TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@Pheebs52, yea you have had great news while I've been gone for a few days. I know what you mean about a different "feel" to the knee. That happened on my left and that was my turning point. I thought it happened on the right but she remains rather contrary! You go girl, great bendy news. I've been trying to read all the news on everyone. I missed all the pouty faces and I must say I'm glad! I might have been tempted to join the pics, hee hee. :heehee:
 
@becticu, (((Becky))) I'm really sorry you missed out on our Group Pout, so we'll have to hold another one in the social area where more people can show "The Real Faces of Recovery!" LOL!

Did you happen to read what my OS said yesterday about MUA? I think you'd find his perspective helpful in making your own decision if you haven't made one already. The man is brilliant and seems to think of everything as it pertains to a particular patient; no generalizations, and I so appreciate that.

A turning point, eh? Funny, the OS used that exact phrase yesterday.:SUNsmile: I'm not sure I believe in it just yet, but I do feel it's a distinct possibility now. It will be interesting to see if I do become bendier over the next few weeks, and if so, how much. I have no particular expectations, so I'm ok with whatever happens. :flwrysmile:
 
Pheebs, you're last measured bend was 104. There's no reason to even consider a MUA. You're just getting started! It's only gonna get better!
 
I hope you're right @sistersinhim, as does the surgeon! He would much prefer I just progress naturally, but he does want to see progression. I'm just a bit skeptical as to how much further it might improve. BTW, that fabulous 104 degree measurement was not taken with a prone heel-slide, but with the knee into chest type move. The heel-slide measurement was at 90 degrees.
 
Pheebs, a bend is a bend is a bend - no matter how it's measured. Your bend is 104. It's very difficult to get a good bend doing a heel slide on the bed - a waste of time IMHO. I barely got 90 degrees when measured that way (you can't bend much further without lifting your foot), but my bend when sitting on a chair is somewhere between 125 and 130.

Of course your ROM is going to continue to improve. It's only just over 2 months since your surgery and ROM can continue to improve for a year, or much longer, after a TKR. There's no magic deadline for improving ROM.
I've posted this before, but here it is again, just as an illustration:

"This is what one of our members wrote about the slow development of her ROM. (Thank you, @Campervan ) As you can see, her flexion continued to improve for a long time.

"I had a slow recovery. Here's my flex measurements at various points:
92 - 8 weeks post op
105 - 10 weeks
107 - 5 months
110 - 6 months
112 - 7 months
116 - 9 months
119 - 11 months
118 - 1 yr
120 - 1yr 2 months
"125 - 1 yr 8 months"
 
@Pheebs52
Looking back, I have discovered that I did not congratulate you on passing a new milestone - heck, passing isn't the right word for it- shattering!
104 !
One hundred and four !!!
2 * 4 * 13 !!!
Fantastic ! Geweldig (fantastic in Flemish)
Great going Pheebs. On the down side, you might have to give up your chairwoman ship of the Slow Benders Club ?!


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Celle, I have a feeling I may just slowly follow in Campervan's footsteps, and that's ok. In fact, she may be my TKR idol.:heehee:

I certainly feel "A bend, is a bend, is a bend," yet, the PT continues to record the blasted, prone heel-slide measurement as the *real* deal. Protocol, he says. Like you, I also do much better with a sitting heel-slide, but...he doesn't even ask me to perform that one. I suppose I should just let go of all this number nonsense and for the most part, I have. I tend to think of all I can do instead, and it's a lot as just 9 weeks post-op. Really, it's more than I expected. The two factors that lead to some frustration and negative, number awareness are cycling (can't do it yet) and going down the stairs foot-over-foot. Right now, it's difficult for me to envision a future where I'll be able to do those two things, so I have to take it as a matter of faith. On some level, I know it will come, but....when? From that point, the thoughts become anxious, so I try to avoid that entire line of thinking.

@nensi, I'll be thrilled to hand over the "Slow-Benders," leadership Crown, but not until I reach the coveted 110 degrees, lol.
 
Totally agree with you on pursuing that line of thinking about stairs etc and if I will ever have enough bend to bicycle. I've decided that I need to keep my tunnel vision on the good things so far and not look so far ahead. It's those blasted PT/OS that measure that cause the anxious feelings to start up again. I cannot wait to have the OS sign off on me so that I can just start living my life again :happydance:
 
Interestingly @dvannie, my OS was less concerned about *numbers* than my PT. He doesn't even measure; just eyeballs, and performs some knee maneuvers. He watched me walk and how I stood up and sat down. He asked me how I felt about my progression and assured me the other things would come in time. But...he does want to see more progress in 5 weeks. I'm just not clear on how much more he'd like to see. For instance, I don't know if he'd be satisfied with the above listed, Campervans' slow progression. Right now, I am basically where she was at 10 weeks, and I'll be 10 weeks on Monday. However, it took her almost 3 more months to gain just another 2 degrees. I don't even know how I'd feel about that, never mind the surgeon, lol, but I do admire her patience! The PT's do have to justify their work to the insurance companies, or they won't get paid, so I guess that's why they are so number-focused. Yes, it will be a great relief when we don't even subconsciously dwell on numbers anymore, eh? Optimistically, I think you'll be discharged from PT very soon, at least I hope so!
 
@Pheebs52 way to go! Great accomplishments. I am off to PT today Don't know if he will measure or not but I don't know that I have made much progress! The thing I am happy about is the ADL's are getting easier so daily life is getting more palatable. Yesterday the theatre. Tomorrow who knows? The positives are that I am not completely daunted by every trip and every task. Still trying to work on my patience though. That little red box under the bed is getting rusty and soiled lol!
 
You hit the nail on the head! The numbers are for the insurance companies. The OS who is interested in what you can accomplish is one who values quality of life, not just the numbers which are subjective anyway. I'm 2 yrs out on #1 and continue to see changes in it! Having to step up after #2 surgery has demanded more of it and thus increased mobility yet again. I believe that is why I am far ahead of the first surgery. Having a fully functioning knee for back up has made a world of difference in this recovery.

Focus on ahievements, not numbers. It's all about improved quality of life.
 
Shall I send you a shiny, new Red Box @Canada35? I have more in my garage, lol!

I'm with you all the way on enjoying just how much easier EVERYTHING is these days! Yesterday, when I went food shopping (alone!) I was able to bend enough to see the items on the bottom shelf; whoohoo! I didn't feel achy or even tired after spending about 45 minutes in there; huzzah! I probably went up and down my 13 steps at least 5x yesterday, so, that's 26x5 and I was none the worse for the wear. I didn't even have a nap, and now, when I think of it, haven't had a little daytime snooze for... awhile. Not that I'm averse to taking one, but it just hasn't happened.:heehee:

Is there anything in particular for you that eats at your patience? Let's have a hissy-fit! :hissy: I'm sure we're all different on that score. For me, it's really the :censored:stairs! Why? For one, there's so many and they can't be avoided several times a day. I cannot do laundry, watch TV or go out of the house without going down them invalid style. Doing them this way aggravates my bionic hip and lower back. If that weren't the case, perhaps I'd feel differently, but, that's the reality here.
 
Spot-on Helen! I really do my level best to keep my focus on all the positives, and there are many! My OS is not only a gifted surgeon, but a kind, compassionate, wonderful human being. He's actually had a TKR, so has great empathy for all our challenges and quality of life is at the top of his list. I'm really blessed to have him.:SUNsmile:

I see you waited an entire year for Knee#2 and that's exactly what I'd like to do, provided nothing goes wrong with the natural knee over the next year that will force the issue. I am crossing my fingers and knocking on wood on that score.:fingersx: Righty, the natural knee, has sure been under a lot of stress since my TKR, but I am finally seeing a positive difference as Lefty takes over more duties. Righty is feeling less pressure and less discomfort as Lefty gets stronger, but...she has been rather vocal in the crepitus department recently; pffft!
 
@Thesoutherncook, Helen, can you share how living in a mountainous region has impacted (or not) your recovery with both knees? I ask because we live in an area of rolling terrain right now, interspersed with flat coastal sections. However, we plan on moving within a year, most likely to an actual mountainous area. Hopefully, I won't need to replace Righty until after the move! This time, initially, of course, I found the little hills tough, especially my own steep driveway, but it's become much easier recently. I guess I'm just wondering if I am crazy to even consider a mountainous area, lol.
 
Good morning Pheebs. I think at 9 weeks I was going down the stairs backwards to the delight and entertainment of my colleagues at work (thank you very much!) and now just two weeks later I am going down most stairs foot over foot using the railing - with good form. Some sets of stairs on some days are a no go - height of stair, extra stiffness in my knee, etc. You will get there!! I expect you will be able to pedal very soon as well - that will be a milestone as it will allow you to get a good stretch without weight bearing. My frustrations lately are the lack of progress in extension which is more important to my OS (and to me for walking purposes) and continuing niggling pains when walking. The discomfort for me has moved from the lateral to the medial side of the knee. I know I'm still healing but I'm getting impatient. :tantrum2:
 
I should have also noted that the going down stairs does provide a noticeable stretch that I no longer notice going upstairs.
 
ADLs are certainly easier now! Just standing and cooking, doing light housework, driving and running errands, are all a piece of cake. The stairs, not so much. They still challenge me a little, though are ever so much easier than before. I don't do them without thought, though. I check my form and feel some slight discomfort. Nothing compared to what it was before, though.

What eats my patience is sleeping. I have yet to sleep through the night on my side. I always have to wake up and grab my Lounge Doctor so I can sleep on my back. My stints on my side are getting longer, though. Maybe one of these days...
 
@Pheebs52, you know you are the boss at PT, don't you? Tell him/her that from now on, you will measure while sitting, not laying down. We don't walk while laying down! It's all the numbers game. He wants the lower numbers to justify keeping you coming as long as your insurance pays. What a shame so many PT are based on that and not what the patient can do.

You are doing great and need you get your mind off of that ROM number. Your extension is 0. Do you know how hard a lot of us had getting that down! Count yourself blessed. You can do what you need to do already. More will come when you least expect it. Please stop stressing over it!
 
:tantrum2::tantrum2::tantrum2:....any more tantrums that eat into patience? Surely there must be some, hahahaha!

Kmak81230, I'd love to pedal....yesterday. And today. Harumph! :tantrum2:What are you doing to improve extension? That back of knee pain is dreadful; aarrgghh! Though I've had good extension from the beginning, I did have a Bakers Cyst there for months before the surgery and for about 3-4 weeks post-surgically, so I know the feeling; ugh! Like you, I can walk down *normal-style* on very shallow stairs if it's a short flight, but in general, no can do...yet. I've even tried to practice on just 2-3 steps indoors, but...nope. OS told me the other day to just stop trying, so I am honoring that for now. He says it'll just come naturally "One Fine Day," and I'm sure he's right from everything I've read. I just hope that day isn't 10 months from now.:tantrum2:

Susie, I can really feel your aggro with the side-sleeping business.:tantrum2: I prefer to sleep on my right side and my Lefty TKR really, really disliked that the first few weeks. I have been sleeping this way since around Week 4 and it has improved quite a bit, but it's not *perfect* yet. Of course, I can lie on my left side with less problem, but, I don't wanna, lol. It just feels odd, 'cuz it's not what I've been doing for 60 some odd years. Some nights are definitely more knee-comfy than others, but I am very fortunate to sleep through the night 95% of the time. I'm sure with a Bi-Lat, side sleeping just has to be more tricky, but I'm also fairly certain it will come. Hopefully, very soon!
 
Paula, yes I know who's Boss and so does he; hah! I'm going to tell him this afternoon "No More Numbers," for the next 5 weeks. He can tell me on my last visit. I've requested that before and he went along with me. In the interim, I don't care what number I may be...because...I can go food shopping alone! I can pick Miss Pheebs up off the floor! I can do my back and hip stretches that are so desperately needed! I can...stand in a check-out line and sit in the surgeon's waiting room for a solid hour with feet on the floor; ok, I didn't love it, but still, pretty good, right? So....I don't need no stinkin' numbers, lol. At least not for 5 more weeks.:happydance:
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom