TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@Canada35, you are further along than I am in recovery and that certainly sounds like a very special reunion, so....just be careful!

@Mister, I've never seen the Texas beaches...maybe that's where we should go! Those are temperatures I like as well and crowd free is an extra perk in my book!
 
I must confess something: in San Francisco we took the bus to Ocean Beach as my granddaughter had never seen the ocean. This required some sand walking - probably 100 yds to the water - I walked slowly and carefully with my cane and sat in one spot for the next hour while everyone else walked the beach and played in the surf. I was quite careful and also a bit nervous - but no worse for wear afterwards- but not something I would recommend as it is more strenuous to walk in sand - particularly soft sand. Some of this sand was hard-packed which also makes a difference.
 
Your OS sounds wonderful, as does your report and as always, your attitude. You are doing great! Interesting stuff here. I have always been measured laying down on my back. I would love to try other positions to see if the measurement is better. I say the best bend should count! I also found that interesting what your OS said about older people having easier recoveries. I love my parents to pieces but it is hard when they continually tell me how much easier their recovery was than mine and I wouldn't mind sharing that tidbit in a weak moment. People never mean to stress you out with their comments but we slow benders are a little self conscious. As I was descending a flight of stairs today with the best form I could muster, a girlfriend of mine tried to encourage me by saying , "Don't forget to bend your knee!" Argh!


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think I'll be letting that tidbit slip on more than one occasion in the near future @mechellec - I expect there's another T-shirt slogan somewhere in there. I can't help but laugh at your friends encouraging words - like we haven't been obsessed with bending since we woke up from surgery :rotfl:
 
Well @mechellec, it appears your parents are telling the truth, lol! As for your friend, why not encourage her to try walking down the stairs with a tight tourniquet placed just above her knee? I'm sure she'd ace it. :heehee: Honestly, if only we could swap with some of the well-meaning but clueless friends and relatives, just for a day. For instance, my SIL, (who just happens to be a nurse,) was visiting this weekend. Just before they left on Sunday, she said, "I didn't notice you doing any exercises this weekend. Are you sure you're following your PT program at home?" My answer: " Actually, I exercised right in front of you all weekend. You just didn't recognize the particular exercises. You know, walking, bending, popping in and out of my chair more times than a Jack-In the Box." That generated a concerned and somewhat baffled look, lol. And don't you just love the "Am I sure," part? Gee, I think I'm sure, but perhaps not. Perhaps I'm demented as well as gimpy? Ah well, it's all just white noise to me.
 
don't you just love these well-meaning people that haven't actually had knee replacements? we had 8 people for dinner sunday night to celebrate my son's birthday and my son-in-law, who i love to pieces, told his parents, visiting from india, that recovery depends all upon one's pain tolerance...sigh! i chimed in "also the amount of swelling". i didn't want to get into a debate with company around. he did recommend the physio clinic to me, which a friend of his recommended that had his knee replaced, and i'm appreciative for that. i guess we just have to bite our tongues once in awhile!:skep:
 
Hahaha, yes that glow on the horizon was me @knit2tog! It really was a red-letter day!:egypdance:

Oh @liam2015, our tongues will look like Swiss Cheese before our year of recovery ends! Recovery depends on pain tolerance? That's a new one on me and I'm sure for you as well; pffft! But, a fun family dinner definitely isn't the place for that debate, eh? I think we all just need to increase the magnitude of our "Ignore Button." Crank it up to the max so all these unfortunate comments get filed away in the "circular file." Explaining is just a waste of our precious time.
 
I think we all just need to increase the magnitude of our "Ignore Button." Crank it up to the max so all these unfortunate comments get filed away in the "circular file."
Love it! As usual, you can make me smile with your good sense @Pheebs52 . I'm a worrier and sometimes the comments about my recovery not being "normal" get to me.

I also love the fact that you have such a good OS and that you are making progress on your ROM. We will all get there, right? Hooray for your good report.
 
Excellent report! Excellent OS! Excellent patient!

My surgeon told me the same thing about age and pain - but that it only really applied to the first 2 to 3 weeks (recovery from the surgery trauma). It was his way of warning me that it would be a rough start.
 
Swiss cheese tongues... oh yes! Every time I talk to my mother I puncture a new hole.

"You're doing your exercises?" She is 900 miles away. "Your knee will freeze if you don't do all your PT exactly as they say!"

"You betcha, Mom!" I am no longer doing PT.

"You have to ride your bike every day," she instructs.

"I do," I lie. "And I walk at least a mile a day."

"Walking is easy. You have to do the exercises. They hurt, but then your knee won't freeze."

"I'm thinking of moving to Florida."
 
@phrog, I'm more than a bit hearing impaired and let me tell you, there are some real advantages.:snork: But, yes, we all just need to let these well-meaning but foolish comments roll off our backs. What would a duck do? Maybe we should all practice *quacking* when these annoying comments occur? I think it's a valid response. For what it's worth, the Ignore Button is located right between your eyes. Just press once, but firmly for about a minute.:loll:

@Susie, why am I reminded of Jerry Seinfeld's mother? I am.:heehee:

Thanks @JennyLynne! Aha, so the elderly get the good deal at the very beginning, just when everything is at it's absolute worst, lol! I suppose in a way, they've earned it, eh?
 
My knee feels most peculiar this morning! Not painful, not stiff....perhaps, dare I say, "looser?" The OS did *play* with it quite a bit yesterday so I'm sure there's a direct link. While there, I was actually able to bend it back underneath the exam table a bit, and that's a first. At any rate, I *think* it's wonky in a good way, not the typically stiff version. :whistle:
 
It's funny, on the subject of well meaning advice, my OS was mentioning that after my MUA that I would need aggressive physiotherapy, no matter the pain to make sure this procedure was a success. All I did was give him a look, asked him if he had ever experienced aggressive physio and to my surprise he looked pretty sheepish, admitted that he had not and then finally agreed that physio was not a one size fits all :tada:
 
My dad had a tkr done at age 82 and his recovery was the easiest I've seen. Before my infection everyone was touting "like father like daughter", of course it didn't last. He is the one person who will say his THR was harder than TKR.
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom