TKR PolarBear60's Stryker Triathalon Journey (Right)

Thank you for your experiences, Celle and Karri. I may decide the same, but I'm going to see what I can do -- when the time is right.
 
It's nice to be able to bend the knee, even if only while sitting. I was anxious to open up to 50 degrees today. I'm supposed to be doing isometric quad exercises, and as far as I can tell, that's going fine.

For sitting, 50 degrees is much nicer than 30. Chomping at the bit for next week when it will be 70 and, of course, the week after when it will be 90 again.
 
You'll be there before you know it!
 
I know how you feel, Jean. Propped up was the only comfortable position to sit with a straight leg. I'm glad you're able to bend gradually.
 
I'm not exactly certain what my OS's timeline is after the end of the month. It looks like I may be getting this brace off just before we leave on the Grand Tour (month-long train trip and cruise). Immediately before boarding the train in San Antonio on April 30th, we have to make a quick trip to Fort Worth for the granddaughter's wedding on the 29th. Thank goodness they are doing it as 10:45 am, or we wouldn't have been able to make it.

Even if I'm cleared to not wear the brace, I'm debating whether to collapse the brace and tuck it in my luggage "just in case." I expect what I need to do will become clearer as the time nears.
 
This week the brace is opened up to 70 when I'm sitting. Honestly, when I'm in the house, I don't usually lock it in place when I get up and walk to the kitchen (for instance). I do try to keep my leg straight. Sometimes, in the evening, I do notice a little...sensation? in the right side of the knee. Not sure what to make of it, but it doesn't seem to be causing any problems.

70 seems to be the magic number for being able to get into and out of the truck without extra maneuvering. I've locked in and gone out to do some winter yard work I like to get done before the spring growth spurts begin. I'm not quite making it before growth, but I am getting it done. I need to use the weedeater, but I don't want weed bits flung into the brace. I finally decided I'll pull a pair of "snap pants" (sweat pants with snap sides) over the brace, and that should protect it from machine-flung weed bits. Charging batteries now.
 
Great news today. I can start working my way out of my brace. My OS likes that he's seeing cross-bridging in the bone as it heals. I can sit and pull my knee toward me to work on range of motion, but I'm not to do deep squats (yikes, absolutely not). He recommends walking and stationary cycling. I can do normal stairs but not two at a time (I laughed and told him how funny he was!). He suggests after a week or so, I may feel comfortable removing the brace.

He said I may need to use my arms to get out of chairs for a few weeks, but I cheated last night and this morning. With the brace off for changing and showering, I gave the low toilet upstairs a try without the portable riser, and I was able to sit and stand with relative ease. This is a big thrill for me.

My plan is to use the brace unlocked for walking around for at least the next week, then remove it for most if not all activities after that. If I need to do any lifting or carrying, I may lock it in for protection. I did remove the brace when I got home to sit in the chair. My leg appreciates the opportunity to "air out."

He wanted to see me in six weeks, but I'll be on vacation, so I'm stopping in at the end of April before we leave on the trip for a check-up.

I also asked my other three questions. The first was about the sciatica numbness on the outer edge of my right foot from a year and a half ago that has not gone away. He says if it isn't getting any worse to not worry about it -- there's likely nothing to be done (his explanation was better than I got from my primary doc, so I'm glad I asked the question). For my plantar fascitis, he recommends a soft brace at night or, if that doesn't help, a shot for the heel. For the intermittent numbness in my right hand that adding a sulfur supplement coupled with Super B and Super C supplements has helped but not resolved, I'm scheduled for a nerve conduction test on the 13th to pinpoint where the problem is (his nurse is working with my primary care doc to get the appropriate referral(s)).

Overall, a very satisfying day.
 
I know you'll be so glad to get out of that brace! You have been through so much and are finally seeing the end of the journey. I wish the best for you!
 
I'm happy that your OS has cleared you to wean off the brace. You'll be able to enjoy your trip.

There is a sock company called Bombas that make socks that are supposed to be helpful if you have plantar fasciitis. For every sock you buy they donate a pair. They are very comfortable but since I don't have that problem I can't say whether they would be helpful or not.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What a relief to get out of the brace for a while and what good news! When I was able to take off the imbolizer my leg felt so weak, so I weaned off the brace slowly.
Marian, I'll have to look at those socks because the ones I love from Goldtoe have been discontinued. We are getting close to flip flop season so I can soon break out my Vionics which are the only shoes that my heel loves. Have you tried them, Jean? They provide great support.
 
That's all good news, Jean. It's great that you are now allowed to work your way out of the brace.
 
Good news, Jean! I know you'll be glad to ditch that brace for good. Are you doing calf stretches for the plantar fasciitis? That exercise was what did the trick for me....plus some ultrasound treatments on my foot a couple of times a week for about a month. It's really difficult to get to plantar fasciitis!
 
I didn't find the Bombas socks, but I did find another brand that I have coming to try. I have not tried the Vionics yet, Karri. I don't wear sandals, but I did find an athletic-type shoe I've placed in my cart at Amazon.

I've been doing the calf stretches to no avail. I finally got my new orthotics from the VA. I kept waiting and waiting for my letter telling me they were in and it never came. Finally, I called, and they said, "They've been here since the end of October (the week after they were ordered!), didn't you get the letter?" Ah, no, that's why I haven't been in to pick them up. I confirmed the address. I stopped by to pick them up, but they'd mailed them to the house (scheduled for delivery that day, signature required), so I got them the next day. I've been wearing them for over a month with little relief.

I've ordered a night splint, and I'll see how that goes. I've never had to do anything this drastic before. I may resort to a shot if this hasn't resolved by the time we get back from vacation in June. I had one twenty years ago when I had a bad case of PF, and it helped.
 
I remember you from during my journey with the knee... and I too am dealing with a patella fracture! I have my TKR in August of 2015 but I don't have any memory of a moment that it fractured... just that I noticed the "dead area" on the left side of knee was suddenly sensitive. I had a communited fracture, 6mm separation and one side was crushed into pieces! The button was also loose. They said the same thing, that the reshaping of the patella left it thin and fragile...

They did surgery on March 6 to remove button and see what they could do. They were able to save half of the patella and reshape it... so no brace! I was so scared of the brace. But now I'm back to ice machine, big cut and then PT... uuggh! Is is so frustrating. I am so happy to,hear you are starting to get some mobility? How much weakness is there in quads for you? Do you still have the pain on the tip top of the knee (mine is still sensitive)?

Wishing u all the best!
 
Hi, Poz222, I remember you, too, and am sorry to hear about your patella...disintegration (?). I had no real pain from the crack -- just a sensation that something wasn't right, and, of course, the loud crack when it happened. My neighbor was standing three feet away, and he heard it loud and clear, too. You're still very new in the patella recovery, and your knee is also young. Since my patella issue, I'm noticing more around the site. I think it's a hazard of the surgery they don't really discuss. At least they're prepared to handle it when it comes up.

I wore the brace to keep the patella from cracking further and requiring surgery. I was surprised at how comfortable the brace was, but after two and a half months, I'm tired of it. I took it off shortly after I got home on Monday, put it back on before bed Monday night. Took it off mid-morning on Tuesday and have left it off since then except for when I took a walk around the block this morning. My OS kept talking about quad weakness, but I haven't noticed any. The knee mostly bends, but at the maximum range of flex, it's a little stiff and sore. I believe walking will help that. He also said I could sit and hug the knee to me to get that stretch in. He made it look much easier than it is, but he's probably a hundred pounds lighter than me and a lot more trim. I do think I'll put the brace on and unlocked whenever I'm doing any significant walking around for the next week or so. I feel better with the extra support.

I'm not noticing any pain on top of the knee. Mine is on the lateral side, and I have a larger bump there than on the left lateral side. I meant to ask him about it on Monday, but I forgot. If I think of it, I'll ask at the next appointment -- unless it gets smaller or goes away over the next few weeks. The new right knee is only 9 months old, so it's still doing some healing from the TKR.
 
I think ur right that it is an undermentioned hazard... I too had no idea it happened... just started to feel "didderent"... then as the button separated and moved around I had lots of pain when I went upstairs (weight on blended knee). But I was walking on it... glad u are starting to get it moving again. Mine was beyond hope of growing back together (it was a vertical break and the other half was in about 8 pieces). I have a lot of avascular necrosis which did not leave them much to work with I guess? Anyway, glad u are on the mend....
 
The website if you wish to look at those socks I mentioned is www.bombas.com/socks
They make all kinds and colors and do contribute a pair for each one bought to those who have none.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom