Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel after 9 weeks I should be able to conquer the world .
Your knee is still a baby, so don't expect too much of it yet. It does take a full year for all healing to be complete, although you will feel much better long before that.

I'm glad you've decided to go ahead and get the other knee done. You'll be able to look forward to a 2016 with two lovely new knees.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hope your appt. and the trip to get there and back went well! Tomorrow is my long awaited appt. with OS.
 
@louie Finally got home from my GP appointment. I got a copy of all my records so I won't have to go for the 1hour drive to and back anymore. It takes 3 hours from when I leave ,get prescriptions filled and get back home. I don't think my GP wanted me to get knee surgery so I could finish paying for his sons medical degree lol. He is very cautious about surgery. I can't wait to see my OS next Tuesday.
 
Way to go @Pescara!

Certainly makes sense to have GP closeby when needing Rx's following TKR.
 
Glad you've found a closer GP. It's not necessarily a bad thing to be cautious about surgery, but when it's medically certain it's needed, it's time to go for it.
 
I am going to miss my GP. We have had a great 10 years but my husband agrees with me. It's time for a different doctor. He is also exhausted after the long trip. Now I can drive myself. After working all day it's hard on him. Now that he is retired he has 40 years of catching up on his sleep! He took a part time job at the local High School teaching ROTC and a security company that hires retired military. After the long drive and filling prescriptions I was tried and sore. I kept waking up all night. Lots of ice packs and Tylenol Extra Strength helped a lot. I now can look forward to seeing my OS next week. It can't come fast enough! I am ready for my RTKR. Ice on both knees last night and couch and tv. I still can't get over the doctor charged me $35 for my records. I talked to my insurance company and they agree it's time to get my RTKR. They were so nice and answers all my questions about my coverage.
 
I have a question for my US friends. I know I will be going to rehab for 5-7 days after I am released from the hospital. Do I still need home PT 3 times a week. My insurance pays 100% for home PT but is it worth it after being in rehab?
 
Glad to see you're progressing so well. Just been catching up on your thread, what a fab thing your husband did by serving in the military for 40 years.
Pleased to see you changed your GP and that you're going to get your other knee done, you will really notice the difference when you have 2 knees that are working properly. I've had a couple of setbacks but think I'm now back on the road to recovery properly again.
 
@@CATSMUM, I have had a few set backs but nothing ice and rest won't help. Hope you are doing better
 
So long as you have transportation to outpatient PT after rehab, I wouldn't bother with home PT. Basically, I had it before I was considered "mobile" enough for outpatient.
 
What's your co-pay for outpatient? (I haven't read back in your thread to check, so I'm going to ask) Did you have home PT for the left leg, and were you satisfied with them? If you were, they might be helpful to save a load on your husband having to drive you to PT for several weeks as you won't be able to drive for about 4-6 weeks after the right knee is done. What you would expect from them (at least, what I got from mine) would be gentle massage on the tight areas beginning at the ankle and working up to the knee and basic stretching exercises designed to help with extension and flexion. Other than the massage, they should be watching you do the exercises, and (you now this) if anything hurts, you need to let them know, and they should immediately modify whatever it is so it doesn't hurt.

On the other hand, if you're comfortable going it yourself for a few weeks before you start outpatient PT, there's nothing you can't do on your own (except maybe the massage, and if your home PT folks don't do that, you probably don't need them for much). Following the BoneSmart way, you may not even want outpatient PT, but I found them useful for targeting certain areas that bothered me. Your mileage may vary.
 
Sorry you're having those sleepless nights. Maybe we could all contribute to a special playlist to help you get to sleep. Here are some "dreamy" suggestions:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=song+mr+sandman+bring+me+a+dream&t=ffsb&ia=videos&iai=oNuX7bs2qAM

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=song+mr+sandman+bring+me+a+dream&t=ffsb&ia=videos&iai=oNuX7bs2qAM



I think you should make a decision about home physical therapy after you see how the second surgery goes. But if it were me, I'd want someone -- either a visiting nurse or a physical therapist -- to come at least once or twice and see how you're managing at home. With both knees on the mend, it's better to be safe than sorry, I say.
 
@Polar Bear 60, I'm not sure what my co pay will be. The last time I only lasted 3 days at rehab(long story) and had 6 PT sessions at home and a nurse 5 Times a week due to blood thinners. Everything was paid 100% by my insurance. PT would have to be late in the day due to hubby having to drive me. I really liked my PT the last time and the nurse was great. She even took me to the ER when my Coumadin level went over 10 and called my hubby to meet us there. After thinking about it I will try the rehab (a different one) and check about home PT and nurse. I am also going to call someone to help clean. Hubby does his best but is to tired to deal with more than doing dishes and making beds lol. The insurance company wants me to spend 3 days in the hospital and 5 days at rehab. It might be a good start for recovery:dogwalk:
 
Good idea to have someone come to clean. It would help your hubby a great deal not to have to worry about that, and you'll feel better, too.
 
@SaraJane, thanks for the music. I have found some old tv shows on in the middle of the night. It would be great to listen to music for a change.
:thankyou:
 
@PolarBear60 . I did my research last night and found my insurance company pays half. I found a company that will help with the housework cooking etc part time. It will take a lot of pressure off my husband
 
Still paying for Tuesday from seeing my old GP then waiting for prescriptions @ target. 3 hours out was way to much on me. The good news is I can hardly see my scar. Palmers Cocoa butter works great. Once again I am on the couch with ice. I can't wait for Tuesday to see my OS to schedule my right knee. I'm ready but not looking forward to the rehab again. UGH !!!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom