TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@PolarBear60 , since my last TKR I don't remember the first 4 days. Should I ask my OS what I was given? Maybe a lower dose? When I got to rehab(the ride from h***) I never got 1 ice pack the whole time. Should I have had to ask for it? I would think it would be an automatic thing. I will not go back to the same place. One nurse was nasty and didn't think I needed pain pills. My husband called my OS and had my husband bring me medication.
 
I don't know what to suggest. I came straight home from the hospital after three nights, and my pain management went smoothly the whole time. I have no idea what rehab is like, but I don't think it should be like the experience you had. It's probably fair that you may have had to ask for ice or at least find out where to get it from (if you are at a point where you are able to move around some), but it shouldn't have been in issue.

If you're able to choose a place this time, you would want to talk to them about what to expect so you're prepared.

It's fair to as your OS what you were given on your first surgery. If it worked well, you would want something similar. If it didn't, you would want it adjusted.
 
Good morning @Pescara. I apologize for not seeing your question regarding my OS visit sooner. That was a long day for me. I really like the OS. He did over 600 TKR's last year with a low complication rate. I found him to be a kind physician, and willing to answer my questions. I'm scheduled for LTKR on Sept. 15 at a dedicated orthopedic hospital. I will spend 3 nights and have OP physical therapy the day after I go home. Surgery on my right knee will probably be 4-6 weeks later. I have my annual cardiology checkup in a little over a week in addition to pre-anesthesia clearance. The OS and the hospital are an hour and 30 minutes away from my home not great but neither one of us are moving :heehee:.

Like you, I will be having back to back surgeries. I need to prepare my nest: handheld shower, purchase recliner, get platform built if needed, check to see if sofas can be elevated. I purchased a skateboard yesterday to use in recovery. There is a great thread here on bonesmart re using skateboard for heel slides. Do shopping to stock up on any special items I want to save my husband from wandering around in grocery store.

I'm a little scared but trying to focus on the improved mobility after recovery.

Your OS appt is rapidly approaching, so you will have a date soon! We can recover together!
 
Can't wait to see my OS on Tuesday. I hope he and the insurance company give me the go for my right knee. I can't hardly get off the couch without help. Even with the pain pills I still have a hard time. I had a hard time in the hospital and stayed for 4 days. Who knew Morphine and dilaudid would give me hallucinations. I even threatened the nurse with a gun and I don't even have one! I just remember being at the nurses station to keep an eye on me. Maybe this weekend I will start to get ready for the hospital and rehab. I forgot a lot of things the last time not expecting to go to rehab. My poor husband having to bring me clothes everyday. I want to pick the right rehab this time so I can see my little dog for a visit:doggie:
 
I'm sure you have a to do list going. Just leave the gun and ammo off :heehee:.
 
You threatened the nurse?! That is hilarious. And you seem such a gentle soul.
 
@wings I think I will leave my imaginary gun and ammo at home lol. I tossed and turned all night thinking I might be refused to get my right knee done. I can't think of getting off the couch without pain. If they say no I am going to have a big meltdown. Today I am going for a pedicure. I can't cut my nails and they are really bad. Last time I had one was the day before surgery then a couple of errands. I never go more than 5 miles away from home since it is in my comfortable zone. I am a little stiff and sore so I hope I can get in the chair. Hope you have a great weekend.:scary:
 
@Pescara Enjoy that pedicure!! What a treat! I gave myself one before my surgery and was pleasantly surprised that my nail polish was still on. They removed it from my operative foot when I had my arthroscopy. So I had pretty pink toes while in the hospital. Somehow just made me feel a little better lol. Enjoy :)
 
@Pescara enjoy your day! Tuesday will be here before you know it. This will be the same OS as before right? I had to pick a knee to go first as they are equally bad, wouldn't you know the pain has increased in the knee I didn't pick.

Be sure to ask for assistance if you need it getting in chair. Check in later!
 
@wings See if you can get a cortisone injection to other knee when in surgery. Hopefully it will quiet it down enough to rehab your operative knee. That's what I did and my right knee has no pain at all now, was pretty painful and swollen day of surgery.
 
@Pescara, and how are you doing today? Yesterday I was sooo tired, from the moment I got up, until i went to bed last night. Felt better today, and feel like shopping. So doing that from my living room, lol.
 
The pedicure was heavenly. He even managed to remove a couple of knots in my calfs . I love my manicures and pedicures. Yup.. over did it again. Will I ever learn? Lol. After husband and I went to Target Lowe's and out for lunch. BIG mistake. By the time we got home I was exhausted. The upside was I met an OS surgery nurse of 30 years of experience. She looked at my knee and said " no wonder it hurts) I have water on my knee and behind it. @bdlik21. I have had tons of shots in my knees and no longer work. Maybe he can give me something to be more comfortable until surgery. Great idea. Thanks. @louie I have found everything I need @ Amazon except the wonderful light stockings I got in the hospital. They seemed to disappear once I got to rehab.@wings Thanks for the kind words. Yes it is the same OS. I also had to pick a knee. Little did I know the impact would make my other one so bad. BAD KNEE.BAD. Don't you know I have things to do ! Tuesday hurry up and get here. I now have ice packs on both. HELP.Hubby is doing the food shopping. We might have to do a lot of take out. :bawl:
 
My hubby is not a great cook either, problem is that HE thinks he is and would be totally insulted to hear otherwise lol. Oh well I can afford to lose a few pounds.
 
Will be thinking of you Tuesday.

Out of curiosity, how long did your trip to manicure/pedicure, shopping and lunch take? I have my first outpatient physical therapy appointment tomorrow, and have asked the friend who's taking me to take me to Costco afterward. It'll be my first big trip since the surgery. I don't want to overdo it!
 
@SarahJane ,my pedicure was an hour and then errands and lunch about 1 and half hours. I haven't moved off the couch all day! Every time I get up the swelling is worse so I don't move unless I have to.
 
SarahJane, get one of the electric carts when you get to Costco, and that will take a lot of the strain off you.
 
@PolarBear60 Karma, the lady that thought I should be better by 9 weeks stepped off the curb at church last night and broke her hip and knee cap! She will be in surgery tomorrow morning. I wish her well and sent flowers. I'm not the kind of person who holds a grudge and will see how she is doing in 2 weeks. I hope she realizes how long it takes to recover.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom