TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pescara Good luck today. I see my OS on Thursday at 8:45. I'm usually less swollen in the morning so even if I stand he won't see the swelling I see by the end of most days. I woke up with the knee feeling stiff as usual but otherwise feeling pretty good. Then I took the dog for a walk and that awful stiffness behind the knee kicked in. Sometimes it is actually painful. When that starts I can hardly bend my knee. That's what I want to talk to the OS about.

It's still the nighttime that drives me crazy. I get into bed around 10 and shortly thereafter the throbbing begins. So, I take a pain pill and try my best to get comfy. I'm hoping the OS will help me with the nighttime stuff. Last night the throbbing actual woke me up with muscle spasms in m y calf. It was crazy.

I'll check in later to see how your visit went. I have a hair appt. at 12:30 for a cut and color. Can't wait. I need a new persona, maybe that will help get me out of this funk, too. Some new crazy color, who knows what I'll look like when I'm done. I'm always good for something new and crazy. :rofsign:
 
@louie I have always had trouble with water on my knees. It's from walking on a concrete floor for 30 years from being a manager @ Wal-Mart. It doesn't hurt much but looks angry. I go to the OS @ 11 am EST. I will keep you posted. I just hopes he drains the good knee and agrees to do my right one. I know I will have to go to rehab for at least a week since hubby has to work but it's for my own good. I will get better therapy just bad food but hubby said he will bring me dinner and my little dog every day. The rehab I went to the last time encourages you to bring your dog. They love her visits:doggie:
 
@wings when I was pre packing yesterday I felt I was forgetting something. It was my panties and pajamas! I also packed some Depends. One night I couldn't get to the bathroom fast enough and dribbled a little. They aren't the prettiest but helped a lot for night time lol:dubious:
 
@Pescara, you know we never realize when we are young what we are doing to our bodies, such as standing on concrete long hours, and me, we'll I am a pet groomer and kept the tub on the ground, like our tubs in the house, and bathed 8 to 10 dogs a day on my my knees, for 10 years or so. I didn't want the tub lifted, it wad to hard to lift the bigger and fatter dogs into the tub! Well my daughter started working with me, and she got my husband to raise the tub, and up until that day I didn't have a problem.
As soon as we raised the tub, my knees started to bother me. And of course, they both started REALLY bothering at the same time. Well that was about 3 years ago when I started this journey, and as far as which knee was first it was inny meany mighty moe. I tried shots first, and since the right one felt better and left one didnt, we decided to do left one first. And my daughterworking with me her husband had gotten orders for Oklahoma, he is in air force, and so up the date to have right one done, otherwise I'd still be suffering with the arthritis.
So got my knee done, and in the meantime, my son in law is gonna retire, and they are not moving. I am so thankful, didn't know how I could stand not seeing my grandchildren, everyday. I can go back to work in oct, not able to lift dogs, but can ans telephone and make appts.
 
@Pescara, just checking in to see how your appt went? Fill us in when u get a chance!
 
Update: Blue Cross rejected me I am 1/16 from bone on bone. They want me to go to PT for 3 months. I am so depressed. Don't they know how much pain I am in and the expense of PT. I don't have a money tree and going to have to dip in our savings. $ 500.00 a month for torture. They don't pay for more than 20% for PT but the doctor says I have to go by their guidelines. I was in tears when I left and didn't sleep well at all. Major meltdown:boohoo: Didn't even eat dinner I was so upset and hubby was ticked @ Blue Cross
 
@Pescara I am so sorry to hear that. The same thing happened when my hubby needed his lumbar spinal fusion. Had the date, everything was set and then the insurance company denied the procedure until X,Y, and Z were done even though he already met the requirements. It was another 4 weeks or so before it finally got approved. My poor husband was to the point where he couldn't walk at times, was on the max amount of pain meds (very high doses). No the insurance companies don't care about your pain or out of pocket expense and you are at their mercy to do what is requested or no approval. Your doctor can appeal the decision though which is what happened in the case of my husband. It takes time though......
 
Just got a call from PT. They can't take me for 2 weeks. The doctor wouldn't even give me something for the pain so back to Tylenol
 
@Pescara is it the surgeon who won't give you something for the pain? If so, call your Primary Care. That's what I did and cried in his office about my arthritis pain and he prescribed my anti-inflammatory which got me through. Sometimes I hate insurance companies, it's all about the all mighty dollar. One thing you can try if available in your area are swim classes. I took aerobic swim classes for about 6 months before my surgery and I was really surprised how much it helped the pain levels in my knees and my back. Just an option. Know that we are thinking of you.
 
@Pescara, oh I was so sorry to hear what you found out yesterday! I can't even imagine how you feel. It's too bad the insurance company has the last say!
 
I agree with @bdink21 and would try to appeal the insurance decision. In the meantime, did the subject of injections for your knee enter the conversation? I had both cortisone and then hyaluronic acid, which helped to some degree with the pain. I know my insurance expected to see lots of effort to resolve my issue prior to approving surgery. Very frustrating.. Hang in there, @Pescara !
 
Appeal, appeal, appeal. Don't ever let them turn you down so easily. If possible, get a second opinion on that knee. I had to go through a lengthy appeal process for my shoulder (the only surgeon capable of the replacement in the are) was out of network but they approved the procedure but not the only surgeon who could do it. So I appealed and got it approved. For the pain, as others said, go to you primary care and have a frank talk with him about pain management and get him to get you some help. At the very least, if he is not comfortable prescribing it, then refer you to a pain management doctor... Don't go down without a fight. If insurance companies know they can put us down and save some money with a simple NO they will always say it, but if you show them you will not be so easily denied and will fight for what you are entitled to, many times they approve (to shut you up).. It's not personal, it's business.... Now it's YOUR personal busness so take control. Good luck!
 
Hi Pescara I am so sorry to hear your insurance rejection for further surgery at the moment. As the system in Audtralia is different from USA, I can,t contribute to the next few steps you may take. But my best wishes for your best luck on next step.
 
Just got off the phone with my family doctor and wouldn't give me anything for pain. He didn't want to go against the OS. I got my shots again in my knee yesterday. 8 times in 3 years. I start PT on Friday. Wondering if I have to go the whole 3 months. Guess I give up. All I have done is cry in 2 days due to pain and rejection. I have already called my OS twice and afraid to call again. Maybe my husband should call but all we get is the nurse never the doctor
 
If the PT reports to the OS that PT is not causing you to improve, would that impel the OS to take another stab at Blue Cross? Just trying to think like an insurance company...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom