THR Poppet survived a major fall!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha @Jamie - I suspect I could remake that movie, I have a few new maneuvers of my own now - thanks honey xx
 
Glad to hear that you seem to have no lasting ill effects from your full twisting dive with pike @Poppet !! :heehee:

I know just how that slow motion thing feels. A couple weeks before my LTHR I had a little tumble from my horse. He got a fright and jumped sideways, and I got left behind in mid air. As I was floating gently to earth :snork: - RTHR side down - I remember thinking how unfair it was that I would have to have a revision on the right before I could have my left done. So, I hit the deck, smack on my RTHR hip and thought "gosh that hurt" then "but not so much". I took stock for a couple of seconds, realised that everything was still in place, got up, collected the pony from the other side of the arena, got back on and kept riding! I did have a very impressive bruise on my butt though!! (Edited to add: My horse's back is more than a metre above the ground - this really illustrates your point @Poppet that our new parts are super stable and strong once healed!)

Seems we're not so fragile after major repairs!! :yes!: But I'm not planning on making a habit of falling off the horse !:heehee:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well as I am giving a blow by blow account of my new Olympic maneuver and I have just woken up from a good nights sleep here is my latest update..

I woke early, first light, so at least didn't have to raise my arm to turn the bedside light on, one of my ribs on my right side is very painful, especially when taking a deep breath, so that may need an X-ray today. I will contact my GP and see what she reckons. It could be just bruised which is what I am suspecting and even if it is cracked they won't do much for it.

The bathroom was calling, but I am well practiced in getting out of bed with all the same precautions associated with a new hip. I was able to get to the bathroom unassisted - very gingerly I might add and very grateful that hubby had placed my raised toilet seat with the support rails over the loo last night - see one never knows when it might be needed :)

So what hurts? - thankfully not my THR joint, the soft tissue and muscles are tender but not overly so. The collagen around my THR has had a good stretch and is tender and will take some time to realign and repair again, but will be fine. Time for everyone who reads this, to check out the link to my article previously posted...

My right knee took a fair battering against the wall and so did that back of my head which now has a huge egg lump - I am sure ice will fix that. I have no adverse neurological signs so not worried.

Shoulder, both wrists and my right elbow are tender, but not as painful or swollen as yesterday.

I certainly have some stretched and sore muscles across the lower abdomen. I guess acrobatics and gymnastics tend to give this area a good work out.. It will settle as I plan to ice and keep my feet on firm ground now!

This was a very major fall with lots of twists, impacts, bouncing against the wall, on the ground and hits against the doorframe, but it is testament that our THR's are strong and can withstand so much.. I hope this provides comfort and allays anxieties and fears that any members reading this may be feeling xxx
 
Hi Jena, @Meggzie so pleased you got right back up on Spud and kept riding - that's the best way to approach life.

Things happen, accidents, slips, trips happen, bones break - but life is for living and enjoying and continues..

How are you doing at home? x
 
@poppett. That was quite a detailed description of your dreadful fall. How lucky you were to be in the capable hands of your hubby. On the few occasions when I have fallen (pre THR) in no way could I articulate in such detail what actually happened to me. I would just find myself on the ground with various sore spots. :shocked: I hope you are doing well.
 
Hi Poppet! Things are great at home. I am paying the price for overdoing it a bit in the first couple of days while I made sure Spud was ok after his accident. Now I am following the mantra to the letter and feeling better for it! Slow and steady as she goes!
 
Oh, ouch! I'm glad you're okay. When I have fallen, I've always landed on my right side, if I just have to fall again, here's hoping that holds true.:heehee:
 
Poppet, I think it is wonderful that you have dissected your fall so precisely. It does show how much a person's body can take and especially how strong a replaced hip can be. However, I don't think it was a good idea to use YOUR body to field test this hypothesis. Next time let's use a crash dummy, okay? You are way, way too valuable!!!

Hope the rib is okay. Easy does it for a while....I know you will. Give hubby a big hug for me. He did good!!!
 
@Poppet So glad you are okay after that fall.
That was quite a description, too. You are very smart to document all that, especially as it could have been required.
I hope you heal quickly with no residual effects.
Best to you!!!
 
Thanks @heathersmom @justpeggy @Kim22 @MajorHeidi for your kind words and get well wishes.. and dear @Jamie I may have to wait to give hubby a hug from you, but I gave him a kiss instead... :) pleased to read Jena, @Meggzie that you are taking it easy. Spud is recovering just like his Mom..

As the day progresses, my THR seems fine. Just some soft tissues tenderness around the THR area.

My right knee remains tender, especially to weight bear and my RTHR leg has given way a couple of times, so I am being cautious and moving with my trusty walker. No point in risking another fall, although I would imagine it would be a crumble, not like the high jinx of yesterday.

My right shoulder only hurts with certain movements.... answer to that problem.. Don't do that movement!

My ribs are really protesting with any pushing, pulling, lifting and coughing. However, I am absolutely sure they are just bruised not cracked and that will take time. I feel for you @Hoppy Nanny sore ribs certainly produce those 'ouch' moments! Hard to immobilize the ribcage. Do hope yours are improving.

We are packing and have a three hour drive tomorrow morning, so I will have my pain meds, icepacks and hot water bottle ready.
 
Hi Poppet,

I suffered a bad fall about 6 months after my LTHR. I was walking my 50 pound dog at night and he took off while I was holding the leash.

I ended up doing some asphalt surfing. Luckily landed on right (non operated hip). Hit my head, scratched my face, elbow and knee, and landed directly on non operated hip trochanter.

So scary to take a hard fall. I am relieved that your replacement does not seem to be affected. You have my sympathies.

I did go to the OS, office very confused as I was limping on the good leg !!! Ended up trochanter bruise which took about 2months to heal. The other stuff healed more quickly.

Best wishes to you for a quick recovery.



Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart®
 
Hi @Elizak - so sorry you had such a nasty fall, asphalt surfing would have been very painful.

I am sure I wasn't this clumsy pre my THR - I am sure they must have got mixed up and added some clumsy drug along with the happy juice during surgery.

I remember my surgeon showing me some of the movements and antics he put me through during surgery... He looked like a rag doll all twisted and bent... Now I have my own detailed account to tell him when I see him early next year for my annual check..
 
So glad you think there's no lasting damage to any body part @Poppet......and you're so right....it gives us all great perspective that such spectacular aerobatics on your part didn't damage the new body parts.

I bet everything is aching though.....my ribs are very sore...but sure they are just bruised....making sure I get full breaths in & cough ( ouch) so no infection sets up. Don't know about you..I'm just annoyed with myself for not taking more care ....guess my football skills are not what they used to be!!! I sure gave my dear Grandson a fright.

We are all jealous of your dear hubby's skill & concern.....so you might have to share him around ( it will be his new full time job!).

Hope the aches & soreness wears off soon....have a safe trip!! Love to you both....Chrissie xxxx




Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am with you Chrissie, @Hoppy Nanny - I was so mad at myself for trying to do too much packing and reflecting back now, I was hurrying! I have never hurt my ribs before. This is a first. I find when trying to do the most simplest of tasks out comes "ouch, ouch, ouch" and a few other choice words! I am coughing heaps due to another, or should I say, the continuation of a chest infection. Funny, well not really, but I had seen my GP the afternoon before my fall and she is treating me with asthma puffers for a 'viral cough'.. I have to breath deeply into the puffer, but that's another "ouch" moment!

I can imagine the fright your grandson received, especially if you squealed as loud as I did. It really is surreal how it all seems to happen in slow motion.

Not sure how to share my hubby around - I did pass on your love, he said - 'sorry Chrissie, can't hug you either, with both of you having bruised ribs' he did send this virtual ((( hug ))) xxxxxxxx

I have gone to bed early, don't want to tempt fate by doing any more packing. Can't wait to see the ocean....
 
Just seen that you have hurt your ribs. I did this in April when I fell on my camera with long lens attached. It was so painful , agonising really and took a while to get over. The sneezing was horrible. I actually developed a technique for not sneezing as it just was agony. I did lots of deep breathing but went to the GP with a chest infection. Please take care. Now when I hear of anyone hurting a rib, it makes me wince!
Mary x
 
@Poppet

Wow sounds like a great Cirque de Soliel manuveur! Glad that you suffered only minor damage to those ribs. Chocolate is extremely medicinal....just a thought.

Take care

Cheryl
 
@Poppet So sorry you had such a horrid fall; I think you are lucky to have so little injury really as it could have been so much worse. A bit of time by the ocean will be just the thing for you & I do hope you are feeling much better very soon!

I kind of smiled when I was reading your account of your fall. I had a similar experience with the fall that broke my hip. Obviously, the fall must have taken 10 seconds or less but I can describe every seam in floor tiles I was on, the look on faces around me as they saw me start to fall, etc., etc. Such a strange, incredible thing our minds are.
 
Thanks Mary, @SuperSnapper - so sorry to hear you had a fall - it sure is scary... Even two days on I find I am reliving the fall as I have to maneuver past the damaged wall.

Luckily or unluckily I am coughing quite frequently which hopefully will prevent a deeper chest infection. I have actually had an ongoing chest infection for the past two months (Swine Flu, which hit Australia quite hard during August) and had quite a few different classes of antibiotics - however due to severe side effects my medicos had to keep changing them. It appears that I am definitely allergic to the Erythromycin class of antibiotics, so they are on the 'not to be dispensed list' I have the added complication of Chronic Kidney Disease which has to always be a frontline consideration when prescribing antibiotics for me.

I had seen my GP the afternoon before the fall and she indicated she can still hear congestion and wheezing. So I can't prevent the cough reflex.. I am also using two different asthma puffers.. So the sore ribs are getting a work out that is for sure.
 
Hi Cheryl, @CanukTriMom - yes, chocolate was definitely part of the prescription protocol. Amazing how we head for comfort food. Haha...not sure Cirque de Soliel will carry sufficient insurance to cover my twists and turns... It would have been nice to have a safety net when I realized I was going to hit the floor hard...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom