TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Yes. Just have to wear the brace unless I'm in the shower or getting dressed. I can drive (it has "switches") if necessary. Since I'm driving to and from Mississippi next week, he wants to see me when I get back to check everything.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Oh my goodness. How did you do that? Will you have to have surgery?
 
Leaning to put my laptop bag into the truck last week I achieved just the right amount of pressure to crack the patella. That was the loud crack I heard.

Luckily, the patellar button he affixed to the back of the patella with my TKR probably kept it from displacing, which would have resulted in a serious problem. By immobilizing it, it should heal, so no plans for surgery at this time.


Sent from my iPhone
 
I remember the crack you were talking about. It must not have taken too much pressure to do it, something you're probably done many times. Thank goodness the button is still attached and it's not nearly as serious as it could have been.
 
This is where my lift chair's lift feature comes in handy. Trying to get out of a chair with one leg locked straight is downright tough. Sure, I could probably get in and out of my bed more easily, but there's that awful low toilet upstairs. I still have the riser on the downstairs toilet (I was just about to remove it before this happened). While I have this brace on, I'll be sleeping in the recliner again, which leaves me with easy access to a toilet I can use.

The knee feels fine with the brace on. I've been fiddling with it a little to get it correctly fitted. The poor nurse who installed it has been in orthopedics nursing for about six months, and it was the first time she'd seen this type of brace, so she did the best she could. The brace has a handy QR code on it that I used to get the intro video on how to use it and maintain the brace. Very interesting. I think I have the adjustments just about complete (it kept sliding down my leg). When I return for my appointment at the end of the month, if she has a few minutes, I'll share what I've learned with her. (Six months ago my stitches were the first ones she'd snipped, and she did a wonderful job.)

I'm resting and elevating both knees, because the straight-legged gait is messing with my other leg. It's always something.
 
When I had each kneecap removed I had to wear an immobilizer for about 6 weeks. It was terribly uncomfortable. It was fabric wrapped foam with steel, flat rods running up each size. It was full-legged with 4 Velcro straps to install it on my leg. Does that sound close to what you have to wear now? Do you have to wear it all the time, not even able to shower? I think that was the worst thing. Hopefully, you won't have to wear it as long as I did each time. I'm so glad it's feeling better with it stabilized.
 
My imbolizer slid down my leg often, right out of surgery they had one that was just wrapped around my leg with ace bandages. The PA was on her cell with my OS trying to figure out what to do with this imbolizer because they'd have to order one that would fit my already big leg that was bigger sue to swelling but it could take a few days and at the time I was only going to wear it for 2 weeks. I remember the OT and PT have yards of Velcro in their department and tell the PA as she's speaking to my OS. My wonderful OT and PT sat there, hand sewing Velcro to my brace, literally creating an imbolizer fitted specifically for my leg.

Walking with it did mess with my hip and back. After 6 weeks with it I did need help with my gait.
 
This is my brace. So far, it's reasonably comfortable. I used the QR code to watch the video about how to use and maintain it. It's a Breg.

auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170122_1bf8db3bcfdbdb83bca3b149e36e5f28.jpg


I can remove it for showering and changing clothes. Otherwise, it's supposed to be on.

Sent from my iPhone
 
That's a lot different from mine. My rods were stationary and the whole leg was covered with the foam fabric. Yours looks a lot more comfortable. Good. I wouldn't wish mine on anyone! Things have improved since the 90s!
 
Yep, mine was like Paula's, no hinges. There weren't any hinges, just rods on the sides and back which I did manage to bend a bit.
 
Here's a closeup of the hinge (an identical one on the other side). It's adjustable for a variety of flex and extension settings. The orange lever is the lock.
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20170122_1149e0ef543ac2563b4142d57ab6c7bb.jpg



Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
And I can see it slid down again. Darn thing is like plumber's pants. (No insult intended to and plumbers who are reading this.)


Sent from my iPhone
 
Hoping you get on OK on your long drive, Jean.
Did your OS give you any idea how long you will need to wear the brace?
 
My bff has a brace like yours. She needs a revision but doesn't want to do it, so the brace gives her knee stability.
 
I'm sorry to hear your patella has cracked. I hope it heals quickly. Those braces that keep your leg straight always seem to slide down no matter what you do. I hope you are cleared for your trip.
 
Celle, My OS didn't say, and I didn't ask. I may ask for a window of expectation at my follow-up on the 30th. He gave the okay for the long drive, which kind of surprised me (but I'm thankful). He asked me to come in when I get back so he can make sure I don't do any damage with the driving, which I am also thankful for because I'll feel better with it checked out, too.

Those pictures looked smaller on my phone. Next time I'll select the smaller size (I chose "medium" for uploading).

KarriB, this brace is much more comfortable than the offloader braces I had before my TKRs.
 
We arrived safely in Mississippi on Tuesday afternoon. Knee felt fine through the drive. We got the big trailer loaded today with 4200 pounds of car parts. I ran the scale and recorded the weight for each, tub, carton, and bulk piece before it got loaded.

We have about that amount to load into the other trailer tomorrow and Friday. Some of it needs to be packed into boxes. So far, so good. Glad I brought my adjustable height stool.


Sent from my iPhone
 
We made it back from our trip to Mississippi. I had my check up appointment this afternoon with my OS. According to x-rays, my separation is 1mm greater than it was. This could be not good, or it could be related to new bone production, which is good. I'm to keep the knee straight, and if the separation increases, he will have to install screws -- something neither of us wants to happen. I'm also not supposed to use my quads to lift the leg. That's a little trickier. I'm supposed to hook my other foot under the ankle like after my replacement and use that. He wants to see me again in two weeks.

I asked about the timeframe for the brace, and he said six weeks. Then we'll begin weaning me from it over the next four weeks after that. At least the brace is mostly comfortable. I picked up a portable toilet riser for our travels last week, and I'll be using it upstairs. This means I can sleep upstairs in bed instead of the recliner downstairs (with toilet riser capability for both bathrooms now), but I'll be spending a lot of time in the recliner for the next few weeks.
 
You could use a leg lifter, but I was able to use the Velcro straps to lift my leg, Jean. Let's hope it's new bone production.
 
Back
Top Bottom