Guest viewing is limited

TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pescara Why on earth was your family doctor upset that you'd had your knee done? Your OS wouldn't have done the tkr of it weren't necessary. Very pleased to read that you're going to have your other knee done. Enjoy your walk with your Yorkie dog.
 
Just came back from Wal-Mart super center grocery shopping. I had to rest a couple of times but I made it! We went very early so not many people. Now time to rest and ice. I was scared at first but I took my cane for the first time since week 5. I have a handicap plackard and got the first spot. Hubby let me drive home and with his guidance I got over my fear of driving. I had fun for the first-time in 7 weeks.
 
@CATSMUM, he didn't think I was ready . He knew I had been having a hard time for 2 years but thinking about it he has been wrong a few times on other things. I love my new doctor and supports me fully
 
Glad to hear the outing and drive home went well! Excellent progress for sure. Be sure and rest today so you don't overdo it.


RTKA 8 June 2015
LTKA 14 Sept 2015 (sched)
 
Ridiculous thinking you weren't ready for it! Bone on Bone pain is just so debilitating. Pity he'd never suffered from knee pain like that!

Glad you had a good trip out. Went out this morning with hubby nc have been icing and resting knee ever since! Make sure you rest up now.
 
Yesterday after the grocery store and walking the dog I made dinner alone for the first-time. Pork roast and fresh vegetables in the crock pot. I was so proud of my self but I over did it. Sleep eluded me most of the night with leg cramps and knee pain. Even with the sleep medication it was a long night. I will see my new doctor this week to get something different. Rest and lots of ice today. Hope everyone had a great Sunday
 
We've all been there, members of the overdid it club. Take it easy today, hope the pork roast was good.
 
Is anyone's scar still red after 7 weeks. I thought it was getting lighter since it's not purple anymore but no matter what I do it won't get lighter. I only have until August 18th until I can get my right one done. I need to show the OS I'm ready
 
The scar can take a long time to fade, but it eventually does.
 
My scar is still quite red/pink after 7 weeks, it takes time to fade so don't worry.
 
@Gillina lol. I started with 6 seasons of True Blood also. My hubby likes them so at least we can spend time together. I try to get into the shows he likes
 
I finally filled the Remeron yesterday after giving up with poor sleeping. 30 mg knocked me out for a full 8 hours. My OS had given it to me and I was hesitant about using it but now I know I needed it. I feel like I have turned the corner. Today is cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms. I will take it slow and rest and ice between chores. I have learned so much here especially about patience. The end of the week will be week 8. The bruises have finally gone. If I sit for to long I get stiff and sore but Tylenol seems to be working well. It's amazing how a good night's sleep and no pain meds have lifted the fog. I will be ready at the end of August for my right knee. Now I know what to ask my OS. Thanks to all for great support. All of you are rock stars!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Today is the start of week 8 and so discouraged. At least I am finally sleeping. After reading a lot of posts it seems like I am way behind. All I want to do is cry. I'm trying to keep a positive attitude . I never got to do my list yesterday but did manage to clean the kitchen and do 3 loads of much needed laundry. Maybe I did to much. I really wanted to make friends here but not much luck. I'm back to the pain pills 3 x a day that helps with ice. I need to get better by August 18th when I see my OS so I can get my other knee done. I might have to put it off. :cry:
 
The long recovery can be discouraging. Some of the medications can contribute to that feeling as well (I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned). Cleaning the kitchen can be exhausting. So can doing laundry, depending upon your setup. I know you won't die if those tasks aren't done, but there can be other undesirable consequences. Smile. I know I feel better if my kitchen sink is clean. I hope you feel better today for having gotten those tasks accomplished. I know I would. You sound like you're doing well to me.

Also, you're liable to be feeling much differently (to the better) by August 18.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara You do have friends on here, please don't think you don't. You appear to be doing really well, I am about the same time out as you at 8 weeks and sometimes feel as if l should be doing better, however, when l see my Physio and GP they both tell me how well I'm doing, everyone progresses at different speeds. You're also doing far too much, slow down, it's not a race.
 
Thanks for mentioning the Remeron. I have to look into that. You are not alone. Let's keep sharing our challenges and solutions, and we will overcome!
 
@Polar Bear60. I was given Remeron after my mom passed. It is an anti depression and sleep medication all in one. I am giving it up and will talk to my new GP about something for sleep only. It's hard because it is just me and my Yorkie for 9 hours a day. Hubby has to work.I live in a 55+ community and have no neighbors until fall. After week 3 I have had to do all my PT on my own. My insurance only paid for 6 visits at home. I could really use my mom right now. Her motto was " keep smiling no matter what happens"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Make sure you won't need to taper down on that instead of just quitting it. I'm sorry about your mom. Sounds like she had a great philosophy.

I'd never thought about how quiet a 55+ community filled with snowbirds might be during the off-season for those who live there full-time. We have friends who live in one (seems to be a lot of full-time retirees there), and it's far too social for my husband and I. Our friends love it, though.


Jean

LTKR (Stryker Triathlon): 21 April 2015
Right Knee Arthroscopy: 25 July 2006
Left Knee Arthroscopy: 10 February 2005
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom