Guest viewing is limited

TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Hi Jean! I have just caught up on your thread. I thought I was the only one who took those crazy steps:) That is how I fractured my patella (lost 20%) and ruptured the patellar tendon....just a silly step. My husband said it sounded like ripping velcro. I hope your tendons are OK. I was in the same type of brace for a year and it is a whole lot better than the uploader. I had sponge and fabric type wraps that i put under the brace straps that helped with the sliding problem. I used to grab the strap closest to the ankle to lift my leg when I had to move it...or the leg lifter. I used to "bling" it out for special occasions, it was almost like part of my wardrobe:) I hope it heals up for you without surgery.
 
Thank you, Peggy. As far as I know, my tendons are fine. It sounds like you had a much worse time of it than I have (so far).
 
A little update, but nothing new to report. I made the trip to and from San Antonio to be there for the city's inspection of our new HVAC system (300 miles round trip for a 5-minute inspection). Now that I'm back, I'm focusing on keeping my tail in my recliner with my knee elevated and immobilized as much as possible until the 13th, which is when my OS wants to see me again to check on my patella mending process.

I bought a domain while I was in San Antonio, so I'm using this time to build a website.
 
Don't you hate having to go so far out of your way for a 5 minute inspection. That certainly was a long distance trip. You deserve some down time.
 
Originally, I would have done some yard work or other productive things while I was down there. As it is, I picked up sticks that had fallen from the trees in the front yard -- they filled a 42-gallon contractor bag. I have another large, low, dead limb to remove from a red oak, but that will wait for another time. I want to minimize usage on this knee. I don't want to do anything that will require surgery to fix it.

Ironically, as I was driving into town, the HVAC company called to let me know the inspection was optional and to ask if I still wanted to do it. Since I'd just driven 150 miles to be there for it, I told them yes. It turned out some paperwork that made filing for the energy rebate from the electric company was also in the mail there, so it wasn't a wasted trip. I got the information they needed, signed it, and returned it. That should be worth $480 to us if it gets processed by the 10th of the month.
 
PolarBear60,
I've been asleep at the wheel and had missed all that has happened. Wise to take it easy, hope you get a good report on the 13th and can start weaning off the brace.
 
Doc sees new bone growth on my patella. I return in two weeks, take another set of X-rays, and if all is still good then, he'll open the brace up to 30 degrees while sitting. Then we progress from there 30 degrees and two weeks at a time.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Slow, steady progress is good, Jean. It sounds as if your patella is healing nicely.
 
My OS has said several times during this process that the act of installing the patellar button during the TRK resulted in a much thinner and more fragile patella. I believe this MAY be why people are told not to kneel on their new knees. Hmmm. If that's the case, I was in the process of sensitizing the new knees to kneeling to facilitate returning to some semblance of a yoga practice. I had made it up to kneeling on a mattress and hadn't made it to my 18" square 4" deep pad yet. If what I'm surmising is true, I may only be able to do a heavily modified version of yoga with no kneeling.

I return to the OS in two weeks. I believe this is a question to ask him.
 
I have a question. A couple of months ago I slid down onto the floor( on purpose) so I could figure out how to get up again. My daughter was here and since I live alone I wanted to make sure I could. I wound up kneeling on my new knee. Since then I've had some pain and fullness. It did hurt when I did it because it was a tile over concrete floor. Should I be concerned that i did something?
 
Maybe. I'd ask about it at your next appointment (if you have one coming up). Rather than kneel, I kind of turn on my side and then push up into a downward facing dog position and walk myself back up to standing on my hands or push up with a chair. I do the reverse if I have to get down (which I have not done yet with this new right knee -- I was just about to start working on that when the patella cracked). Actually, I have, once. I had a chair nearby and used that to help. And, of course, there was the flying fall I did during my early recovery when I was out walking. I'd forgotten about that. It wasn't a graceful landing, but I managed to avoid landing on both knees, so I counted it as a win. It's never a pretty process, but I can do it, and that's what's important.

I think that's going to be the answer my OS is going to give, Celle, but I want to hear his thoughts on it.
 
I won't see him until a few weeks before my surgery. I send him an email. They answer them fairly quickly. I had a hard time getting up without my daughter with me. I'll just decide to not fall at all!
 
Being without kneecaps for over 25 years and unable to get on my knees, I learned how to get up off the floor by leaning over on my side, then twisting to raise up on my toes and lower leg without ever touching my knees to the floor. I walk up with my hands with my arms straight, then my feet until I'm bent double almost. Then I raise up to a standing position. If I can do it this way, so can you all. It just takes lots of concentration. Your kneecaps will be protected that way.
 
That's my process, too. You described it much better.


Sent from my iPhone
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My OS doesn't want to see me for another month. He opened my brace up to 30 while I'm sitting. I'm to open it up one more notch each week until my next appointment. I'm also supposed to begin doing isometric quad exercises to get to ready for having the brace unlocked after the month. He's happy with the bone growth he's seeing on the x-rays.

In other news, he introduced me to his new PA. I was just telling my husband I figured he'd be getting one soon.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I asked the question about kneeling. He said he doesn't advise patients one way or the other except to say it's uncomfortable, and surgeons don't know why. The discomfort applies to all brands of implants. He said in my specific case, there's no reason for me not to kneel once this is finished healing. He did say he wasn't comfortable with me practicing kneeling just yet, and I wholeheartedly agreed with him.

At some point after I'm not wearing the brace anymore and when my knee feels comfortable again, I will resume conditioning it, starting on a mattress and working toward thinner cushioning material as I am able. I do want to be able to do some basic yoga again. I anticipate that time will be after June.
 
I can kneel, Jean, but I don't like the feeling. It's good to know that I can do it if I have to, but I wouldn't do it unless there was that need. I can't see me ever doing it by choice, for something like yoga.
 
The only time I kneel is if I end up on the floor, usually by accident. I love being on the floor, but it just hurts to much to kneel getting up and I haven't been successful getting up any other way. My niece wants me to practice alternative methods which I know is wise, but I can't bring myself to do it.
 
Back
Top Bottom