Guest viewing is limited

PKR PKR Success - 1 yr out.

My kids in Ohio are also in the deep freeze, one of them didn’t even have mail delivery today! It’s bad when that happens! School was closed so both my daughters took the kids and went to the aquarium together!

You’re so blessed that the cold doesn’t bother your knee much!
 
Thanks @Jockette. I agree, there are many aspects related to my PKR that I feel blessed about, because I know it’s not the same with others. Of course, who knows what time will bring about? But I don’t worry about such things, can’t do anything about what I don’t control, so I do what I know I can do and put the rest into God’s capable and loving hands with the faith that all will be just fine.

Regarding the weather, we had no mail delivery either. Schools had closed Monday due to snow, yesterday they closed for ice and then announced they would be closed through Thursday due to cold. First time schools ever announced a multiple day closure all at once. Normally they go day by day. I have family in northern Florida who were complaining about the temps being in the 30s, I told them to suck it up and deal with it. Right now, 30s is shorts and tee shirt weather to me!
 
I do remember when I was living in Ohio and the temperature went up into the 30s after a cold snap and as I walked across the Walmart parking lot, it literally felt like Spring!
 
So I thought I’d post a short update.

This coming Saturday (16th) will be 10 months post op. One year knee-versary just around the corner.

I achieved another significant milestone this week. Earlier this week I visited one of my production plants. Over those two days I spent a total of about 6 hrs each day on my feet on concrete floors wearing steel-toed shoes. Prior to my PKR, I wouldn’t have been able to tolerate much more than an hour before I had to find someplace to sit. Then I would have a fitful night of no sleep due to the achiness.

This time, no pain, no needing to go sit down, no aches at night, slept fine (for it being a hotel bed). I wasn’t sure what it would be like, but it was amazing.
 
Yahoo! What a fantastic report, especially for being only 10 months out! You're doing something right!
 
Thanks @sistersinhim! For the most part, I’m at the point where I don’t even think much about my knee unless I do something that makes the ITB twinge. I’m looking forward to my 1 yr follow up with my OS to see what he says.
 
That must feel kind of like a fairy-tale come true. 10 Months seems like a long time looking forward, but now that you’re there it’s got to feel super-great considering where you would have been otherwise.

My surgeon told me that 1 year out, I would be fine. I didn’t like that “1 year” part, but I was already not too far (probably quite a bit less than that) from a wheelchair. So now, I’m looking forward to that time instead of dreading it, even though I still have one knee to go.

Considering that I am a semi-retired Manufacturing Engineer, I can’t help but wonder, what is the product of your production plants?
 
@Denny39, I don’t know that I would consider my recovery status as a “fairytale come true” as it was always my expectation that my recovery would get me back to my pre-op functionality and more with no pain. I purposely had my PKR when I did as I didn’t want to wait till things were so bad that I had significant limitations to my capabilities. In some aspects recovery took a bit longer than I thought (ie ITB issues), while others were exactly as I expected.

Regarding your question about my work, I work in the Defense sector. The two business units I support manufacture products for the Navy, Army, and Marines.
 
The fairy tale was more a reference to the desireable results rather than the process. That definitely was no fairy tale. Probably a lousy comparison.

Are you familiar with a Company called Hydraulics International, in Chatsworth, California?
 
Recent events in my personal life and what I’ve read here have given me reason to stop and reflect a bit. Doing so brought to mind the following from a dear friend:
[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
 
Very nicely said, NG! Why do we always look at the bad when there is so much good happening?
 
Just made my 1 year follow up appointment. Specifically requested that I see my OS and not just his PA. Not that I have any issues, but want to see “the man” himself. Apparently he has limited in-office hours, so I have to wait until the first week of May (my surgery was April 16).

Before I had my PKR, I was asked to participate in a voluntary study of knee and hip replacement patients (Michigan Arthroplasty Registry Collaborative Quality Initiative or MARCQI for short). As part of the study, I have to complete surveys prior to surgery, 3 months PO, and 1, 2, 5, and 10 years PO. Just completed the 1 year survey. Felt good to be able to say I have no pain and can accomplish all activities with no issues at all. I just pray those responses remain the same for the out years. Right now, I expect they will, but only God knows for sure.
 
All good, @NavyGunns .
Here in NZ, we have a joint register and I have to fill in survey forms for both my knee replacements, in similar time frames.
 
Just a little over 11 months post-op. Today was another big milestone test. Next week will be even bigger.

I’m in NYC for a corporate recognition event. Spent the day with my team doing site-seeing around the World Trade Center Memorial. What an emotional and heart wrenching experience! Two of my team are former or reservist military and our company works in defense, so the impact of 9/11 hits very close to home.

Most of the day was spent walking and standing on concrete. Absolutely no pain or stiffness or any other complaints from my knee. Never would have been able to do this prior to my PKR without significant pain afterwards.

Next week is cruise week with extended family, including three 20 some year old nieces who intend to keep me busy. Can’t wait for the challenge!
 
@NavyGunns Thank you for sharing your update and the excellent outcome so far.
Please pass along my personal gratefulness and gratitude to those at your event that aid in the fight to protect us every day!:thumb:
 
that is fantastic. i'm also happy with my replacement, coming up on 2 years post op. continued good health to you.
 
Hey fellow BoneSmarties! Finally got back home from my 7 day cruise with extended family. Drive home was brutal. Day 1 from Tampa to Knoxville should have taken about 9 hours, instead took 12.5 due to traffic. Day 2 from Knoxville to home should have been less than 8, but took almost 9.5, same issue. Ugh!

On the good side, my PKR performed wonderfully during my two excursions. Day 1 was a visit to some Mayan ruins in Costa Maya, Mexico. Climbed three different pyramids. The first was the hardest, over 75 steps, the last third of which was almost vertical. All the steps were twice as tall as normal steps and were also very slippery. Made it to the top of all three just as quickly as my 30 something son in law.

Day 2 was a tubing adventure through an underground river which meant climbing down into and out of the cave system while carrying our tubes.

No pain, no swelling, no problems with aches during the night, except for muscles I haven’t used like that in a long time.

Posting some pics from the Mayan ruins.

[Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out. [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out. [Bonesmart.org] PKR Success - 1 yr out.
 
wow, you climbed all the way to the top!? that's amazing. i tried climbing up the pyramid at Coba but only got around 15 steps up. good for you. just before my tkr i climbed down 100 steps (and up again) to swim in a cenote. however, there was a railing and the steps were pretty even and shallow. good for you. glad you had a good vacation and your knees held up. too bad about the driving and traffic.
 
NG, it sounds like you had a great time and your knee did fantastic! Those traffic jams are a royal pain. I know you're glad to be out of them!
 

Staff online

Back
Top Bottom