Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to the pharmacy and they suggested Vitamin E oil and Palmers Cocoa butter. He also gave me a Durmoplast pain and itch spray. It had lidocaine in it. Thanks to him I made it to my husband's retirement party. 40 years in the Marines,6 tours overseas. I am so proud of him. I even made it through the first dance. A big thanks to the bartender who kept my knee wrapped in ice in a towel. I think I finally turned the corner and ready for my RTKR. Bring it on !!! I can't wait until I see my OS on the 18th. Today rest and ice. I have plenty of movies to watch.:froggies:
 
Awesome! :wow:

40 years in the Marines! I am thankful for your husband's service to our country.

How wonderful you could dance!

Enjoy your movies!
 
You are doing so well. 40 years in the Marines. That is quite an accomplishment. Glad you were able to celebrate with him.
 
Congratulations on your husband's retirement. So glad you could attend and enjoy!


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
@wings @PolarBear60 . Spent the day with my best friends. Ice,rest and movies! My husband looked so great in his uniform and our first dance was nice and slow. It felt great to dance again. After last night I am exhausted. Something someone said to me is bothering me. "Surgery was 9 weeks ago. When are you going to get off the couch and get back to a normal life". It made me think....am I babying myself to much and not doing more? I am having my doubts. Maybe I should wait to do my other knee? I still take a pain pill at least twice a day. (Mostly after PT). Should I be off them by now even though it is a low dose of Norco. Any suggestions?:shrug:
 
Not sure where that person is coming from, but only you know for sure. It sounds like someone without much experience in TKRS. I will caution one thing -- if you do decide it's time to "get off the couch and back to a normal life" don't try to do it all at once. That would be disastrous! As you resume normal activities, you should do so a little at a time (which I believe you've been doing). I wouldn't let anything they said deter your from getting your second knee done. To me, your plan sounds ideal, but, again, only you know for sure.
 
Something someone said to me is bothering me. "Surgery was 9 weeks ago. When are you going to get off the couch and get back to a normal life". It made me think....am I babying myself to much and not doing more? I am having my doubts.
Don't let someone else's thoughtless comment bother you. I bet they've never had a knee replacement.

While it's true that a minority of people recover faster, you are doing just fine. You're doing everything right.
 
@wings How are you doing today? Thanks@Celle for the kind words. Yesterday I went to Target and used the electric cart. I still needed a nap when we got home. Who knew shopping could be so hard lol. I still have a little pain at the top of my knee when I stand up and my poor right knee is now suffering. Today is food shopping. I could kiss the person who came up with the idea for electric carts!
 
@Pescara Good morning! I am doing well, thank you for asking. I have a big week coming up. Go to my PCP for annual checkup tomorrow. Will leave there with orders for bone density and mammogram. Not really thrilled about that, but I am very interested in seeing if my bone density has improved.

I will finally see an OS on Wednesday who is a knee specialist :). Prior to this I was seeing a convenient, general practice OS for cortisone injections. My knees have actually been feeling better, but I have had previous experience of instant recovery while sitting in a waiting room :loll:, only to become sick again the next day.

Anyway, I am looking forward to an opinion from an OS with lots of experience.
 
@wings, I see my old GP for the last time on Tuesday and I will ask for my records. I called on Friday to confirm and I will be seeing his partner. It is bittersweet since I like him and has always on my side. But the 1 hour drive I am in a lot of pain so the one 10 minutes away is good for me. He also goes to my hospital and checks in every day @ 5. You can set your watch by him and takes his time to answer any questions. After 2 years of shots in my knees it will eventually be worth it. Keep me posted on what your OS has to say. Hope you are having a great day. How are you feeling?:doggie:
 
@wings Back to having second thoughts about my right knee. I can't seem to make up my mind. I feel after 9 weeks I should be able to conquer the world . No swelling and still discolored and still using ice. My knee is still sore especially after getting off the couch and some cramps at night. My poor right knee..it has taken the brunt and seems to work harder. My scar looks like a war zone lol. Maybe tomorrow my GP can answer some questions.:what: Hubby says go for it. Hospital for 3 days and rehab for 5 days. Maybe I can work on both knees while I am there
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@wings Had a nice long talk with my husband tonight. He understands my fear about doing my right knee but assured me he would be there all the way. He's right. Going to rehab after surgery will be good for me and will also help my left knee. I will miss him and the dog but said he would make sure I can go somewhere where they will let the dog visit. She is a great therapy dog and maybe can help others. For only5 pounds she is fearless lol. I called the insurance company and they have already pre approved my surgery. They are just waiting for the paperwork next week from the OS. Now I just have to figure out what to take for clothes. Flowers and chocolate and ice cream cups for all the nurses. They loved it the last time. I feel so much better after our talk:dogwalk:
 
I work for a home health agency, and one of my clients had to be in a rehab for a little while. He had the cutest little Boston Terrier, and did not have any family in the area. So we took turns taking care of his dog at night, and during the day the rehab let us bring the dog to the facility to be with him, as long as one of us stayed with him so we could keep the door closed. It made his day. And we were so glad to be able to make it all work out.

Your husband sounds like he gets it. And soon you will be totally on the other side!
 
@Pescara, I've had a busy day and am just now checking email and this forum. Thanks for checking on me! I understand about the second thoughts. For myself, I think I am in the best general shape I'm going to be in, these knees will just continue to impact my health, they certainly depress me:groan:, so might as well go for it. Everyone has their own issues and concerns to deal with, but we are so lucky to have the support and camaraderie of this forum.

I saw my primary care physician today and she read my MRI reports. She's not the surgeon, but she thinks it's up to me to pick a time, that my knees will have an increasingly negative impact on my quality of life. I see first OS on Wednesday. Hope it goes well.
 
@wings Let me know how your appointment went. Hubby and I tried a new exercise yesterday. I'm pretty sore today. It's a good thing I don't see my OS until next week ! Today is the last day I see my old GP. I hope they will give me my records. If not I will have my new one ask for them. Thanks for letting me vent yesterday. It helped and now pick out what I want to take with me since they take you straight from the hospital. Hubby said he would come when they have me settled in and bring my shoes and exercise clothes.
 
Awww that's so nice, and I was thinking how you were doing, too! I am doing ok, the stretches hurt awful, so careful with them. My rom goes from 95/110. That's ok, but I know it will get better, especially when swelling goes down.
Today is a rainy day, so not out walking, and just relaxing, and icing! So, how are you doing? Next tues, is your day, right? I will be thinking of you, and you are gonna feel great after all said and done! How is your other knee doing? Do you exercise everyday? Do you use a cane? How are you getting around??
 
@louie I haven't used a cane since week 4. I tried some different stretches last night and paying for it today. Will I ever learn lol. Next Tuesday is my OS visit and after having a heart to heart with my husband and the dog I decided to get my right knee done. I know my GP will not agree when I see him today. After 3 years of shots enough is enough. This is my last visit with him. I found another GP that is only 10 minutes away instead of 1 hour. I like my new GP and meet him while I was in the hospital by asking the nurses and my OS for recommendations. He totally supports me in my decision. Today is lots of ice before the long ride and a cooler with another one :dogwalk:
 
Honestly, I think u will be happy with your decision, and all this will be behind you, and 2 brand new knees! :loveshwr:.
I, too did the shots and my dr would only do them every 4 months, and the first one was great, and after that they wouldn't work as effectively. So went on to the next thing, and I am glad, I finally have this behind me. Plus just the little bit of walking I have done, it was a good choice .
Why doesn't your gp want u to have the surgery? So after u c the os, when will your surgery be?? Like I said before, I think you made the right ch
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom