Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wondering ...is anyone feeling a strange clicking on their new knee? Having my left knee has put a lot of stress on my right one. I know I need to get it done. Lots of crunch snap cracking and pop! I will ask the OS about it.
Lots of us have experienced these odd noises from our knee.
Most people subscribe to the theory that it happens because, instead of bone and cartilage, you now have metal and plastic, which are much harder, moving over each other.
Usually, the noises fade with time, but some persist.

This article from the library may help to explain it:
Clicking/clunking knee joint after surgery
 
Sounds like you had fun. I hope you kept everyone waiting on you! I call Madison my shadow and great company. Don't over do. I am a member of the over do it club lol. Make sure you get plenty of rest , ice and elevate. I finally cleaned my coffee table and no longer looks like a hospital. It makes me move and go to the kitchen if I need anything. My hubby agrees with you. Time to get the right one done but this time spend 1 week in a rehabilitation center. Nursing care 24/7 and 90 minutes a day of PT. I will ask my OS when I see him on the 18th. Hubby is taking the day off to go with me with my list of questions. :wave:
 
@Pescara Really enjoyed it. Now home after the birthday party, left early as knee started to get stiff. Took your advice about not overdoing it and am icing and elevating. Glad you're going to get your other knee done, good that your hubby is going with you, mine goes with me and asks questions l don't necessarily think of. How's your knee today?
 
I'm doing good today even with the rain. My insurance company called today. Guess they don't take Sunday off lol. It was a nurse and suggested I get my right one done since I have fulfilled my co-pays and all I have to pay for is medication. Even the hospital and rehabilitation center is 100% paid and then home PT and a nurse 3 x a week. I'm just a little scared. I had a bad experience with the rehabilitation center the last time ( my first post) and I couldn't make it to the bathroom fast enough and was left with wet clothes and bed all night so I will take my time at the hospital and pick the right one this time and not have the nurse rush me. I think it will be the end of August. :wave:
 
@Pescara pleased you're doing well today. You know what insurance companies are like, always there!!! If they are suggesting you get it done, then you should. I can understand you feeling frightened and scared due to the bad experience you had last time, just tell them how you felt and explain how anxious you were, I'd feel exactly the same way if I'd had a bad experience line you. At the end of the day you will be so much better off when they're both done. Do research and pick the best one, wish the medics wouldn't rush us, at the end of the day we all revived at our own pace - bet they wouldn't rush if they'd had a tkr!
End of August will be good, you'll be recovered in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas. :loll:
 
@@CATSMUM How are you today. We are having bad thunderstorms and lightning and went all night and will have it all day. My calf and knee ache.. I got up and took some Tylenol @2 am and finally went back to sleep until 7:30 am. Last night I made meatloaf, potatoes and glazed carrots. It felt good to cook alone. Hubby was so sweet and said the best dinner I have made since I started this journey. I will be ready for my right knee. I hope it will be easier but now I know what to expect. Do the bottom of your feet burn? Mine started yesterday. Hope you are having a great day. Your friendship has been wonderful. I don't feel so alone. :loveshwr:
 
@Pescara hi Katie, well the bruising on my knee has really come out and it's and it's a little tender! I can remember when l holidayed in Florida that we had some cracking thunderstorms land lightening. Funnily enough l woke up at 2am UK time and had to take painkillers went back to sleep about 3am and woke up when hubby got up at 5am to go to work The aching of the calf and knee is normal, l still get it - probably because we're overdoing things, lol. Your dinner sounded yummy, l haven't started cooking yet, my hubby says he's enjoying cooking so l might just leave it to him :heehee:
Your hubby sounds a lovely man just like mine, we're so lucky to have considerate men folk. You will be ready for your other knee and l will be following you throughout it, just don't compare it to your current recovery. My feet don't burn but that might be because I'm not on my feet too long! What a lovely thing to say about friendship, although we maybe in different continents, we could be in the same room. :flwrysmile:

