TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Good grief - I totally missed your post where you sailed on by the holy grail and into triple digits my twin! :spin::dancy::yay:. Such a relief that must be. Slow or not, you're making progress - and doing it the mostly pain-free way.
 
Such differences in measurements in different positions--just confirms that this is all so relative and as has been said on here, the important thing is what we can do day by day.
 
Well Smarties, I had a great visit with the nicest surgeon in New England, lol! He was truly pleased with my progress AND said he thinks I may have *turned a corner* because my flexion went up 5 degrees since last Wednesday. We talked about how I feel (not bad, just stiff & wonky) what I can/can't do (no walking downstairs *normal-style* yet, no bike yet, no knee to nose yet) and he was not concerned. He said walking downstairs is most often the last improvement to come, I'm super close to being able to ride the bike, and I may never be able to put my knee into my nose, but...that's ok, lol. He loved the term "Wonky!"

@Celle (and any other advisors who stated the same) he was in absolute agreement with you regarding how to walk down stairs. It definitely should not be forced, no weird positioning used to achieve it (who me?) and only done with good form. He's a stickler for good form with everything.

He thought my relaxed attitude about recovery in general was great and stressed just how important it is to be patient. The hated "P" word just always pops up, eh? Of course, I credited Bonesmart for much of it! If, in 4-5 weeks I am not progressing beyond 90 degrees flexion, we can *discuss* an MUA, but he really hopes I'll get there on my own and feels I have a fair chance. According to him, many patients have huge improvements between 9-15 weeks, so, I'm in good company.:SUNsmile: Just because most of you are light-years ahead in the bendy department means absolutely nothing...so there, all you uber-bendy- Smartie pants, lol! Instead, he was really jazzed about my *sterling* zero extension, as am I. :giggle:

He did say if I were still working and needed to be there full time, standing or sitting at a desk, he'd advise me to go for the MUA. He also said if my flexion was stuck around 50-70 degrees at this point in time (9 weeks) he'd recommend it. But, in my case, (retired, 90 degrees and moving forward) he just wants to see what develops. Works for me!

We talked about swimming and he reiterated the "No walking on sand/no going in ocean mantra," this year. Pool is ok. I'm cool with a pool for this year! I just have to find a new one because my old gym just closed; pffft!

He removed 2 of my protruding sutures and dang, that hurt! 'Twas bloody as well! He left the other 2 alone because he said they were close to coming out on their own and told me not to bother covering them with band-aids. He said my incision looks great and is healing well despite some bruising still there; yahoo!

As luck would have it, I sat in the waiting room next to a man who was probably close to 80 years of age and had obviously had a TKR. We struck up a conversation and he told me he was 3 weeks post-op with....*drum-roll* a bend of 110 degrees! When I gave him my stats and weeks, he gave me the look of pity and an "Oh dear, poor you," face. Naturally, I took an instant dislike to him, hahahaha! I related this conversation to my surgeon and he said, "The older you are the easier the recovery. Less muscle tissue=less pain, swelling, and more flexion sooner. An older nervous system also transmits less pain." Interesting, right?

One last thing: He offered a cortisone injection for my natural knee, 'cuz I made it clear it was bothering me more lately and I've no wish for another TKR this year. I declined it because they've just never really worked for me before. He asked what I was using for pain relief and I told him Tylenol, but he gave me one more Rx for Oxycodone, "just in case," since I have 5 more weeks of PT and now, a sometimes painful natural knee. How lucky am I? Very! :happydance:How cool is he? The coolest!:cool:
 
9 weeks post-surgery, I FINALLY crossed the Rubicon into 90 degrees flexion with a prone heel-slide!:wow: That said, it doesn't feel one bit different than it did last Friday at 88 degrees. Still, nice to be able to have it in my official report to the OS tomorrow, eh? In a different position, I got it over 100 degrees, I think about 104.
I bet your PT measures when you're lying on the couch. That's a hopeless way of getting a bend - much better to do it when you're sitting on a chair. As sistersinhim said, if your knee bends better another way, that's the number you should count. So ask to be measured that way every time.

I read in another of your posts that PT won't discharge you till you reach 120 flexion and you think you'll be going for ever. Remember that you're the boss. You can stop going whenever you like. You've been going long enough to know the exercises - and you don't need many of those anyway. If you want to go once every couple of weeks, to be measured, then choose that option. You'll know for yourself that your flexion is improving and function is more important than the numbers anyway. (I do believe we've had that conversation already! :heehee: )
 
You DO have an amazing surgeon. He's really invested in his patients getting good results using whatever means works best for them. And it is interesting what he had to say about older patients. Makes sense if I think about it. Still glad I had my surgery before I lost more muscle, though less pain would have been nice. Great report! Huzzah! Do something special to celebrate. (And I bet you will never see an MUA, or hear about one again.)
 
Wowza!!!! What a great report from your visit to your great OS! Great OS and great PT - how awesome is that! Sounds like you can relax and continue to make progress in the way that works best for you. That is so interesting about the aging and lack of musculature contributing to better recovery. My dad had his done in early 80s and he is pretty frail with few muscles and he had tremendous ROM - of course I was comparing (and cursing a bit under my breath) early on as I overworked - thinking I should be doing better since I was working so much harder - HA. Glad you got some of the problem sutures out - ouch! All in all, a day of celebration for you! :cheers:
 
Celle, it was the PT who stated they like to get patients to 120 degrees flexion before discharge and my thought was....well that's nice, but I don't plan on coming here for another year; hah! I just smiled at him. I will go for the rest of the 5 weeks because it's only twice a week and I basically enjoy the visits, especially the massage. He also almost always gives me some new fangled way to stretch the leg and some have been very useful. But, that's it, just 10 more visits and I'm done. It'll go by quickly.
 
I like your surgeon! He sounds like a sensible man.

I'm really pleased for you that he was happy with your progress and increase in ROM. :yes!: :happydance: :yay:

Don't go jumping into that pool until those little holes from the suture removal have healed, will you?
 
Susie, yes, he really is invested in his patients and spends a tremendous amount of time with each one. It means a long wait in his waiting room, but...it's worth it! He does see each patient and surgery as unique and tries to guide the recovery from that perspective. When it come time to do Number Two, no matter where I am living, I will have him do it if he's still in practice. As for the MUA, I think it's a 50/50 chance, but it will ultimately be my decision, based on my sense of functionality and contentment or lack thereof down the road. He did underscore the fact that it could be done at any point in time and there's no need whatsoever to rush into it in my case.

Kmak81230, I found the "Older=Less Pain and More Flexion," chat fascinating. It sounds as though it proved to be true for your father, eh? I know I've read recovery stories here from younger people who have been devoted gym-rats and are devastated to find recovery is very tough. It seems to me this theory goes quite a way toward explaining their dilemma. And yes, how lucky am I to have such a great doc and a great PT? I never even win on a scratch ticket, so this is really big, lol!
 
Thanks Celle! No, there won't be any pool jumping this pinky swear, lol. Besides, I need to find a new facility first; pffft! I loved my old pool with all the vintage people where I was the youngster; hah!
 
@Pheebs52 - been busy and just caught up on your thread.
Congratulations on your improvements! That 90 sure helps bring you up.
My OS told me the same thing about older people having an easier recovery. I was kinda peeved about that too, lol.
Don't worry about the mua, I'm positive you won't have to have one and if you do, you'll deal with it and do good.
I'll have to ask my OS about the beach, we're supposed to go in November and I will walk on the beach no matter what, lol.
About measuring the rom, they measured me laying down, but when I did walk slides they measured and it was a better number. He said they go by the laying down number because that's the standard. I told him he needed to go back to school, he thought that was funny, but I didn't!
 
Thanks @Mister! All congratulations are heartily accepted!:heehee:

As for the age business, well...I couldn't have waited until 80, could you? No? I didn't think so, lol.

Beaches: November is 4 whole months away, so my guess is it would be fine. I just won't be able to take advantage of all the lovely beaches here this summer; pffft! I know walking on sand is hard on the quads and getting bashed by big waves while standing in sand really isn't appealing right now, but darn, the weather is perfect and the beaches are all just sitting there, wondering where my sand chair is; wah! We may plan a trip to warm weather place like FL in November or December so I can get some beach time this year.....time will tell.

I'm very open-minded on the MUA. If I need it, I need it, if not, great! I think it could go either way, but I am encouraged by gaining 5 degrees of flexion in less than a week.:flwrysmile:
 
@Pheebs52 there's no way I could have or would have waited till 80!!

Hopefully, I'll be able to do the beach in November. We go to South Padre island Texas the weekend after thanksgiving, kind of gives us something to look forward to and the beaches aren't full, but the temp is still 75-80, perfect.

You ought to go somewhere warm in November or December, by then you could do it too!
 
Hi, Pheebs52,

That is super great news about your increase in flexion and all the other positive things your doctor told you! Woo hoo! Did you do anything special to celebrate yet?

So we aren't supposed to walk on sand? Does that include walking on sand with walking shoes (supportive)? Drat! I was hoping to get over to Lake Michigan this weekend for the first time this summer! I guess I could still go, and just walk up and down the boardwalk, which I can get to by sidewalk from a parking lot. It's just not nearly as beautiful and natural, though.

Congrats again!
 
Interesting about your "mule quad..." Here we are, you and I, in similar positions, ROM-wise, and I also walked on a torn meniscus for a good 6 months. Mine was "shredded," the doc said. I know I was walking with bad form! As the bone-on-bone stuff progressed, I was lucky to be ambulatory at all. I finally admitted I couldn't stand the pain any more and was given a wheeled walker and an appointment with the OS. And that, I say, is what started my journey to you all today.
 
Interesting that your Doc says no walking on sand! First time I have heard that and I am going to a cottage next weekend. The "yard" at the cottage is all lovely loose white sand and you walk down a sand dune into Lake Huron. I will have to be especially careful as I am absolutely not going to miss the weekend. This will be the 19th year for this weekend with 3 families. We started with the 6 grandparents and now we are 34 with children, their spouses and 13 grandchildren! We have had to add tents to the 5 bedrooms and a bunkie to accommodate everyone! It is such a special weekend with special people. Staying home is not an option!
 
so happy for you Pheebs52 ~ now you can relax, enjoy the remaining physio sessions and start planning a winter vacation. congratulations on your increase in r.o.m.
 
@Canada35 ~ which town are you going to on Lake Huron? i forget the name of the town where my friend's parents lived but the beach was beautiful, like the ocean, with huge waves. i think you just have to be careful walking in the sand where your foot sinks down ~ you don't want to twist your ankle. sounds like a special weekend with all your family. we hope to go to a place we rent on sandbanks beach, nearest big town, picton, ontario in the fall.
 
@Polkadot, *Sisters*, lol!

Well, wait a minute guys. As far as sand goes, it was meant specifically for me because my quad is still locked up tight. I don't know that it's universal or that it would apply to those here who are not having quad problems. Walking on sand is tougher than walking on any other surface even with normal legs/knees, because it moves, so the muscles are constantly shifting....like the sand. :SUNsmile: So, in my case, that would equal really bad *payback* after the fact, and we all know what *they* say about payback, right? Yeah, it's just not worth it to me at this point. I've had enough quad swelling, stiffness and pain and am seeking the opposite.

My surgeon feels that if I were standing in the surf, chances are great of being knocked over and hurting myself. I'm sure it wouldn't cause any permanent damage, but...it could sure ruin a vacation or weekend. So, when I find a pool, I'll get in the water and will just have to satisfy myself with that until we can take a vacation somewhere warm down the road....:whistle: I'm patient.
 
Back
Top Bottom