Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Your quad finally eased up! What fantastic news! Now, there's no stopping you now! I bet that ROM will increase with no problem now! I bet you're jumping up and down mentally!
 
Thanks everyone! I am rather excited, but trying to keep a lid on it; hah!
 
Descents are definitely tougher than ascents! I still have some of that tourniquet feeling above my knee and tightness in my calf muscles but I am hoping that diminishes with time!
So happy for your progress @Pheebs52 !!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That is a great story. He probably was hoping that you were a bucket of tears as well. I think it's tougher on guys in some ways as they are expected to be stoic and this is a real :censored: of a surgery (except for 80 year olds with no muscles - HA!). He was probably glad to be able to confide in you. So glad we have BS to vent to . . .
 
I agree that it was great that your landscaper confided in you. He probably wouldn't admit it to anyone else. He knew you would understand.
 
@Pheebs52 maybe your landscaper had the same reaction to Percocet that I did. I've never cried like I did when I was on that drug!!

Great news about the tight band feeling. Now to ward that feeling away permanently! It's just the little things in life that mean so much to us in our recovery! A shower, a bath, putting on your underwear, socks,shoes. A Bath! The pool, and on and on it goes...:happydance::yay::loveshwr::spin:
 
Becky, I never thought of that! Maybe that is what happened to him, although I think he was truly shocked at the enormous pain-level post op. I don't think he'd ever had any surgery before this, so this was certainly not a good introduction to the miracles of modern surgery; pffft!

Kmak81230 and Sistersinhim, brilliant insight! You may very well be right about Clifton. I hadn't thought of that aspect, but could tell he really wanted to share that particular piece of info and did not want his workmate to hear a word of it. Poor guy! Crud, I wished I had realized this and told him instead that I cried buckets of tears. I certainly wanted to, but it just didn't happen for whatever reason. I think I just tend to vent in other ways. And yes, many men do still live under that stern, forbidding code of stoicism, don't they?
 
that was a cute story about your landscaper (btw ours is also from jamaica ~ real genuine lovely guy). my next door neighbour stopped to ask me how i was after i got home from physio and told me about her friend that had her 2nd knee replacement last year. it was her right knee. she was driving at the 3 week mark, had some physio but was so well healed with good r.o.m. she didn't need to go anymore and she could walk just fine, could out-walk my neighbour who has back issues, and then she told me her sister-in-law had a hip replacement and a year later rode a bike with a group of fellow hip replacement friends all the way from Orillia to Montreal, stopping to stay in hotels overnight. these were people same age as us~in their 60's! my neighbour was actually very empathetic to my issues, wasn't trying to make me feel bad or anything, just amazed at how some people heal faster and better than others.
 
I just had to laugh @liam2015 - your empathetic neighbor reminding us again of those recovery rock stars out there. I like to think that us "slow benders" and "slow straighteners" are a greater source of comfort to all who are worried about their recovery - much as I continually refer to the charts of @Campervan and others who more closely resemble my "scenic" recovery.
 
I find that so hard to believe! Some people love to embellish the truth a little bit. I think they think they are spurring us on, when it's the opposite happening.
 
I've gotten the comments about progress depending on pain tolerance, too--will write more about that in my update on my thread. :blackcloud:

@Pheebs52 - Thanks for your explanation about sand walking. If I do it, I'll be very careful. I have had difficulties with my quads too.

Re my "studio": I would be thrilled to have you take up residence in a corner! I really wish I could find a buddy or two with whom to paint or sketch. If you are ever out this way... :egypdance: :cheers:
 
It's a date then Polkadot! Of course, it might take me a year to be that *travel-worthy*, lol!

I just have to laugh @liam2015. I mean, seriously, who ARE these people and why have we never met any of them in real life? Hmmm....:scratch: I certainly haven't. Personally, I think Sasquatch and Nessie have more credibility.:snork:

@kmak81230, I must look at Campervan's stats at least once a week. She's my recovery idol! She, and others who've gone before us and shared their long, slow, inflexible stories have provided me with more hope than "The Good Ship Lollipop." And the *rockstars* we have here? They're *real*, with relatable achievements that don't test the limits of the imagination. They give us something to anticipate and inspire us. The feats they can perform well before us are *normal*, as opposed to these bungee-jumping, Tour de France types at 2 weeks post-op phantoms. I think it's incredibly important to keep things *real* in recovery land, especially expectations.

Maybe the next time one of us is confronted with a phantom, *rockstar* recovery story, we should respond with a UFO story that takes place in our own backyards. :whistle:
 
@sistersinhim speaking of X-Files, we stayed in the house that was used for Dana Skully's apartment when we visited Vancouver, B.C. It was divided into rental units and they used that to promote; of course we couldn't resist. i didn't meet any of those fast benders though lol!
 
Well, it's not completely gone @knit2dog, but it is diminished, and what's left is much more comfortable and somehow pliable. It's a big advance!

This morning, I woke with major zingers in the dead-zone and shinitis! This is a real mystery, since I didn't do anything yesterday but ADL's; hah! I think the knees are capricious and just like to keep us guessing. *Whatever*, I'll just go with the weird recovery flow....:whistle:
 
I think somethings we just sleep on the knees wrong. Even now, I can be awakened at night with pain in my knee and have to move it to another position and then I'm OK.
 
Awe! I'm caught up! A couple of brief comments -
I think you're going to end up with more flexion than either the PT or OS is mentioning (just my opinion). I remember being stuck at 105 for nearly a month and then all of a sudden I felt as though I could feel the implant getting more bend daily. Those days are coming for you as well. With as well as you're getting about, it's bound to happen

Time your store stops in the correct order so that you always end up at one with some type of furnishings. Love your recliner by the way

No water (pool) until the places where he pulled out your stitches heal - hope your OS told you that. :)

Just this week - I have gone down my stairs in the morning with the least amount of discomfort so far. Just takes lots of patience (I'm approaching 7 months of healing/patience.

PS - when visiting the OS, I make sure to keep moving my leg/joint until he walks in - no more sitting in one position while waiting on the doctor - learned that on my first visit. Stiffness!!

Hope you're having a great day!
 
Back
Top Bottom