THR Post Op Struggles

Great news there's less back pain! I hope your Physio session went well today.
Enjoy that massage on Wednesday and have a great week, Annekin! :)
@Annekin
Thanks Layla

I was given some steps exercises to do because I'm still not properly using my left glute-basically using my QL rather than my glute when I walk. Which my physio suspects maybe why my operated leg gets tired when I walk up a slope etc.

I've been down this road before so, whilst I agree this is probably what's going on. I'm not entirely convinced these steps exercises will work. However I'm further on in my rehab than last time they were suggested. So I'll give it another go. I also wasn't doing hydrotherapy or massage therapy the last time I was on this exercise plan, so it may help alleviate any potential pain that maybe coming my way!

Very much looking forward to my massage tomorrow!
 
Whilst browsing the hip library yesterday I came across mention of a really interesting study about the power of mentally training a muscle (phenomenon, known as motor imagery). I went on a search and found the study. I've experienced this phenomenon, guided by a physio in relation to activating a lazy glute. Basically, learning what it feels like when it is activated and then focusing my mind on it when walking (A hand on the area helps initially). It helped me. Here's a snippet from the study.

"The improvement in muscle strength for trained groups was accompanied by significant increases in electroencephalogram-derived cortical potential, a measure previously shown to be directly related to control of voluntary muscle contractions. We conclude that the mental training employed by this study enhances the cortical output signal, which drives the muscles to a higher activation level and increases strength."

 
That's really interesting. I'll have a read. My physio did mention yesterday about retraining the glute muscles. So I'm sure a lot of this study will make sense!
 
I had a fantastic massage today. She concentrated mainly on my QL muscles & lumbar spine. Afterwards it was much easier to walk without my left leg getting tight. Although I don't feel it that much on the flat, as I've mentioned before, any incline slows me down. I think I'll book another one for next week if there's any space in the diary!
 
I'm so glad the massage was good. Sounds like a good plan to book in another. Just goes to show the difference tensed muscles can make.
 
I'm so glad the massage was good. Sounds like a good plan to book in another. Just goes to show the difference tensed muscles can make.
Except she's on holiday. Noooo. I remember now she mentioned it during my session. Ah well. Extra hydrotherapy sessions instead then!
 
Sooo, I managed to land awkwardly when I stepped down a step in our house. My ankle twisted, & although that wasn't too painful, my back spasmed. That damn pinched nerve. Since then my back has been annoyingly painful. Probably because I've managed to move everything back to where to it shouldn't be? Since then it's been really difficult to do the back stretching exercises, & even the back exercises in the pool were difficult. Hopefully this will ease, but it suggests I should probably book an appointment with a spine consultant (or whatever they're called!)

I have my appointment with my (NHS) hip consultant end of August. I could suggest another referral to a spine consultant, which obviously wouldn't cost me anything. But quite frankly I can't face the wait. So I think I'll get a private consultation, & then if they suggest any suitable interventions (if there are any of course), I'll have to make a decision about whether to continue down the pay route, or return to the NHS waiting list.

It's frustrating but not entirely unexpected. I'm going to try another walk tomorrow to see if that improves things, as I'm still more mobile than I was pre injection. So I'll update as to how it goes, & whether I see any more Herons!
 
So sorry to hear about your incident down the step! Those kind of setbacks are infuriating. It's good to get a couple of opinions on private spinal treatment. There are good and better surgeons out there. My father recently paid for decompression surgery and I felt the surgeon was a little too eager. The outcome hasn't been great although I do acknowledge that there are all kinds of factors at play. I'm not saying the surgeon was wrong. I just think my Dad may have benefitted from a couple of different opinions.
 
Yes @Deni444 . I would be quite anxious at having any invasive surgery given backs are notoriously difficult to fix! So I'm not really sure what can be done. But given I've only seen a back surgeon once years ago for an xray (which didn't find anything) it would seem remiss of me not to see one now an MRI has shown I do have disc compression.

So I've booked an appointment at the Claremont in Sheffield to see a spine surgeon who is also a neurologist. Obviously he's on holiday at the moment (always the way) so he's not available until September. But I'll cope until then. Fortunately they told me they can request my MRI results from the NHS. So I'm hoping that means I won't have to pay to have another one done. Fingers crossed.

In the meantime I'll carry on with my hydrotherapy and sports massages!
 
I had my telephone appointment today with my NHS hip consultant. This was to discuss the effectiveness of the cortisone injection. I said it had worked quite well for about a month. The main improvements being less back pain, easier to go upstairs/uphill & as a result more energy. However I also mentioned by back spasmed more and the most recent time I essentially went back to the pain I had before.

I was told (which I knew) that you can only have cortisone shots every 3 months, & too many shots can be harmful (which I also knew).

The consultant then suggested physiotherapy, thereby telling me that he had not read my notes despite the fact he has been my consultant on & off since 2018. I told him I've been doing physio for 2 years and yes, I was targeting the areas where I have the ongoing pain (which again he'd know if he had read my notes).

He then suggested acupuncture which I told him I'd not tried because I thought the efficacy of this treatment was quite dubious. However given this is the only suggestion made that I haven't tried I agreed to it. So he's going to refer me to a private clinic in Sheffield. Because it's on the NHS however, I won't have to pay. The consultant will then see me again in 6 weeks.

If I'm honest I don't think it'll work, which is why I'll only do it if I don’t have to pay! I'm actually hoping the appointment I've made in September with a private spinal consultant offers more help, because my current NHS consultant just ignores my back pain, as if somehow the hip and back aren't connected. However, it seems evident from my physio, that the soft tissue that connect the back and hip are damaged/inflamed. Therefore you can't really treat one without treating the other, which is what my physio is doing.

Anyway, I've got a hydrotherapy session and sports massaged booked in for next week, & that always makes me feel better!
 
So frustrating! I'm glad you have the hydro and massage to look forward to. I've known people absolutely rave about the benefits of acupuncture for back pain but agree it is a strange one to pin down (pun not intended but it made me laugh)... As you say, what do you have to loose if it's free? It sounds like you are doing all you can and it's good not to get defeated by seemingly going around in circles. I do hope you get some answers in September!
 
So frustrating! I'm glad you have the hydro and massage to look forward to. I've known people absolutely rave about the benefits of acupuncture for back pain but agree it is a strange one to pin down (pun not intended but it made me laugh)... As you say, what do you have to loose if it's free? It sounds like you are doing all you can and it's good not to get defeated by seemingly going around in circles. I do hope you get some answers in
So frustrating! I'm glad you have the hydro and massage to look forward to. I've known people absolutely rave about the benefits of acupuncture for back pain but agree it is a strange one to pin down (pun not intended but it made me laugh)... As you say, what do you have to loose if it's free? It sounds like you are doing all you can and it's good not to get defeated by seemingly going around in circles. I do hope you get some answers in September!

Thanks @Deni444
The physio and massages keep me going and as I've said before, even if I don't feel myself physically, at least the physiotherapy is keeping me flexible!

Who knows, perhaps the acupuncture will work. Given no health professional has really paid any attention to my back (except my physio) it can't hurt to try something new!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hope with a stroke of luck the acupuncture works and brings you some relief, Anne. :fingersx:
Thankfully you have something in store for next week that you can count on to make you feel better. Wishing you the best for your appointment with the spinal specialist in September. Enjoy the end of the week and keep us posted!
@Annekin
 
@Annekin I saw an acupuncturist a few years ago when I was having severe low back problems. While the sessions didn't "fix" my problem, they did give me significant periods of pain relief. I thought it was worth the time and expense (I had to pay out of pocket) at a time when nothing much else relieved the pain.

I hope it helps you.
 
Thank you @benne68. Unfortunately it now turns out the NHS don't fund acupuncture. So I am going to have to pay for it. However my physio said they can do acupuncture as part of my regular sessions & at no extra cost. So that's better than nothing. I hope it works too!
 
Today I had my first acupuncture session with my physio. It couldn't have come too soon as my back was really playing up & in turn the tendiopathy. Although I don't know which one affects the other.( It's a bit of a chicken & egg situation).

My physio identified the pain points in my lumbar spine and hip and placed the needles there. She didn't want to put them in too deep because we weren't sure how my body would react. Fortunately I felt very little (although as I've mentioned, I have a high pain tolerance!) She left them in for 15 minutes and afterwards did some targeted massage.

My back has felt better (looser) since. Although I'll know if there's been any long term positive affect in a few days. Mainly because I often feel better after seeing a physio (partly a placebo affect I would imagine).

If I'm honest I'm not expecting much as studies are inconclusive about the i efficacy of acupuncture. That said, there are also some positive outcomes. So who knows, may be I'll be one of those?! I'll update anyway.

On Monday I have my private healthcare appointment with the spine consultant. So I'll be interested to know what he thinks may be going on, given my orthopaedics surgeon has been incredibly disinterested in my back pain. I'll update on that as well.

My physio was also impressed regarding what she observed to be improvements in my balance. So even though I feel I'm in pain, something must be improving?

So fingers crossed I get a bit of time off from the pain, even if it's just for a few days until my next session!
 
Happy for you to read you found some relief, Annekin. I hope you notice some positive long term effects following more treatments.
Good luck with your appointment on Monday. Wishing you a pain free weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Annekin
 
@Annekin I was just reading about a new study on the benefits of acupuncture for lower back pain.
It found that people "with chronic low back pain" who used acupuncture "had greater improvement in physical function and reduced pain" than those on prescribed medications or physical therapy.

I hope it works for you!
 
I was recently reading a study that was investigating the benefit of TENS and Acupuncture combined. The results of a small pilot study were positive in terms of pain reduction. I thought it fascinating because TENS is producing a similar effect to acupuncture but being portable and affordable can be used at home between sessions. Hope you find a long term solution to the pain!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom