Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22

Thanks guyz! Good old Gary was delighted and I am as well. According to him, I am now *completely functional*, though there may be those who seriously question that; hah! Mistah comes to mind....! However, "completely functional* does not equate to healed, no swelling or no stiff-stuff; nope. :no-fin: Those will continue to be a WIP for up to a year, but with a little luck and perhaps decent genetics, could be greatly improved between 6-9 months. Time will tell, eh?

I did some fun new things there today, most especially, walking on a "Jello-Mat!" Hello balance my old friend! I was told I did well, so I'll believe it.:happydance:

Interestingly, to me, though 120 flexion seems to be the PT Goal in the U.S.A., he said most people really never use that much flexion for every day living. I guess if one is an athlete or a Yogi, more might be required, but as I've said for quite some time, there really isn't much I can't do, and now that I've hit 110, the sky's the limit. Well...sorta. I draw the line for a few things, like sky-diving. But, the "Can't list," is short and mostly relates to strength, stamina and grace, lol. I may have to enroll in a ballet class for some of the latter. :SUNsmile: We've been working on all of that, and will continue for just a little bit longer. My back and my hip are improving as a result of what I've learned there, and hey, that helps me walk! Today, I graduated to 40lbs of leg press with just the tkr leg; woot! I did 12 minutes of cycling, so I'm almost back to my pre-mishap time of 15 minutes; yay! After PT, I went food shopping and to a pharmacy and everything felt "A/N"...."Almost Normal!" Naturally I threw the ice on the minute I got home, but...so far, so good!

It's very reassuring to have a PT and an OS who are on the same page when it comes to the ROM stuff. Apparently, back in the day (not sure how far back) 90 degrees was the flexion Gold Standard and it's only been increased because some ..er..*vintage* types want to remain more active and athletic than their parents were. And that's great, but may set a difficult mental bar for the rest of us if we are number-driven, mental being the key word here. Thankfully, I lost that misbegotten 'tude at around 8-9 weeks post-op (had to for my sanity) and since then, function rules on my planet. :yes!:
 
Great report @Pheebs52! You caught up to me in the flexion dept and have much surpassed me in the leg press dept. well done - and the poem was delightful! I was thinking yesterday that at 110 I can do most everything - though need more strength to do some things well. I think some more flexion would help to not think about the knee as currently I still feel the stretch going downstairs and on the bike - but it is good to know that if this is all there is I could live with it. I'm hopeful for more and optimistic I'll get more and also content to be more patient, particularly since I don't really have pain (or any choice in the matter). Yes, function rules and here's to more "strength, stamina, and grace!" :cheers: So happy for you - you are the Supremo poster child for the patient BS way.
 
Last edited:
Thanks @kmak81230! I agree, a bit more flexion would help to make the stairs more ...er...graceful, lol. I also think we'll get, but slowly, of course!

More strength is a great goal for all of us, eh?
 
@Pheebs52 you go sistah! I'm so happy for you. You were patient and just kept going and look at where you are. when I saw the OS yesterday he said 110-120 is average and anything over 120 is icing! Of course you have been more functional all along. I don't think I could do a 40 lb leg press but I should start that at the Y. My right leg is still weak. Good for you, you are rocking it! Oh yeah, I went down the stairs backwards today for the first time. It felt weird....my right knee still hurts every step I take down and I thought maybe that will help. Time will tell.:dancy:
 
@becticu, here's to average, lol! :cheers: Who knows, in time I may catch up with you, though the numbers really aren't my thing. It's a good thing they weren't, eh? And it was a good thing I was retired and could wait this out for however long it took. If I am meant to get to 120 or beyond, it'll happen.....eventually. And naturally. No more heel slides for this chickie! :happydance:

Walking down the stairs backwards IS very weird the first few times, but not ouchy, and I really believe it helped me in getting to do them forward....you know, how they should be done, lol. If nothing else, it's certainly a good stretch.

Good to *see* you, as always!
 
that's wonderful progress Pheebs52. you'll be all set for your house hunting trip coming up soon. keep doing everything you're doing and careful on the bike.:bicycle2:
 
Thanks @Liam, whatever I'm doing (not much) seems to be working, so I'll just keep things status quo, lol. Trust me, there will be no more bike-pedal mishaps....ever. Just no. Can you believe it took me 3 weeks to recover from that?

I will need some major leg strength for house-hunting but I think excitement will help propel me through them, lol.

If you haven't been already, head over to Kmak's to pick up your special invitation!
 
Interestingly, to me, though 120 flexion seems to be the PT Goal in the U.S.A.
Where did you get this 'priceless' bit of information?! Never heard of such a thing. Not anywhere.
Apparently, back in the day (not sure how far back) 90 degrees was the flexion Gold Standard
And this is equally nonsense! I've never known that to be the case and indeed, many knee surgeons would consider that to be half way to a 'fail'. Only in the every early days where the implant was a fixed hinge what was designed to only flex to 90 degrees but those haven't been in use for decades!

Here are the 1960 and the 1980 versions! They definitely didn't bend past 90 degrees!
[Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
[Bonesmart.org] Pheebs52 Recovery Discovery Journey May 22
 
Last edited:
Well, @Pheebs52, now we know how far back! Our new implants, besides being more functional, are also so much prettier. :roseshwr: Yes, I'm even vain about things most people will never see (I hope).

My OS told me I could get my flexion to 130 or so with a combination of exercise and losing weight. Skinny knees bend better. :snork: Mine aren't skinny enough to get to 135. But I don't care. My 120 flexion lets me do everything I want to do. My OS said the whole point of knee replacement is to restore function, not a number. Still... it's kind of like weight, we're always trying to get to a better number. As you would say, "Pffft!!!" To that.
 
@Josephine, ouch! I didn't pull it out of thin air. Both pieces of info came from my PT, a credible source. He typically does not discharge patients until they reach 120 degrees flexion. When he referred to the former (read: old) standard, I believe he was talking about exactly what you just presented, 1960-1980 models. The NY Times also ran an article a few months ago stating the same on both counts with a focus on how much more flexion today's relatively younger TKR's want to achieve because they are more active than prior generations.

@SusieShoes, my legs are skinny but I doubt they'll ever be bending to 135, lol! That's ok though, right? Yes, it is.:SUNsmile:

I agree, the new implants are much more sleek; hah!
 
@Josephine, you were unnecessarily snarky. My PT is 60 years old, a fabulous *fossil* with years of experience. As such, he is aware of old standards and appliances.

You seem to dispute the idea of 120 degrees flexion as being today's standard, so perhaps you'd like to clarify this for me and others here as well?
 
Congrats @Pheebs52 on achieving 110. I'm glad you've recovered from your bike pedal mishap. Since I was discharged from PT , I had DH pull out my recumbent bike, wiped off the cobwebs, and I've been riding it some.
 
Huzzah, huzzah! 110! Wonderful! I'm still at 103, measured at my final PT appointment yesterday. You always were the over-achiever in the family.:roseshwr:I'm so happy you're doing so well!!!!!

I can press the 40 lbs with the TKR leg, but my PT took me off that completely as she says it has become too "easy." (Diminishing returns and all that.) Drat. I liked that one. :bawl:

I signed up for the 15 sessions of "Maintenance" and meet on Tuesday with one of the PTAs to go over my list of exercises for when I show up there. (I can come any time I want and stay as long as I want.) They're going to add some exercises for other body parts, too, like my flabby arms. :yikes: I decided this would be a good transition to going back to the YMCA. I'm afraid that if I went back immediately, I would be enticed by all the shiny metal gewgaws and clanking sounds, and I'd overdo it completely. :climb: :fasthorse::swim::bicycle2:
 
you were unnecessarily snarky. My PT is 60 years old
Yes, I suppose I was but it was intended to be gentle! But I was right then, he was born in 1957 so is 16 years younger than me. And I hold to this opinion which, though he was born, he wasn't yet at school!
I very much doubt your PT was even born then!
You seem to dispute the idea of 120 degrees flexion as being today's standard, so perhaps you'd like to clarify this for me and others here as well?
Because it's very much dependent upon each individual. I dispute that there can be a 'gold standard' for flexion. Some will do well at 110 and others will coast on to 130 or even more. Take me, for example - my surgeon was very surprised when I showed him my 135 degrees on both knees 6 weeks after having the second one done! Just suppose he and I had decided 120 was all I would ever get! Just doesn't hold water!
 
I agree that ROM is an individual thing. As we have said hundreds of times, no two knees are the same. One person's knee might have had lots of previous damage that will somewhat restrict what it's final outcome is. Another's might not have any problem at all hitting that magic number. As long as a person can do what they need and want to do, then that is a successful outcome IMHO!
 
My PTs would like me to achieve at least 120 as they know what I intend to use this knee for. That's when they typically release folks - it's an active clientele in an active community. My PT appts, which I find very helpful, will run out before I get there I'm quite sure.
 

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom