Guest viewing is limited

PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

Flights out went fine. Aisle seat on both so was able to bend and stretch my knee all I wanted, along with he occasional walk up the aisle. Much better than when I took a similar trip at week 6. Tomorrow is officially 6 month anniversary for my surgery date. Another milestone achieved. Halfway through the normal recovery. I don’t have any follow up with my OS until 1 yr unless I have problems or concerns to discuss. Nothing so far, expecting to keep it that way.
 
Grandkids can make your day. Had my grandson last weekend for 2 days, He looked at my scar and asked me if my knee hurt, and I told him it comes and goes. His reply was sometimes he feels a tingle in his knees too, so not to worry cause that’s normal. Out of the mouths of babes huh. Can’t wait for that tingle to go away lol.
@Softtail , i have been staying at daughters with 5 yr grandson, he fetches for me when i ice....he knows the drill. After week 2 when i got up from couch he hopped up and put used ice packs across both knees and promptly said I'm icing now nana. 5 mins later hes asking me to fetch drink for him as hes busy icing.:rotfl:
 
Well, business trip went well. Felt really good so decided to spend some time in the hotel gym doing light leg presses and other light leg exercises. Although I didn’t have any visible swelling, the IT band and leg muscles still didn’t like that activity. Kept me up most of the night feeling real achy. Of course, since I haven’t had issues, I didn’t think about packing any zip lock baggies for ice. Relied on Tylenol and Motrin instead. Stayed away from the gym the rest of the week. Much better today, especially with all the walking through the airports and standing at the gate waiting to board. It’s been 6 months so I’m a bit surprised at how little it takes to get things angry again. I have no issues with walking, bending my knee (guessing ROM is 0 - 130+). But any kind of additional stress or slight twisting on the knee causes the ITB to flair up. On top of that, the main ligament running up the inside of the thigh is still very tight. Can’t sit with my left leg crossed (ankle on my right knee) because it’s so tight and sore. Maybe I should see about getting a script for some time with PT for some stretches and massage? When I try to stretch them, I find the muscles going into guard mode and refusing to relax. Wondering if having a pt work the area would be better. I’m not supposed to go back to my OS till 1 yr unless I have issues. I don’t know that this situation is of enough concern to warrant calling him. Guess I’ll just think some more on this.

One more flight till home. Looking forward to the weekend.
 
In spite of all my issues my leg at 19 months is more relaxed and bend better now than it has been throughout my recovery. Patience to let things heal has at least awarded me that.

Your recovery has been really good, but it’s still “only” been 6 months and there is still plenty of healing to take place.
 
@NavyGunns you are doing awesome at 6 months and like you I try to exercise but my knee says “Hold up I’m in charge for now”...lol
The tightness and stiffness after exercise drives me crazy because I can use the machines but the pay for it afterwards. I’m back in PT and he is stretching my back which has greatly helped the tightness in my knee. He works on the area around L3, L4, & L5.

I meant to ask you if you hear a crunchy sound when you bend your knee? Mine is on the inside area when I bend and it use to be really tender/sore when I touched but PT/time is making it better. I can’t wait until we are completely healed....Amen
 
Thanks @Jockette and @Doupie for the kind words and support. I keep reminding myself, as I do other members, this is a year long process and I’m only half way. Overall my knee feels great and I can do pretty much whatever I want, just very frustrating to still have this nagging pain and the tightness inside my thigh. But, enough of that. Finally am home. Flights went well. No issues with lack of legroom. Didn’t even feel the need to get up and walk around. Of course, I made sure I had an aisle seat which helps. Another trip in two weeks, this one back east, then back out to the west coast the first week of December.

@Doupie, I do sometimes hear and feel what you describe. It doesn’t hurt like it did before surgery and it comes from inside the knee rather than the outside area that was damaged. My guess is it may be the the lubricating fluid and other soft tissues with the joint. Don’t really know. I only notice it when I’m on my back flexing my knee back and forth. Normal walking and other activities, never notice it.

The pt you describe is what I want to try. May end up making a quick appt just to see if that might be worthwhile.
 
Well, this week (actually Sunday) was the start of a Health and Wellness challenge within my company that we call Defending 22. We challenge all employees to voluntarily sign up for a 22 day challenge that begins Oct 21 and ends on Nov 11. Employees are asked to commit to some form of health and wellness challenge around nutrition, exercise, lifestyle balance, or any combination. Our corporate Health & Wellness Council (of which I’m a member) created Defending 22 three years ago to help bring awareness to mental health issues facing our active duty military and veterans that, according to a 2012 study by the Veterans Administration Department, lead to an average of 22 suicides PER DAY! Based on the number of employees who sign up to the challenge, my employer donates to three different veterans charities who specialize working with veterans and active duty military who may be facing struggles in an effort to bring that number down to zero. The welfare of our military and their families is of great concern to me personally and my employer given the nature of my line of work. Our favorite company motto is “We Protect Those Who Protect Us”.

My personal challenge is to begin adding leg exercises to my daily workout routine. I’m trying to be smart about how I approach this challenge. This week I’ve focused mainly on stretching and light exercises using no weights or short time on the elliptical. So far, all seems to be going well, no unusual pains and just minor muscle aches and stiffness, especially in the morning. Those little issues help to remind me why I’m doing this, it’s good for me and helps others in the end.

For all the BoneSmarties out there who do or have served, Thank You for your service! It is greatly appreciated! God Bless you all!

NG
 
Navy, I think some exercises are a good idea,since it’s the muscles that really give us back that stability that tells us our knee is back. I am amazed at 7 weeks out just how good mine feels. Obviously way far away from fully healed (like 10 months lol), but compared to how it was at 3 weeks , it’s amazing what I can do now without pain. Anyway my guess is soreness is good, pain is bad so if soreness and stiffness are the result, push on.
 
@NavyGunns I'm a little over 6 months since my left TKR. So I've started up my leisure walking again!! It feels so great to be able to walk without knee pain!! I'm starting out slowly, only walking for about 15 or 20 minutes at a time, as I don't want to push myself. I still get some stiffness and achiness in the mornings, but I think that's due to the change of seasons. Good for you for joining in on your company's challenge!! I love being outdoors during the fall, the colors of the leaves are just anazing!!
 
@NavyGunns , sounds like you got a really good approach at the moment, re yr exercise.

I am a hugh advocate of stretching, was pre-op and cant help but get back as much as i am able now.

I really believe that good stretching combined with muscle strength is the way to go
Suzanne
 
Hi Navy...I’ve had a setback at the 5 month mark. I guess I returned to a too rigorous yoga schedule ( I got board with the gentle classes). I felt great at 3 months and now...not so great. I really appreciate the reminder that this is a long process and patience is key.
 
@Josephine what is the crunchy sound we hear when we bend our knee? I’m sure you have probably answered this before....:)

@NavyGunns

I meant to ask you if you hear a crunchy sound when you bend your knee? Mine is on the inside area when I bend and it use to be really tender/sore when I touched but PT/time is making it better. I can’t wait until we are completely healed....Amen
 
@Smythe89, you are correct, it’s real easy to over do things too early when we start feeling like the knee is ready for more. It’s happened to me too many times. I’m a bit stubborn and kept refusing to acknowledge I needed to take a “more gentle” approach, even though I’m always telling others the same thing. I’m learning this time though.
 
@Doupie, I have no clue what causes the crunching noise other than maybe it’s cause is similar to when someone cracks their knuckles. It doesn’t hurt, unlike before PRK, so I’m not overly concerned myself.

FYI, Josephine is off line this week so don’t be surprised if you don’t hear from her for a while.
 
Just spent 3 painful hours walking around the mall with Beautiful doing Christmas shopping! Ugh! However, the pain was NOT with my knee, if you get my drift:rotfl:!

Seriously though, other than the pain in my butt (i.e. wallet) and shoulders from carrying bags, I couldn’t have felt better! Been a long time since I haven’t had my knee really protesting such treatment. I love it! Problem is, now I’ve lost an excuse to go sit down someplace or complain that we need to leave and go home! Darn:heehee:!
 
You can still use the line, “I’m only 6 months in a year long recovery.”

@Jockette, lol, wish I could, but Beautiful wouldn’t buy that excuse! She sees me golfing, bowling, doing yard work, etc. with no complaints. So using the complaint I’m still only halfway through recovery as an excuse to avoid helping her with shopping wouldn’t fly. In all fairness to her, she really doesn’t give me much grief. If I wanted to go sit, she would have been fine with it, I’m just impressed that the painful stiff knee of old is all gone. In fact, it’s almost a distant memory, I’m finding it hard to remember what it used to be like before surgery. Unlike many others, my knee condition did not restrict most of my activities and I didn’t have much in the way of acute pain, more the constant ache and discomfort at night. I was keenly aware of specific actions that would cause intense sharp pain and would avoid those as much as possible.

Beautiful and I got back from an annual weekend outing we take to the Saginaw, MI area this time of year. Good food, fun times, and no knee issues all make for a great time.
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom