TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Celle, there's a reason wealthy people get away with having more than one home -- they have staff to take care of the maintenance. In my case, my husband and I are the staff, which makes it a little less fun.
Ah, there's the rub! We're not wealthy, either.

While we have an "emergency fund" safely squirreled away, any other money surplus to daily living is spent on travel, to visit our kids, and on helping the one of them who needs more support.
 
Which, when you think about it, is better than a stuffy house you need to maintain.

Clipped off fifteen or so of the largest rogue trees growing in the shrimp plant bed. The outside of my new knee is sore. I have it propped up, and that feels better. I'm done for the day. Maybe I'm done for this trip. We'll see how things feel tomorrow. I may have to go out and buy an ice pack. I don't have one here.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@Celle my husband and I downsized on our home several years ago, our passion is traveling and that's what we really to do, Instead of expensive gifts we take trips, fortunately our children are financially independent, but we do help my dad financially, his social security is not much. We can't travel very far because of my dad, but that is what we love to do. We have been yo England, Italy, France, Canada, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, the Bahamas, and many other places in the states, one of our favorite gateways is St Augustine, Florida isjust a few short hours away!
 
After a little rest, the knee feels much better. Still taking it easy for the rest of the day. My pile for the trash guys is about as tall as it can get. They'll pick everything up on Monday and make room for more.
 
Week 13 Update

I had my final visit to PT today. Last month, I was doing well at my assessment, so my PT asked where I wanted to go from there. I discussed how I thought I just needed time, but I wanted to wait a month and see how things were. He thought that was a great idea, gave me his email address and told me to email if I had any questions or to schedule an appointment any time if I thought I needed anything. Fast forward to this week, and I went in and said, "Unless you have concerns, I think I'm done."

We talked about stairs and low seats, which were my goals when I started, and stairs are coming along -- I actually came downstairs earlier this week in a very easy manner, much to my surprise. And I've been able to get up off the low toilet seat upstairs with relative ease. Easily enough that I'm actually thinking I'll be able to remove the riser from the downstairs toilet at some time in the not-to-distant future. So, like wow, right? He had me sit and stand from a chair that gave me a little trouble a month ago, and I sat and stood with ease.

He measured ROM and said my right was within 3 degrees of my left, and we all know that's nothing. He indicated he was confident it would be just fine, and, of course, it will. He checked strength on both legs and said they were equal. Then, I think he manipulated my kneecap. I didn't feel anything and he was happy with what he observed. I didn't ask about my ROM, because it was 120 and 0 last month, so I figure it's at least that this month.

On my self-assessment paperwork, I indicated I could do everything with little or no pain. The only thing I rated myself low on was squatting and kneeling, but hey, who can do that at three months out from surgery? Not this woman. Maybe next year at this time, and I'm okay with that. PT certainly won't make it happen any sooner, and my therapist understands this.

I'm all done, but he said to call or email anytime if I have any concerns, and we'll get it worked out.

Last week, I drove the three-hour drive to San Antonio with no trouble and did yard work for at least an hour and sometimes up to three hours a day all week. I also walked about a mile four mornings. I drove back to Central Texas this week with no troubles.

I have a ton of traveling over the next couple months, and I think I'm ready. Heading out on our annual trek to PA next Wednesday morning. I'll do most of the driving on this trip while my husband tells me where to go. Adding a degree of difficulty this year making last minute turns a challenge, will be the small enclosed trailer I'll be pulling behind the truck with will haul our two mobility scooters. We bought one for me last year, but my husband's last minute health problems meant he used mine. This year, we each have one (even though I probably won't need one anymore, I wasn't sure, so we have two). The trailer means we'll still have plenty of space in the truck for all the stuff my husband needs to haul with him wherever he goes, and the two suitcases, CPAP machine, and computer case I take with for me. Since this whole trip is a big shopping trip for him -- he shops; I drive -- we'll have room if he finds stuff to buy, too.

It's nice to be back to living a mostly normal life.

For the things that will still take time to fix, I have the numbness on the outside of my knee. There's also an occasional painful area just to the outside of my incision that feels like that's the area where my OS (in layman's terms) split the tissues to make the implant. In a set of images from the Library, Josephine indicates this is usually done medially rather than laterally, but what feels like deep bruising in on the lateral side of my knee. It's minor, and it will go away, but that's my observation. (Just checked the operative report, and it says standard medial side, so I'm not sure why it feels like he'd split the lateral side. Shrug.)
 
Congratulations, PolarBear60! That is a great report. It is wonderful that you can return to a full life. I hope you and your husband have a pleasant trip East. You are well on your way to a total recovery. God speed!
 
Enjoy all your traveling. You know how to take care of your knee, so you shouldn't have any problems. Just love your new knee!
 
I saw you (as a PolarBear) in my dreams last night! Can't remember much about it. :) Must be a good omen.
 
:D


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
If you're in the Poconos pack warmly we are getting frost tonight in NE PA.

You have done very well with your recovery. You are amazing with all you do!
 
Thanks, newly bionic. We're heading to HersheyPark for the fall auto swap meet that takes place in their parking lot the first week of October every year. So far, the 10-day forecast is showing daytime 70s and nighttime 50s -- ideal for wandering around all day. We always pack cold weather gear as well as rain gear for this trip, because we have experienced temperatures from the 30s to the 80s in previous years as well as constant rain or constant sun.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016 LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006 Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
The mountains in PA seem to be problematic for forecasters. At least that's their excuse! This week is going to be chilly in western PA, low in the 40s-50s and highs in the low 70s-60s. After last week I'll take it. This scorching summer has me ready for fall.
Jean, where do you all stay or do you travel with a camper?
 
KarriB, mostly we stay in Best Westerns or Holiday Inn Expresses.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Here's the "support rig" to keep my husband in batteries as he drives the Hershey Swap Meet in his scooter. The trailer holds two batteries and supports the solar charging station. I preserve my battery by mostly staying in one place unless he needs me to run stuff back to the truck.
[Bonesmart.org] PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)



Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Sixteen week update:

I've been driving my husband all over the country for the last two weeks for his vacation. My knees swelled a little early on. I iced knees one night and took my essential oil mix. The knees did better. I took an oil mix a couple days ago for discomfort.

Today, we got caught in Charlotte, NC, rush hour stop and go traffic. My right knee began objecting to this, but I had to push through (no practical way to swap drivers in the middle of the freeway). Once we made it to the motel, and I got out of the truck, all was well. A little swelling tonight, but it should be down by morning.

I was able to walk a huge Antique mall this year that had been excruciating to traverse in previous years. I am so pleased with these knees.


Jean

RTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 June 2016
LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Happy you are able to enjoy your time away, walking the antique mall with no problems. :egypdance:
 
Back
Top Bottom