TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch! Poor thing! You know what they say about karma though?

I wouldn't wish her injury, or this recovery on anybody!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
 
I am sorry for her too, but must admit I laughed out loud as I read your post, then told the story of her comment to my husband and he laughed too. We are wicked people. Karma indeed!
 
Thanks for your quick response, Katie. I've got to say that it does sound discouraging. You're 2 1/2 months out from your surgery and got completely tuckered out after 2 1/2 hours out in the *real* world. I'm so, so sorry. Is the swelling in the operated knee, the non-op knee or both? Let's hope that you get encouraging news on Tuesday.

I was worried about not being able to cook for myself after the surgery. Luckily, I have a fairly large freezer, and a great collection of casserole and soup recipes. Crock pots make life so much easier, don't they? I also made a batch of meatballs and marinara sauce simmered in a cast iron skillet --a great trick to increase my iron intake. It's not that hard to boil some water for pasta, and microwave the meatballs and sauce. I made a big pot of oatmeal and simmered a mix of dried prunes, apricots, peaches and raisins to make fruit compote, which I divided into individual servings and froze. Cold cuts and cheese for sandwiches sound like just what the doctor ordered for a hot and humid Florida summer supper. Of course, one advantage of take out is that there aren't any pots, pans, and dishes to wash!

ETA: That poor lady! It speaks well of you that you're wishing her well, despite her judgmental attitude about you and your recovery.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara, oh that poor lady, and so nice of you to check up on her!
Getting a pedicure sounds nice,and may try to in the next few weeks. Will be thinking of you tomorrow.
 
I am feeling down and out today. I could hardly get out of bed due to water on the front and back of my surgical knee. Now the other one has the same problem. I feel like I am back to week 3 and I was doing so good . I can't wait to see my OS tomorrow. Even the pain pills aren't working. I can't even get off the couch and get to the bathroom without pain. THIS STINKS! Good thing my OS is only 5 minutes away. I'm afraid to drive for fear of not being able to get out of the car:tantrum: . Wish my husband was going with me but he needs a break from me
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara, wow, sorry to hear about the water on the knee? That does stink. Wish I had some great advice, but I can keep you in my prayers.
I am doing ok, still going through pain meds too fast. I tried taking 2 every 6 hours and that worked, so yesterday I cut back to 1, and at about 4 hours the pain was back, and angry. So I took another then, and now I am on 1 oxycodone every 4 hours.. had to call dr for a new prescription, and see what they say!!
So let us know how you do tomorrow!
 
@wings. Let me know how you are feeling. Thanks for the kind words. I will be thinking of you on the 15th. I know you will feel better once it is done
 
I am working on my presurg to do list. "Long way to go, short time to get there". Today I'll shop for a recliner. Like you I will be having sequential knee replacements, so I think a recliner will be my favorite spot for a while. Hope your pain improves as day progresses!
 
@louie try some Extra Strength Tylenol in between. I take 1000mg. I wish my OS believed in taking Norco instead of something stronger. I am going to ask him tomorrow since I can't function on my own. Today I am going to make the beds and start packing for the hospital. The rest of the day will be ice and sharing the couch with the dog lol:doggie:
 
@Pescara - so sorry you're having a tough day today.. I'm sending you some virtual hugs!!!:friends:

Take it easy today, ice, elevate and rest. And... even though your husband may need a break from you, maybe you need him to go with you tomorrow more... AFTER that he can get a break from you.. :yes: Just a thought.. :)

I know you want to go ahead and get your other knee done now, but in the event your OS doesn't think it's the right time, it will just be another call for patience on your part. I can't imagine having another knee done right now, as I cannot get up out of a chair without VERY carefully relying on my un-operated knee..

Either way, wishing you the VERY BEST, and hoping you feel better soon... physically and emotionally.. again, more hugs.. :friends:
 
@wings before mom passed we had bought her a lift chair from a medical supply . They told us if we had a prescription for one we could get one at 1/3 of the price. Maybe ask your OS about it. I still regret giving it too her neighbor but at the time she needed it more than me. Finally tomorrow is here. I can't wait to see my OS. I think I will stand while I wait so he can see the water on my knee and schedule the other knee. I was walking fine and no limp after 9 weeks. Mom always said I was a fast healer! This water has me worried and hope it won't hinder doing my other one. I will keep you posted :happydance:
 
@Pescara I was lurking around and came upon your thread. Holy Moly, girl! You've been out there supporting me and I should have been here supporting you. When I popped the stitch I had both blood and water on the knee. Both have gone way down in the past 2 weeks. But, in order for that to happen, I had to basically go back and do nothing. No exercise other than stretching. Lots of ice, lots of elevating, lots of rest. Again. I know exactly how you feel when you say
I feel like I am back to week 3 and I was doing so good
That is exactly how I felt. :bawl:All I wanted to do was cry or smack somebody or something. It's a really hard thing to accept, feeling great and then all of a sudden going back weeks in recovery.

I will check in on you tomorrow to see what your surgeon says about why you are the way you are. My other knee also needs to be done and is also in more pain now than before. If you think about it, we've put a lot more pressure on that good leg than before so it was bound to get worse. I'm hoping to to replace that knee next spring. Best of luck tomorrow. Thinking of you.
 
Glad you can hardly see your scar, my dressing was removed today. How do you treat the scar? Rub Palmers Cocoa Butter on it? How many times a day etc, can you advise more details? Please advise. Thanks.
 
@Birdy I use Palmers cocoa butter with scar remover. I use it twice a day. Once in the morning and before I go to bed. It has helped a lot. I only have 1 spot that you can see and looks angry. They also have a nice face lotion I use at night. I can't wait to show it to my OS today.
 
@momweb How are you feeling today? I have put a lot of pressure on my good knee but still have the pain I had before. I see my OS @ 11am. He is always on time so I am going to to stand while waiting so he can see my growing golf ball lol
 
Ty,@Pescara, for checking in on me. No, I am gonna take it easy today, not gonna push it. Don't wanna undo anything.
Was wondering how you were doing, and when you go see your dr. Let us know, and why you would get water on the knee. I heard that is really painful.
Good luck today.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom