TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

@IowaNana, I'm thrilled to not be alone in the *Even the sheet can bother me," department! That said, I wish you'd had a more restful night. Hopefully tonight things will feel less sensitive, eh?
 
Then there was the l-o-n-g walk down a hallway to his office. Did I say it was a very lengthy hallway? Had to be at least a mile or five.:yes: Tiring though it was (to the entire body, not just the leg) my back was so pleased to be in a much better posture than the Quasimodo style hunch I can't seem to shake on the walker. Straight=good!
Yeah, my doc had a long hallway too--at least it seemed so for the first visit or two. But it got shorter over time. :heehee: I came home and took a nap after getting my staples out.
 
GREAT news on the sleep! I too was exhausted and slept straight through from midnight to 7 am on one and a half 5 mg Percocet. For the first time I slept on the couch instead of the recliner but used the lounge dr pillow and was super comfy! As for. Your journey on crutches, color me super impressed!
 
@keefsmom, I just knew you were sleeping well; huzzah! Congrats on graduating to the couch and 7 solid hours of beauty rest. :cheers2:As for the crutches, honestly, I think they are easier in some ways than the walker. More tiring but much less awkward in my opinion. Great for small spaces and cornering.:happydance:
 
You go girl! I haven't learned the crutches enough to be comfortable with them. I was always told to use the walker then go to a cane. You have given me the drive to try my crutches again. If you can do them, I can, too!
 
The l-o-n-g hallway that the nurse seems to sprint down, leaving a TKR in her wake. I remember being happy I could get up out of the chair, but then had to follow a sprinter down the hall! :running:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@sistersinhim, yes, you can! The primary thing is to get the crutches at the right height and not to lean on them with your armpits. Mine just reach the upper, armpit level. I think you'll find after a few practice runs (hah!) they provide more stability than a cane and are much more back-friendly than a walker. My gait also seems to be more natural with crutches and that makes my feet happier.

@KarriB, what's up with those medical office sprinters? They're everywhere! I love the "Just follow me," command. Well, I would if I could see you; hahaha!
 
Yeah, those uphill climbs can be exhausting at first. Glad you did not become one with the tar.

Good going on the sleeping, too. I have good nights and bad nights still, but not nearly as bad as you were having. Hope you can put those sleepless nights behind you.

And hooray for the crutches! I went to a cane and find it ever so liberating. That walker was a medieval torture device. At least now I can carry something when I walk.
 
@SusieShoes, I suspect I'd still be on the tar if the heavens hadn't opened up, lol! Buckets of rain were a great incentive to hustle!

Like you, I can use the cane, but find it aggravates my back. I think it's because I have to hold it in my right hand and I have back problems and a bionic hip on the right side, so it makes me scrunch those muscles in an uncomfortable way. With the crutches, I seem to be more equally balanced and still get the benefit of standing up straight.

So many here seem to have sleep issues well into recovery, eh? This makes me grateful for every semi-decent night I get. I just wish I could get them in my bed with hubby and the *furs!* On some nights, my Pug joins me, but my terrier always stays with *Dad*! Apparently, we can't always get what we want, but we get what we need for the most part. I know my night will come....eventually, when this dastardly thigh stops throbbing.
 
Yes, Pheebs, that thigh throbbing will soon be a distant memory!

In the winter time I have to fight to find a place on my bed. My kitties love my electric blanket and sometimes I had as many as 6 with me! It made for hard turning over, though!
 
@sistersinhim , promise? I sure hope so. Actually, I think it may have diminished a bit last night!

I love your furry story.:kitty:
 
What is it about Dr's offices and the long walk? When I went to the joint replacement class at the hospital, it was in the lower level, way in the back. All I could think was - really? You are having people who need a knee or hip replacement walk this far? Was that some type of test?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Day 16: A Space Odyssey!

Good morning Smarties! Last night, Mistah and I sat at the dinner table a bit longer than usual because the meal was so good and my leg could tolerate it a bit more. I'd say we were there for about 40 minutes. When my knee declared it was sofa time, I reached over to my right for my walker, but....it wasn't there. Hmmm, did I use the crutches to get from the living room to dining room? A quick scan of my surroundings said no. At this point, I must have developed a slightly fretful look on my face because Mistah asked what was wrong. I said "Where is my walker? After gazing around the room, his reply was, "Yes, where is it? Wait a minute, how did you get in here?" Me, scratching head, still looking baffled, said with all sincerity, "I don't know." At this point, Mistah left the table in search of the mysteriously, vanished walker. Ina few minutes, he came back into the dining room armed with my walker and pronounced it found in the bathroom, a fair distance from the dining room. So, was I beamed into the dining room Star Trek style or do I have drug-induced amnesia? You decide, for I cannot.:heehee:

Next item under Medical Mysteries: How can my leg itch in a place that is totally numb? It does! Never a dull moment here on The Far Side!
 
@IowaNana , I ahd a dual experience at my hospital. Not only was the class function room far, far away from the main entrance, it was DOWNSTAIRS! On my class day, the closest elevator was non-functional! They really need to up their game with these details, don't they?
 
Congrats on forgetting the walker. That's a good sign, even though you still really need it.

Yes, I remember the numb spot itching. Weird.
 
And what's funny about that numb itchy place, was when I scratched it, it quit itching, even though I couldn't feel it!
 
@kneeper, I didn't just forget the walker though, I forgot how I arrive at the dining room table, lol!

Oh good, others (of course) have had the itchy, numb spot as well!

@sistersinhim, yes, when I scratch it ( and can't feel it) it does stop, hah!
 
Isn't that the craziest thing?! I wonder if it's psychosomatic! Who cares. It works!
 
Your brain might still have a few gaps it needs to bridge, like occasionally forgetting key details of your day, but when you're off painkillers that will slowly straighten out. At least, my brain is getting better at remembering how I got places and what I wanted to do. It's still not up to complex juggling of information, but it is getting more reliable again.

Congrats on forgetting the walker, though. Your body can trust it's new knees, though it's early days and you should still use those crutches. I've been forgetting my cane a lot in the kitchen and bedroom. Or maybe it's just sheer laziness... oh heck, easier to just walk that couple of steps to the fridge or pantry... still, it feels almost okay. I guess when it feels okay, it will be okay. Onward!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom