THR Poppet survived a major fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Poppet

I kind of smiled when I was reading your account of your fall. I had a similar experience with the fall that broke my hip. Obviously, the fall must have taken 10 seconds or less but I can describe every seam in floor tiles I was on, the look on faces around me as they saw me start to fall, etc., etc. Such a strange, incredible thing our minds are.

I have had several trips and slips over the last three years post THR, but you are so right..

With this event it was like time had slowed right down... I remember the tangle of my feet, then becoming airborne, then twisting the 360 degrees and head and shoulder butting the wall, arms flaying everywhere? All I could think of was 'protect your THR hip girl, it is going to be a very, very hard landing...' - and it was! But what surprised me was the final bouncing to the other side once I hit the floor... So today, my left hip is feeling sore and a few other areas that I was unaware had hit - referred pain coming into play now I guess..

I am so pleased that this has proven just how strong my replacement is - now I really am in awe of my surgical team... wish I had it on video though!
 
@Poppet

You are the very first person I have met who is allergic to Erythromycin! I was beginning to think I was the only one!

Cheryl
 
Poppet, I also have CKD and asthma. So we have similar concerns about medications especiaaly painkillers. I hope your chest infection clears quickly as it can be very debilitating. My chest wheezed away for weeks after my fall. Tonight I went to a meeting and sat next to a man with a bad chest! I do not need anything before my surgery in just over three weeks time. Fingers crossed. :scare:
Best wishes
Mary
 
I am so sorry to hear that you bruised your ribs. I fell across my ski pole last year and bruised four ribs---it was so painful. I could not bend down to put on my ski boots, so each day I asked a different person to put them on and take them off!!! Good thing we have 50 instructors!! It took a good three weeks before I could laugh with comfort!!
 
Well, @Poppet , you won't believe this. I haven't been on Bonesmart for a very long time, but I am wide awake in the middle of the night (thanks to steroids), and I thought to myself, 'I must find out how Poppet is doing these days, ss she didn't answer my last email' (hint, hint). So I logged on to Bonesmart and what did I find? Your incredibly detailed account of what could have been a really nasty fall, together with an account of the wonderful professional care so promptly delivered by your saint of a husband.

Poppet, I'm so glad you are OK after that horrible experience. Sore ribs and so on will heal themselves eventually, though I'm sure the cough doesn't make for an easy recovery. The main thing is that your replaced hip survived the fall, and that should, as you say, give confidence to others that these replacements are very robust.

I see you are off to your beach house today - hope the drive is as comfortable as can be for you. I guess spring is busting out all over down there in Ozzy land, and you will be itching to get out to that garden of yours and begin planting. I know you will be careful.

As for me, I will keep my (not good) news out of this forum. If I stuck around here for any length of time, I would have to change that totally irrelevant avatar. Please write.

Love, Welsh Jane
 
Awww..... @welshjane .... it is always so good to hear from you. God bless you, hon. You are always in my prayers. Hope there are some smiles for you each day. You are a very special and loved BoneSmartie.
 
@CanukTriMom....I'm allergic to Erythromyacin too!!

Hope your pains are lessening @Poppet....it's the coughing that hurts most!! I'm asthmatic & use inhalers & that hurts too..

Hoping your journey to the ocean went well......it will be great once you get there!

Thank your DH for the virtual hug too.....Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Poppet hi, as you said you have CKD, like me. I wondered how you coped with pain relief, blood thinners and antibiotics after your surgery ? I must admit to this being my biggest worry. Usually, I avoid taking any medication since I was diagnosed but won't have this option after surgery. I do intend to try a TENs machine and use ice as much as possible but expect to be on pain meds for some weeks. Any info , advice you could pass on would be great.i have asked my surgeon and he said that the surgical team deals with a lot of CKD patients as there's a large Asian population in the area who have a greater incidence of CKD. But I like to be well -informed before I have any procedures. I hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks so much
Mary
 
Banged up Warrior alert!!!! @sissy46 @nerdgrrl @bellaroma @Cookie42 @octopus @puddle fish

@Poppet, I didn't know your twin sister Grace was in town.:wink: Dang doorways...hate when they jump out at ya!!! Eek gads, what a fall!! :yikes: Crazy how certain things slow down the momentum in our brain as we are processing it as it happens; good that you documented it (better to have and not need than to need and not have)... I hope that your ribs start feeling better soon and you can get past that crummy cough. So glad you "saved" your hip and that DH was there to help pick you up and get you to a safe place.

Fortunately, I haven't had my "big fall" and hopefully won't any time soon! Trying to heed my OS's advice - Don't put yourself in the position of having the worst fall possible... though now I see it doesn't take much for bad things to happen.

I have been thinking of you with our anniversaries coming up and knowing that your summer is right around the corner. Take it slow and steady (you're an experienced marathoner) and hope you feel better soon!! Hopefully the warmth of your beach will bring your body into alignment.

Have some lovely tea (I know you've got to watch that coffee) and a slice of chocolate cheesecake on me!

:flwrysmile:
 
Apologies that I haven't been online for a few days. Thanks everyone for your posts. I am having quite a bit of pain with my injured ribs, both sides now.. I will post more in a few days..
 
@Poppet,
I am so sorry about your fall; however, you seem like quite the gymnast! I appreciate the explicit details and more than anything, I am glad that your husband is such a "rock star" when it comes to emergencies, and was able to spring into action immediately. What a blessing!
Take care my friend and be well.
 
Early hours (like 2 am) here in OZ and unable to sleep due to my painful ribcage. I am one week post my fall and new areas are producing pain including my left hip (un operated), which is now often collapsing!

Had an extremely heavy physical working day (building) which could not be avoided. Lots of heavy lifting, lots of walking on uneven steep ground, lots of squeezing and maneuvering my body in tight places, so I guess additional pain was to be expected! Have to do this physical work again today - not looking forward to it, but I am focussing on a few days off over the weekend to hopefully recover a little.....

I am still in absolute awe of the stability of my THR after such a major fall - pity about the rest of my body!
 
@Poppet hi, as you said you have CKD, like me. I wondered how you coped with pain relief, blood thinners and antibiotics after your surgery ? I must admit to this being my biggest worry. Usually, I avoid taking any medication since I was diagnosed but won't have this option after surgery. I do intend to try a TENs machine and use ice as much as possible but expect to be on pain meds for some weeks. Any info , advice you could pass on would be great.i have asked my surgeon and he said that the surgical team deals with a lot of CKD patients as there's a large Asian population in the area who have a greater incidence of CKD. But I like to be well -informed before I have any procedures. I hope you don't mind me asking.
Thanks so much
Mary

Hi Mary, @SuperSnapper - My Renal specialist was on hand as part of the surgical team, monitoring my kidneys. Pre surgery he consulted with my Anaethetist to ensure that the appropriate dose of antibiotic would be given. He also indicated that he could put me on short term dialysis during and post surgery if there was an issue. However, I had a catheter and my urine output amazed the Renal and ICU specialist 400 ml per hour!!! Apparently they had trouble keeping up with changing the catheter bags.

I had no problem with the blood thinners (injections). I was on OxyContin twice a day for a couple of weeks with Endone for breakthrough pain and Paracetamol as required. My actual THR was fantastic (gotta love my OS) and I was off the narcotics and managing the pain with paracetamol by the time I had my staples out.. My CKD developed pre surgery as a result of taking NSAIDs - they are on my banned list of meds for life now - not even one dose my Renal Specialist has instructed. I have no need for them since my THR, but do take paracetamol for other pain if required, but I limit these also as much as I can.

I have to admit I have had multiple UTI's and Kidney infections since my surgery, which have required antibiotics. We seem to have found the antibiotic that works best to control these episodes, it is metabolized via the liver with minimal metabolites excreted via my kidneys. I am assuming you are under the care of a Renal Specialist, if not, it might be an idea to have a consult with one if you can, more for reassurance for you.

Don't hesitate to tag me if you have anymore questions or just want to chat. I will be following your recovery thread :) xx
 
@Poppet thanks so much for the reply. I really appreciate it.

I've had CKD since my son was born 42 years ago but only realised this about two years ago when at my annual bloodtest I was told about it! Putting it all together, I feel a bit dim. I've had high BP since 1973 but no one ever said ,"you have CKD" . I was never told to avoid anything. I think maybe in the UK they only make a fuss when as I did you slide from level 2 to a filtration rate below 60. Mine hovers around that so I'm lucky. I now do avoid NSAIDs and salt and do stuff like avoid too much coffee but it's not serious enough at the moment to see a renal specialist. I see my GP every few months. My BP is really well controlled and always has been.

The information about antibiotic metabolised by the liver is useful. I always ask doctors a lot of questions and have my husband primed to check any meds and ask questions about CKD. I had a CT scan two years ago and was horrified to realise that the contrast dye can affect the kidneys! And my blood test for GF was worse even though I mentioned the CKD, I was given it. Fortunately my next blood test was ok and the levels had increased. After that experience, I always ask questions and make a point of querying meds etc. Hospitals are busy places and mistakes get made!
My aim is to get off pain meds as soon as possible .Ive got the cryo cuff ready and am thinking of trying a tens machine. We'll see how it all goes.

Thanks for the information and I'll keep in touch.
 
Sounds like your CKD is being managed very well Mary, @SuperSnapper at 60.

My eGFR went from 100% to 41% in a couple of months immediately pre surgery. My last test came back 39% which is a bit worrying. My renal specialist prefers that my BP stays around the 116/76 range. We got a bit of a scare a few weeks before my fall when it dropped to 95/64, but I put it down to a chest infection. I keep my weight down which is a critical factor for me. I am also a Coeliac which encourages a very healthy diet so that is a bonus :)
 
@Poppet seems like you are the Energizer Bunny mixed with a red rubber ball added to an old Timex watch!!! Takes a lickin but keeps on tickin, and always bounces back, plus keeps on keeping on! I am in awe of you!
How is the house looking? What were the flowers you had drifts of? Blue something?


My phone sent this using BoneSmart Forum, clever phone!
 
Early hours (like 2 am) here in OZ and unable to sleep due to my painful ribcage. I am one week post my fall and new areas are producing pain including my left hip (un operated), which is now often collapsing!

Had an extremely heavy physical working day (building) which could not be avoided. Lots of heavy lifting, lots of walking on uneven steep ground, lots of squeezing and maneuvering my body in tight places, so I guess additional pain was to be expected! Have to do this physical work again today - not looking forward to it, but I am focussing on a few days off over the weekend to hopefully recover a little.....

I am still in absolute awe of the stability of my THR after such a major fall - pity about the rest of my body!



Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom