Guest viewing is limited

TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Thanks, I'll check them out.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am thrilled to report that standing from a low seat is becoming effortless. Going up and down stairs "normally" is nearly pain-free. I thought this day would never get here.

I haven't worn the brace since the day after I was cleared to work my way out of it. I'll begin working on gentle stretching and flexibility, but I think this knee is on track for this point post-surgery.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
The website if you wish to look at those socks I mentioned is www.bombas.com/socks
They make all kinds and colors and do contribute a pair for each one bought to those who have none.

I did get an assortment of socks from Bombas. They are well-made and very comfortable. I don't know if they're doing anything to benefit my plantar fascitis or not, but they are a pleasure to wear. When fall rolls around, I'll probably order another six pair of crew socks. The other socks I found were too restrictive, so thanks for sharing this link, Marian.
 
I've been looking at these, Jean. I'm wondering if they have plain white. I see lots of bright colors.
 
Hi Jean! So happy that you are out of the brace and things are going well. I'm at the 30* right now. Mine advances 30 every 2 weeks. Can't wait to be out of the brace too!
 
Karri, I got the men's ankle socks. Pack of six, 2 black, 2 white, and 2 gray. All white is an option. I didn't look at the women's side to see if they have a similar package. There are a lot of bright colors, and I wish I were a crazy sock person because they would be really neat to wear.
 
I guess the crazy colors would be ok for around the house. I have such a hard time with socks because my TKR leg is larger than my left and it means some socks just roll down my leg. It's annoying. Then my heel is super sensitive so I love soft padding on the sole of socks. I'm definitely considering them.
 
I had my patella follow up appointment today. X-rays are good. To me, the knee feels like it's back on track for a normal TKR recovery at ten months old. My surgeon tapped on the patella today, and it did hurt, so there is that. He wants me to avoid kneeling on the right knee or doing deep squats for the next four months (I think he said months). He said the new bone is still getting organized, so he doesn't want to stress it. I want it to heal nice and strong, so I'm listening.

I told him that last month I thought he was kidding about me being able to even consider doing the stairs two at a time (since he told me not to), but this month, I could see it as an eventual possibility (not anytime real soon, though). Where the ability to do stairs two at a time comes into play is more related to one of my stated goals when I went in for my consultation prior to him agreeing to do my TKRS. I told him I needed to be able to climb scaffolding. That first step up to climb scaffolding is at least the same distance as taking stairs two at a time. Having the strength in my legs to be able to help my arms lift my body to climb scaffolding is critical.

With my left knee recently turning two, I think it's nearly strong enough for pull my body up two steps at a time. The right knee at ten months and a freshly healing patella crack isn't quite ready yet. I'm going to guess that by the time it reaches two years old, I may be pleasantly surprised at what it can do!
 
It sounds as if you're almost there, Jean. :yes!: :yay: :happydance:

Do be careful with that kneecap. If you can avoid kneeling, perhaps not kneeling on it in the future would be wise.
 
Without kneecaps, I've learned to never kneel. It has it's disadvantages, but you can find ways to work around it. You are doing so good and can see the end of the road!
 
I'm just going to ask, what are you doing on scaffolding?
 
I bet it is gorgeous! I love older homes. They sure don't build them like they used to! Do be extra careful with that new kneecap. Treat it like the baby it is!
 
Hi Jean! Happy things are going well. That sounds like quite the job..2 stories. I love to paint but have a problem with heights so I wouldn't be up on the scaffolding:) I love older houses..you will have to send a picture. Growing up in New England there were a lot.
 
My right knee is one year old today. I had my two year follow-up for my left knee and my one-year follow-up for my right knee with my surgeon's brand new PA today. Well, he's been there about six months, so he isn't THAT new. I'm okay with this. They want to use the PA for injections and follow-ups, which frees the surgeon to focus his time and expertise on people getting ready for surgery, doing the surgery, and just recovering from surgery. Since both my knees are doing great right now, I'm glad to not be needing the direct attention of my surgeon, and I want him to be attending to people like I was attended to by him leading up to and immediately after my surgeries.

Back in January, I had concerns, but all my concerns evaporated as I found myself resting in a chair while my cracked patella recovered from February until April. Hmmmm. Would I have done better if I'd done that earlier? We'll never know, but I suspect maybe so. Since April, I've been able to climb and descend stairs normally (unless I'm tired or the there are some inhibiting factors -- no railing (back steps) or I'm carrying something bulky (laundry basket). I have little or no pain in my knees.

I do have some observations. The sensation on the outside of my left knee is approaching normal (I have heard this is a three year process), and my right knee's sensation is on target for regaining sensation, too. I have a lot of cramping in my left leg, usually at night as morning approaches. PA recommended potassium-rich foods and also tonic water (sound familiar?). He also recommended regular water, since I may be getting dehydrated. I agree witth all those things.

The only things that would make things better for me would be for me to lose weight. I've been trying to get back into my routine post-vacation (we took a month-long vacation in May). Part of that is getting back to walking in the morning (before the Texas heat becomes even more unbearable).

(Cross-posted an adjusted duplicate of this in my left knee thread.)
 
Back
Top Bottom