Hope you're having a great day too. x
 
@@CATSMUM I couldn't believe it. I got out of bed with no swelling and bruising. I am now walking with just a slight limp. I remember what the PT told me... try not to waddle like a duck. It worked. Something you can look forward to. Thanks to hubby cooking I lost 12 pounds lol. I know I overdue but I have trouble staying down. I have had enough of the couch and tv. Patience was never one of my virtues. I was raised by a single mom and she worked full time ( I was 59 when she passed) so I was always doing all the cooking and cleaning. Funny... I never told anyone except my hubby. When we got married we had her move in with us and stayed with us until the end at 93 years young I have always stayed home since she and David were my only family. Oh...how I miss her hugs. Let everyone wait on you hand and foot. You will know when you're ready to do things by yourself. Your body still needs lots of rest and ice. We have put our body through a big shock. I treasure our friendship. Wish you were closer so we could do this together. Let hubby cook and the dust will still be there tomorrow! Madison has been a life saver. She makes me move and go out. I finally went up and down the stairs with just a little twinge. Happy Happy Joy Joy. :hugzz::thankyou:
 
That's really great that you had no swelling or bruising, I was walking quite well before the fall, albeit the l was limping. Know exactly what you mean about the couch and TV, only so much of daytime TV that you can take, lol. It's very hard when you lose your mum and even harder space to fill especially when they've lived with you, that was a great age to live too as well. My mum was 83 when she died 12 years ago, such a void to fill too, even now l miss my mum so much as you must miss yours.
Madison sounds lovely and just what you needed, we have an elderly cat that keeps us on our toes, think we my get a dog when we retire. I'm counting down the years, only about 3 to go now!
Distance doesn't seem nothing when we've got this forum :). Well done on the stairs, that's an achievement in itself.
Hubby is still doing cooking and housework is part of his house duties, lol.
 
My feet were burning last night. They felt hot and cold all at the same time. That's the nerves healing (I hope). I put on wool socks and took my muscle relaxer and my percocet, and after about an hour the burning feeling went away. Really bugged me. Glad to see you are doing well.
 
@CATSMUM . So discouraged. Seems like everyone is way ahead of me. Maybe it's due to age and a baby when it comes to pain. Last night I felt like taking a bubble bath instead of a shower. Big mistake! Got in with minimal pain but getting out was another story. Major pain especially in my right knee. I didn't think about the tub being so deep.Hubby had to help me get out. I was in pain all night and back on the pain pills. I was up every 2 hours. I thought I would be further along
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Getting out of a tub is hard with two good knees! Thankful someone was there to help you. I'm not a bath person, so I haven't tried it, even with a jacuzzi tub on vacation 20 months after my TKR. The lower you are the harder it is to get up.
 
@KarriB I'm not a bath person either but thought it would help with the aches in my calfs Another life lesson learned. Maybe a heating pad will help
 
I never would have attempted taking a tub bath at 8 weeks. I know it feels like your recovery has been going on for a long time, but it is actually early days still. Try not to compare--I know it's hard--and just celebrate every little bit of progress. It's sometimes hard to see the progress, but it will come. :console2:
 
@kneeper @CATSMUM @KarriB , 1 step forward 2 steps back. Told hubby last night I was going to find out how much it would be to turn the tub to a shower lol. Once again on the roller coaster. I was feeling great until the bath idea. Now I am swollen and sore and my good knee is worse. I did notice last night part of my scar is gone thanks to Palmers cocoa butter . Hubby was so sweet and bought me a moist heating pad for my calfs. Still with the ice all day and evening. At least I am sleeping really well. I called the OS and his nurse suggested going to the beach to soak my knees in salt water since our lovely Florida water is 87 degrees. I didn't know salt water is the best for healing so we will go tonight and walk and watch the sunset. Yes... I am taking my cane!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
When I bought my house I noticed there were no tubs in any of the bathrooms. I was told the woman who lived here was crippled with arthritis and had the tubs removed and showers installed. So I have just about a four inch step over into the shower stall, plus there is a small bench. When I have the bathroom redone I'll keep the the shower but have a longer bench built.
I know how hard it is to get over the tub to take a shower. My best friend had that problem with her TKR. When I was in the hospital and rehab for my knee the aides prepared "baths in a bag", two bags filled with very warm water, one soapy and one just water. I took those for granted, because I really missed them when I came home to sponge baths for a whole month.
Don't you love Palmer's? My PT used it on my knee, so I bought a tub and ow it goes everywhere!
 
@KarriB Our other bathroom has a shower and I bought a bench for it. The first time I used it took forever and all my energy. Back to showers forever. Not taking another chance at being behind on my healing:doggie:
 
@Pescara have you gone swimming yet or do you know anyone with a jacuzzis? Some jacuzzis have steps to walk out of, but I'd clear that with your OS first. I'd think a jacuzzis would feel great, but the only one I've had access to was in a tub, so a no go.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom