better soon, Annekin!
@Annekin
 
I had my regular review today with my orthopaedics consultant. He had mentioned referring me for another steroid injection at the last appointment. But seemed to have changed his mind in the mean time as he is now an acupuncture convert, so wants me to continue with that before making any decisions.

I mentioned I had started getting jolts going down the front of my thigh to the knee when sitting down. My knee has also periodically started giving way when I stand up & start moving.

He had a feel of my knee. No pain at all & he said my leg was quite strong. He then prodded the top my thigh which hurt & seemed to trigger another jolt (not painful but makes me thigh spasm). No pain anywhere else.

He looked again at my xrays and MRI. He thinks the knee giving way may be linked to the degeneration in the lumbar spine. The jolts probably linked to nerve issues after the operation & how the prosthesis was inserted. Again he returned to his scar tissue theory affecting my movement. But there is no solution which involves surgery. So to continue with acupuncture & physio.

I had been thinking about having another updated ultrasound done at a private clinic to see if there is any new information, which may then suggest any other intervention. I suppose I'm still trying to make sure I have exhausted all options just in case something has been missed because it hasn't been picked up by the scans. I'll update if I do go ahead with this and if anything is found.

I am a bit disappointed that I won't be having another steroid injection because even though I know relief was short lived, at least I had some respite. However I also know too many injections can be harmful so I need to be sensible.

At least now my cold is fading I can restart my physio as everything goes backwards when I can't exercise. Hopefully things will start improving again next week after my next acupuncture session.
 
Thanks for the update, Annekin. I am sorry you continue to struggle and hope your dedication to the acupuncture brings you some relief soon. Have a great Thursday and weekend!
@Annekin
 
I appreciate you taking time to journal what you're going through as I'm sure this will be helpful for others who may be going through something similar. Thank you for supporting the BoneSmart community in this way and I look forward to hearing something positive down the road.
 
So.. in typical fashion I consulted Dr. Google last night having reflected on my hospital appointment & finding it unhelpful.

I had received a clinical letter from my consultant which failed to mention the discussion about possible nerve entrapment & scar tissue. Instead my surgeon congratulated himself that I had found a good physiotherapist. This was not the discussion we had, as I had already told him on numerous occasions that I've been doing physiotherapy for years & whilst it helps, it doesn't really solve my problems. So I was a tad irritated with his selective memory. Particularly as I had already asked him to correct a previous inaccurate clinical letter...

Doctor Google suggested that my symptoms can present after a hip replacement; and this may be rectus femoral nerve damage. Therefore I was concerned, having verbally acknowledged possible nerve impingement, my consultant didn't refer me for an assessment to see if nerve damage is affecting my strength and mobility.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I contacted my GP to see if he could refer me for an assessment. I also said I would go private if there were no available NHS options. To my surprise my GP was very understanding and sympathetic & agreed I should have an assessment. He is going to write to my consultant to ask him to make a referral, or if there is nothing available on the NHS, to suggest a private consultant.

Obviously my GP may come up against a brick wall because my consultant does seem to minimise my pain/symptoms . However he said I could contact him again in a few weeks if I don't get a helpful response.

I know I said I was going to just plough on with the physiotherapy. But as my partner pointed out, are they only going to take my pain seriously when I cannot walk properly or when one day my knee gives way and I can't get up? So I should keep going trying to find answers as long as options are available to me.

I don't know if anyone else on this site has developed rectus femoral nerve damage or similar after their hip replacement & how this was diagnosed & treated? I'll do a search here on BoneSmart, but I'd be interested to know of others experiences.

Anyway, I thought I would share my frustration, & that the search for answers continues!
 
You are your own advocate for your health so you need to explore every option available.
I wish you well.
 
Best Wishes, Annekin. I hope you find answers and relief soon.
@Annekin
 
You are your own advocate for your health so you need to explore every option available.
I wish you well.

Thank you. Yes. I absolutely agree. I thought I had given up after the appointment with the back surgeon, because essentially there was nothing he could really do (& I'm not entirely convinced yet more physio will make much of a difference). But I realised on reflection that I didn't want to just accept how I am now. Whilst I don't expect to be entirely pain free (I am middle aged after all!) I believe I should be in less pain.
 
Anna's quest for answers part one thousand (or at least that's how this ongoing saga feels!)

I've decided to pay for another ultrasound at a private clinic. My last one was at my physiotherapy. Whilst I trust their findings I really want a more detailed scan around the hip implant, in order to see if there's any tissue damage other than the glute tendiopathy- so any tears for example.

My GP (who is turning out be a wonderful advocate - the NHS isn't all bad!- will do the supporting referral, which will hopefully be submitted tomorrow. So fingers crossed I can book the scan sooner rather than later.

If nothing is found then I can rule out any issues other than those I already know about. If there is anything then I can take the results back to my surgeon.

I'm also planning on having a posterior ultrasound scan to check for any gluteal damage/tears in my behind, as this is where the pain is when I walk up hill/stairs etc. So if nothing is found I can then stop worrying about it & just plough on with the physio

Finally, I'll probably book another appointment with the back surgeon if these femoral nerve issues continue (my knee gave way yet again today. Ouch!) but will probably do this after my nerve conduction assessment which hopefully my wonderful GP will be able to sort out for me.

In the meantime I have my gait assessment on Friday and my spinal physiotherapy in a few weeks. My current physio also wants to use me as a guinea pig for the new tens machine they've purchased. I've read it only alleviates pain temporarily. But as she is including it in my regular physio session, I'm happy to try it. She's just waiting to be trained to use it, before using it on me!

So that's the plan. I'll update how things go as it may be helpful for others on this forum who are struggling with the last stage of their recovery.
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom