Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Ps @Polkadot - what a great update. You and @Pheebs52 doing 40# on one leg - awesome! I've been at 10# with two for a couple of weeks now. Perhaps now that my quad is cooperating I can increase a bit. I've been focusing more on these wimpy arms. I hope you find the maintenance program beneficial.
 
@jboles, thank you! You know what a struggle it's been for me to remain patient in reaching this point; phew! And hey, isn't it great not to use your bike as a clothes rack anymore? LOL! That's what my eliptical has been for over a year and I'm hoping to dust it off soon.

@Polkadot, LOL, yes, that's me, the *over-achiever*....just, ya know, slowed down a bit; hah! Oh gosh, I hope they don't take that machine away from me too soon, I really like it! I suspect that has something to do with being able to succeed with it, but not certain....must ponder.:scratch:

I'm really glad you've decided to join that Maintenance Program. I wish Gary offered something like that but, as far as I know, he doesn't. His is a really small practice and they are always out straight, so that might be why. I know what you mean about the lure of those shiny machines, lol. I have not joined a gym as yet, but may do so next month.

@Josephine, fair enough on your explanation of flexion standards. Of course it's individual, as is everything about this recovery. However, my PT wasn't telling me I'd never exceed 120 degrees, only that he, and most therapists here, will typically discharge a patient once they reach that number if all other indicators such as gait, strength and balance are in line.

As to the snark, well, thankfully, I have rather thick skin, but still, am not overly fond of a public bashing, most especially when there really wasn't any cause in the first place. I'm sure you can understand that, eh?

@kmak81230, ditto! Your PT and mine, probably 2 of the best in the country, are on the same page, as are we; hah!:whistle:
 
@Pheebs52 RE: gold standard. What I understood you to say is that here OSs and PTs often hold 120 degrees as the goal to achieve before they'll discharge the patient and see anything else as gravy--it's the magic ROM #.
 
Yea, you, Pheebs! I'm glad your ROM is "getting there" and your strength increasing. The combination of the two, I think, it the trick to doing what we want to do. My ROM has been excellent from two weeks on - and my strength less so. My goal is for the two to come together in a perfect harmony of push, pull and bend. Applause for your gumption, good humor and hard work.
 
I was discharged at 109 and got much farther a year post op, so every knee is different. My PTs were/are part of my OS offices and wouldn't think of using weights until 4-5 months post op. When I was 4-5 months post op they had me begin working on strength exercises, but nothing has helped me with strength as much as simple walking.
 
Thanks @phrog! Wherever *there* may be , right? I also love the idea of everything working together to create a harmonious knee. That's a really soothing thought process with green imagery for me. :SUNsmile:

@KarriB, I'm sure your therapists were extraordinarily careful given all that you'd been through with the infection. You certainly had a rougher go of it than many here and yet, you came out on top! Right now, I prefer walking to any other exercise, but that's because I haven't found the right pool yet; aarggh!
 
They were careful and I lost quite a bit of strength being off my leg for nearly two months, but they told me 4-5 months was their policy because training with weights early was too much strain on a new knee and the soft tissue. My PT did have me do some walking on their treadmill for gait practice. Before my infection I went to a different pt group that had me and others using resistance bands at 2 weeks. Not a good idea at all.
 
My OS instructed me to avoid weights, resistance bands or strength training machines. Then I went to outpatient PT and what did they want me to use... leg press and weights. I refused and that was that. Walking has been my best exercise, that and doing stairs. I feel I could do leg presses now if I want to, but don't see any need. I plan to be swimming again soon and that is a great exercise for leg strength. :swim:
 
@Jockette, would you like the large, economy size or perhaps you'd be interested in the monthly subscription service, where refills are automatic? I can do either, so just say the word! I can certainly see why this has all gotten *old* for you, especially if you were led to believe it would be a quick recovery. I don't know, but strongly suspect the healing time frame is the same as it is for a tkr, meaning a full year. So, look on the bright side...you're halfway there! You really are even if it doesn't always seem so. Try to keep your focus on all the things you can do now versus what you could do before your surgery; it helps!

@SusieShoes, the only strength training I have done to date is the leg-press and that wasn't until about 3 weeks ago. No bands, no other weight stuff, just the leg press. In my case, I think it's doing double duty for the weak hip/back and glutes. My knee seems to really like it, in fact, I'd say it's almost *fun* and I can't believe I'm saying that, since I've never been a *gym-rat.* My knee would not have liked it one bit during the first 12 weeks and there, I think is the crux of the matter; timing.
 
Ive been happy with the resistance (exercise bike after many weeks pedaling at 0), judiciously-used weights (leg press, wall slides with weight added after weeks of doing under own power), and a few band exercises (swinging leg suspended from band, a few crab walks) at PT, but I think that's because they took it slowly and cautiously and had me report how each movement felt. The only thing I had to monitor was the therapist's enthusiasm for over-bending my knee when doing the "hands-on" portion of PT. I even got used to the Graston technique and believe it was beneficial.

At my last few PT appointments, I worked with a different assistant, who kept giving me the most elementary of tasks to do. I'm sure she saw them on my chart, but I am way beyond them now. It was quite frustrating to be asked to do 3 sets of 30-second hamstring stretches or balancing on one leg. I finally told her I do those things every day at home. The good part is the clear progression from easy to more difficult maneuvers!

I'm looking forward to increasing resistance and using more exercise equipment now that I can firmly be in the strengthening phase--still very cautiously, of course. I agree with @Pheebs52, who said somewhere that she likes the leg press because she's successful at it. Exercise equipment used carefully gives me a bit of confidence and feels good. (I did put the kibosh on one exercise they devised, where a pulley and weights pulled my leg back under a chair). That one never felt good or right.
 
I would like the monthly subscription option please!

As far as looking at improvements as to compared to before surgery, that's the problem. I was better before surgery. Yes, I had pain getting up and down and doing stairs, but that's "all". I could walk and bend my knee fine. Nobody hurt me, like back when I was in PT, and no one "expected" my body to do what it can't. And yes, my understanding was that I'd be back to normal after a couple of months, and to me, a couple means 2. What a shock when I learned from Bonesmart at 4 weeks post op that this recovery takes a year or more!

So maybe I need more than one red box per month!

Thanks for all your posts, they are encouraging!
 
I've never offered a free, trial period on the Patience Subscription service, but for you @Polkadot? Consider it done! In some respects, I think this phase of recovery actually requires MORE patience. Bigger boxes might be needed! I'm not sure if Pixie Express is equipped to deal with oversized loads, but I'll certainly inquire.:SUNsmile:

@Jockette, I can somewhat relate to your situation. My tkr knee never, ever bothered me in any way at all until...it did! I didn't even know it was arthritic until I tore my meniscus. So, prior to that tear, I could pretty much do anything, pain-free. Once torn, (November 2016) the nightmare began. I won't bore you with all the details, but let's just say it's been a long, slow crawl back from that.

Basically, after the tear I couldn't do anything without considerable pain. The arthroscopic surgery made it all much worse. So, for me, at 4 months post-tkr, I can say this is so much better than that was. But, it's certainly not *perfect* yet. Basically, it's often stiff, it still swells if I overdo or do something klutzy or the moon is full, and I am aware of it most of the time. Every now and then, I will have a few hours of bliss, where I have zero awareness of it, but that's not a daily occurrence...yet. It gives me hope the day will come when zero-awareness rules.:friends:
 
As long as I am sitting with my feet up on an ottoman, I'm not aware of the knee, unless I lean over to reach for something.

But walking and bending is the pits.

Thus that pretty red box that just arrived! Thank you !
 
in the weeks and months before surgery, although i could still ride my bike and do most things, i figured it was just a matter of time before i fell and broke something. one day i did slip and bent my bad knee in a forward tumble down the hill in backyard and let out a scream. (the last of several knee mishaps over the years). luckily nothing broken, but it hurt. i'm a lot more patient now that i've been "released" by surgeon and melissa told me i don't have to come to physio every week anymore, can space it out. i know i don't "have" to go at all, but i think the treatments are helping as i'm improving a little every couple of weeks, nothing drastic, but every little bit of improvement motivates me. @Jockette i'm glad your box arrived but sorry walking and bending is the pits.:console2:
 
@liam2015 How scary to tumble down a hill like that! I'm glad you were not hurt more than you were!
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom