PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

Navy really looking forward to getting 6 months out, other than that would mean I’ll be close to coming back from Florida ,and will have to make decision about right knee. For that matter llooking forward to the 3 month mark. Can do a lot of normal things now,but just can’t do them for very long yet.
 
Thanks @Softtail and @mopa! Believe me, life after TKR/PKR is much better than before! Just takes patience and persistence, but mainly patience. I’m still expecting the occasional setback but also expecting those to be fewer and farther between.
 
The crunchy sound in post-op knees is the same you get when you tear the leg off a roast chicken! It's the sound of gristle bending, that's all.
 
Today was another “first” test for my new knee. Once it starts getting cold and the ground freezes up a bit, I help my son in law and his father with a side business he has harvesting fallen trees that he sells as firewood. They run the saws while I load the trailer(s). Typically we are loading a small trailer that I then pull out of the woods with either a 4-wheeler or tractor and then transfer to a larger double axle trailer. I get my daily workout that way. Today was the first since my PKR last April. Knee did very well except for when I banged it on the corner of the trailer. Probably would have hurt worse with my other knee since I caught most of it where my numb patch is :heehee:! Don’t even see a bruise so I know I didn’t hit it too hard.

I think my biggest complaint later will not be my knee or legs, but my shoulders and back as they haven’t seen that kind of workout in months! I didn’t even have any issues climbing on and off the 4-wheeler. I made extra sure I watched my footing in the woods (real easy to step on a hidden log and twist your knee or ankle).

Knowing that wood cutting season is here also means winter is right around the corner. Will be interesting see how my new knee tolerates the cold. Before PKR, my knee didn’t like it at all.
 
Sounds like a good test of whole body. Some aches and pains probably expected. Looking forward to getting 6 months out, but that won’t be till a March.
 
@NavyGunns what is a numb patch? I’m pulling out Christmas decorations and my shoulders are killing me, so I literally feel your pain...ouch
 
@Doupie, I am sooo sorry I never acknowledged or responded to your post and question! No excuse on my part!

Numb patch? There is an area just below and to the outside of my kneecap that is numb to touch. It’s typical following TKR/PKR due to the incision cutting through major nerve bundle in that area. There is an article in the library. Here is a link: https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/numb-area-after-tkr-how-long-will-it-last.5931/

New update:
For the past few weeks, I’ve been adding time on a stationary bike to my workout to see if it aggravates my ITB tendinitis. I started out with the seat quite high to minimize the amount of bend (I’m 6’2” so the means I’m sitting up quite high). I’ve now got the seat sitting down about 6-7” lower than I started. This forces my knee to bend quite a bit and puts some decent stress on my knee, especially when the resistance increases (I have it set on random so the resistance changes throughout the workout). I’m up to 35 - 40 mins and cover well over 5 equivalent miles during that time. Not having any issues with my knee, actually to the contrary, it really feels good after the workout. Nice and loose, no pain, etc. Next morning, different story. Not much pain (occasional twinge) but stiff. Once up and moving all is good again. I feel this is mainly due to soft tissues still adjusting and healing. No different than tight muscles after a hard workout. Stretching the ITB afterwards also much easier.
 
I just spent all day yesterday hunting with my son in law and his father. I’m not actually hunting, more like a spotter, but still had to hike almost a mile across the farm fields and into the woods to where they wanted to set up for the day. It was a long one too. Up since 3 am, 2 hour drive to his uncles dairy farm in south central MI. Out in the morning till almost 10, hike back to car and go get late breakfast, repeat for the afternoon hunt. One good sized buck harvested from the effort. I’m the one who had to hike back to get the ATV we used to bring him out. No pains, no complaints, no stiffness, even from sitting for hours in the cold. Life is good!
 
It’s now officially Beautiful’s favorite time of year (Christmas), which means this weekend has been and will continue to be very busy for me, as well as another test of my new knee. Spent yesterday hauling bins and bins of decorations and lights up from the basement. Must have made at least a dozen trips up and down those steps! Thankfully I’m able to do them foot over foot with no issues. Once that was done, it was outside for about 3-4 hours of stringing lights. At least the job is a bit easier these times. All LED so no fussing with strands that don’t work and I no longer string lights in the trees (they’ve gotten too tall). I don’t even have the job outside done! Raining today, so now I’m busy inside putting up the trees. Yes, I said trees! We have three large ones (8’, 7’, & 6’) put up in the living room, family room, and upstairs front bedroom in front of the double windows. There are a few other smaller trees that Beautiful puts up herself. I assemble the larger trees and string the lights, she does all the rest. She started putting up her Christmas decorations yesterday. She gets most done the weekend after Thanksgiving, but still takes the entire week after to finish! Each room has its own set of bins and decoration theme!

So far, my knee didn’t complain too much. Got a bit of twing from the ITB tendinitis going down the steps which bothered for a while, but settled down by evening. Didn’t keep me awake at all. Can’t say the same last year. Definitely did not enjoy the times I had to kneel on the ground or floor! Have got to go invest in some good knee pads!

Well, my break is almost over. The “Boss” is asking when I’m getting back to the tasks at hand! Such a slave driver! Good thing I love her dearly!:loveshwr:
 
Christmas is my favorite time of the year as well. I put up 5 trees as well as decorations outside including lights in all the trees.
Yesterday I returned to the ODIC and was hurting pretty bad last night. Had to elevate and ice a couple of times yesterday. Moving a little slow today. I can’t wait until this knee pain is a distant memory...
 
Merry Christmas to all! May God’s Grace and Peace be upon you, your families, and all the world! May everyone enjoy the everything that this Christmas Day has to offer and experience the miracle of not venturing to the ODIC while doing so!

I enjoyed the blessing of Christmas on Sunday with my two granddaughters (9 & 4) and my 1 week old grandson! Today will be a bit quieter, just Beautiful and me until dinner when my daughter and son-in-law come over.

Eight months post PKR and all is well (for the most part). Still have occasional twinge in the same area where the ITB attaches to the fibula. Just about the time I think it’s gone, it reminds me it’s still there. Still have 4 more months till the 1 yr. mark, if it’s still there by then, I’ll have questions for my OS.
 
Merry Christmas!
May your day be filled with all of God's blessings! I pray that twinge will go away!
 
Spent over an hour today helping my son in law cut and load wood (large red oak) into his trailer for sale as firewood. Never gave my knee any thought the entire time (other than to make sure I didn’t bang it against the side of the trailer, but that went for both knees). When we were done, the only thing hurting was my back and shoulders, but not bad. I love getting outside in the cold (24 degrees F) and helping him as it’s a great workout!

I’m just over 2 months away from a real test for my new knee. Beautiful and I are taking a 7 day cruise to the Western Caribbean with 10 other family members. Lots of walking planned during excursions to Mayan ruins and other port stops. Have challenged three of my nieces (mid 20s) to see can make it to the top without stopping! Let’s see if this old (59) man still has it in him! Lol.
 
You’ll do great on the cruise! I love reading your updates as you give me hope that all will get better with time.
 
I hope you have no repercussions from your work tonight and tomorrow! It sounds like you do well in the cold. Not many of our knees like that much cold! I'm glad you enjoyed your day!
 
Well Michigan is now officially a member of the Arctic Club! All the years I spent growing up in western NY and these past 20+ years in MI, I’ve never experienced temps like we’ve had today and will have tomorrow! But, I can say that the new knee is tolerating it fairly well. Doesn’t bother me any worse than before my PKR, actually better I think.

Last weekend I spent another couple of hours outside helping my son in law cut and load wood into the trailer with temps in the teens. Never noticed my knee at all.

Everyone in the Great Lakes area, please stay warm and safe!

NG
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom