THR Post Op Struggles

Great news on the lift relieving back pain for right now. Might be the answer you have been looking for but wait and see! Keep us posted.
 
Yay for pain free! I certainly hope it lasts. :thumb:
Best wishes for your scans this week, Annekin!
@Annekin
 
I had my final scan (an ultrasound) on Thursday. Glad they're all done now!

Nothing new to report. I still have a fluid filled bursa/GTPS. Again the suggestion was a steroid injection. The radiologist said to have a guided injection so they can make sure they inject the bursa & if it doesn't work they can then confidently determine the pain isn't caused by the bursa. No other issues, no seroma or issues with the Psoas.

I don't know the results of the MRI or nerve conduction test which I'll get in a few weeks. I'll make an appointment with the sports doctor early January to discuss these & my options.

Positively the heel lift is still helping with my back pain in that I find it easier to walk & I feel more upright. If it continues this way I may even try a short walk in a week or so. But I want to be cautious not to overdo things. So no hills just in case!
 
Great news that the heel lift is easing the back pain making it easier to walk. I wish you a relaxing holiday season, Annekin, as you await more test results. I hope you have a nice weekend! :SUNsmile:
@Annekin
 
Hello all from a cold Yorkshire (we had sunshine today though. Yay!)

So, bit of a roller coaster week. All was going reasonably okay. I had my regular physio on Monday with dry needling and tens. Reviewed my exercise regime. Nothing unusual the following day. Did my exercises. Went shopping. Then on Wednesday my lower back was in so much pain. I could barely move without it spasming. Started panicking because I'm away next week for Christmas & didn't want to cancel. I tried every back exercise/stretch I could think of to try and get myself moving again, as well as not moving! Booked an appointment for some pressure point therapy the next day. It helped a bit but not much. Then today I had hydrotherapy & what a relief to be pain free in the water. Although my back is still a bit stiff, the spasms have mainly stopped. I'm so grateful hydrotherapy works for me because I'd still be crippled if I didn't have that session!

I have no idea what set off my back. It happened after doing physio, but I didn't do anything vigorous. Anyway it's a lesson learned that I'm never going to be completely pain free. But at least it has eased up now.

I received my MRI results today. Only the bursa is mentioned as an issue. No other problems & other degeneration is considered mild. If the nerve conduction test report doesn't find anything I think I'll capitulate and have the guided steroid injection in the bursa. If it eases the pain I might look into getting it aspirated, but I'll see what the doctor says. It seems such a small thing to cause so much pain, & of course I'll never know what's actually causing the bursa to get inflammed. But that's sometimes how the cookie crumbles I guess.

I have my appointment in January with the consultant so will see if he has any other suggestions. But I imagine I'll be booking an appointment for a cortisone injection.
 
Sorry you continue to deal with pain, Annekin. I hope you're able to take it easy, keep the spasms at bay and enjoy Christmas next week. Hopefully the new year brings answers, comfort and relief from the pain and discomfort you've been dealing with. Wishing you a very Merry Christmas! :presents-under-xmas-tree-smiley-emoticon: :xmas-wave-smiley-emoticon:
@Annekin
 
Thank you Layla. My back has calmed down more now. So hopefully I'm good to go for the Christmas getaway. Gotta keep plugging away as you only get one life. Have a good Christmas!
 
Hi @Annekin
I recently had steroid injections into my SI joint, and am so glad I did. My pain is down 90%. I have been doing more around the house and am looking forward to our family Christmas get together.
If your pain returns a injection should help.
 
Thanks @Pumpkin
I have had injections before. The first one helped a lot. The later ones not so much. I'm hoping though that a guided shot into the bursa will help identify whether or not the pain is coming from the greater trochanteric, given everything else has been ruled out as far as possible (although I don't yet know the results of the nerve conduction test). So it is something I'll push for at my next appointment in January.
 
Hi all
Thought I should update re all my niggles & how things are going.

My scans didn't show anything new. Hip bursitis as before and no nerve damage. The private consultant who referred me for these scans didn't think there were any more options available for me except pain management.

He thinks another cortisone injection could damage my tendons further & given my age he doesn't want me to have an injection unless the pain becomes unbearable. We discussed PRP but it's very expensive and not available on the NHS in Sheffield. It's also unproven so he didn't want me wasting my money in case it doesn't work. He did suggest contacting a pain management/neurologist whom he knows to see if he can help. But this would be pain management not medical management.

I'm going to follow advice re the cortisone shot. Even though I was considering it, my pain is a bit more manageable at the moment, & I don't want to damage myself any more, particularly as I've already had 3 shots over the last two years. So I'll probably go down the pain management route.

What I have managed to do in order to reduce the pain is to not lie on my left bursa side at night so it doesn't put too much pressure on my sore hip. I also increased my hydrotherapy sessions which help me work on my hip & back. And the shoe lifts have helped with my walking whilst I'm out.

So even though things aren't always great I have learnt some coping techniques. I've also paired down the physiotherapy so it is just back physio & hydrotherapy. This is currently sufficient to keep me mobile. Otherwise I just go around in circles with the pain

Obviously I would have liked a magic bullet but that's clearly not coming so I'm learning to manage. The key is to keep moving, but not too much!

So I'm not sure how much I'll need to post on here anymore. However I will dip in & out in case someone else finds that magic bullet! And obviously if any other interventions arise which help.

But if I had my time again I would suggest to anyone who is having a hip or knee replacement to start doing hydrotherapy as soon as you are reasonably mobile. It supports your body and takes away the pain thereby enabling you to do exercises in the water you may struggle to do on land. I honestly think, had I known about it at the time of my operation I would have healed far more quickly. But at least I found it in the end!
 
I wish you the best, Annekin! Thankfully you've found some coping mechanisms and hopefully the pain management neurologist will be of help to you. Please do stop by periodically and let us know how you're doing. Thanks for sharing your journey here!
Hugs :friends:
@Annekin
 
Thanks for the update. If the hydrotherapy is beneficial I’d stick with it. I find a pool or salt water (ocean) to really soothe the body. My son has a salt water pool I totally enjoy in summer. And we are getting ready for our yearly sojourn to the USVI’s in about a week and can’t wait to float around in the salt water. It’s been single digits here all week and we had about 6 inches of snow Sunday evening so 85 degrees and sun is calling my name. I’ll turn 74 on St John. I’m always there for my birthday.
I wish you well in your search for your pain relief. Keep us posted.
 
Thank you @Layla & @myglasshalffull

Yes water has been my saviour. I really think it should be "prescribed" more by health professionals. Particularly those with mobility issues. I don't know what it's like in the States, but here in the UK I think the NHS only use hydrotherapy for very serious rehab cases. In fact the small private pool I use is the only one in Sheffield. Obviously there are public pools and pools in health centres, but that's not the same as individual therapy. It's a shame because I think it lifts the spirits as well as improves mobility. But then I've always liked swimming. I love the smell of chlorine. I'm weird like that!
 
Here in my neck of the woods there are many places with indoor pools. Most towns and cities have YMCA which has a lot of exercise programs, sports and pools for swimming as well as after school programs for kids of all ages.
And yes, we are weightless in the water and sure does help with aches and pains.
 
Thought I would update following a recent visit to a pain management consultant, who my doctor referred me to in order to help me explore any other rehab options.

His diagnosis/assessment was that most of the hip problems I'm experiencing are referred pain from my lumbar spine. This being the opposite of what I have previously been told (obviously!)

Having looked at the MRI of my lumbar spine he could see I have poor/weak cartilage disc development & there is one disc that is wearing away on the left side of my lumbar spine (the side of my most recent hip replacement).

He thinks this is what's causing the pain & is probably as a result of the hip dysplasia. I didn't realise this, but apparently if you have hip dysplasia (so undeveloped hip sockets) the problem (weak cartilage) that causes the dysplasia can appear in other areas. Yay.

The good news is, even though my lumbar spine is that of a much a older woman, my muscles are still healthy. So even though my spine can't be repaired, I can keep working on my stability/core muscles to help alleviate the pain.

To do this I was recommended an exercise bike (which I've now purchased) & to increase my swimming frequency.

Obviously it's frustrating that there is no fix for my lumbar spine, & to discover it's likely congenital is even more frustrating as I feel I'm being prematurely aged. But I'm glad at least I am healthy enough to hopefully learn to manage the pain with specific exercises. So I'm going to concentrate on these now.

I'll update in a few months with any progress. If nothing else, hopefully it'll help me lose weight, as having limited mobility has really helped me pile on the Ibs!
 
Thanks for stopping by with an update, Annekin. I am sorry you're still struggling.
Hopefully the pain management consultant is onto something given his assessment. Thankfully you're in good health and have a plan in place. I wish you success and will look forward to your next update.
Happy Spring! :flwrysmile:
@Annekin
 
Thanks for the update. It’s interesting how other issues in entirely different parts of the of the body can cause us pain.
Sounds like you have received good information from your pain management consultant & let’s see how this new treatment helps.
Keep us posted.
 
Thank you @Layla & @myglasshalffull

I was aware of the disc degeneration but had previously told they didn't think it was the cause of my pain. However I didn't know it was accompanied by inflammation, or that the bone development issues that cause dysplasia can also affect other areas, in my case the back.

I had my first 15 minutes on the exercise bike today. Boring (even though I was watching telly at the same time!) but no significant pain during or afterwards which was positive, & is why I'm starting slowly. So we'll see how it goes!
 
hi @Annekin ! i found your thread via a search for GTPS. I've had problems with my right side lumbar back and greater trochanter for decades, and the whole thing was really exacerbated by my first knee replacement (opposite side) 2 years ago, including involvement of glutes. now after TKR on the right side it's starting to flare up again. yikes

I'm about to bring it up with my doctor but I've never had great success with either a diagnosis or treatment. so... if you or anyone else sees this and you have any thoughts on how to handle, I'd really appreciate your input!

hope this finds you well.
 
Hi @FleuveStone
Thanks for your message.

I'm not sure how much of my thread you read? My issues are complicated somewhat by having had hip dysplasia. A late diagnosis (in my mid 30s) & hip replacements (in 2018 & 2023) meant unfortunately my gait had been quite significantly affected by the dysplasia before it was "treated."

Obviously I don't know your history but this will affect your recovery. However I would suggest getting an MRI & ultrasound if you're able to. These helped identify the development of GTPS & disc degenerative disease, which may have been present before my operations, but we're definitely exacerbated by the hip replacements because they further altered my gait.

Unfortunately as mentioned in my thread, there is limited treatment options. However hydrotherapy has helped me a lot & I've recently started using an exercise bike in order to develop core strength. So I would suggest engaging a physiotherapist who can tailor a treatment plan to meet your needs.

Regarding medical help, be persistent and get everything checked out. I don't know where you're based but I got fed up of waiting for NHS appointments so went private in order to speed things up. So even though it's likely you'll be recommended physio, obviously it's worth exploring all options in order to rule out any other issues (so scans, blood tests to rule out infection, nerve conduction tests). I also had a couple of cortisone shots in the early days, but they were of limited help & can make the weak tendons (which contribute to GTPS) even weaker. So if it is something offered, I would suggest doing it once to see if it provides relief. But don't repeat it if there's no positive outcome. Much better to do the physio/hydrotherapy.

Hope that helps a bit? I think I say most things in my thread. It is a long road, but be persistent and don't give up!
 

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom