TKR Pescara's Recovery Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today is the start of week 8 and so discouraged. At least I am finally sleeping. After reading a lot of posts it seems like I am way behind.
Dear @Pescara
It sounds as if you need a hug! :console2::friends:

I know that it's very easy to feel "down" while recovering from this surgery but hang in there - it will get better.

Please don't compare your recovery to anyone else's. Your knee is recovering on its own schedule and not on anybody else's. It's going to get there, too. I don't know what made you feel as if you are way behind, but you're probably doing just fine. Some people, the minority, do seem to have a faster recovery but most of us have to be like the tortoise and just make slow and steady progress. Remember that the tortoise won that race with the hare.

By the way, please will you put your surgery and its date in your Signature? that makes it much easier for us to see what you had, and when. Here's how to do it:
How to create a signature
Thank you! :flwrysmile::flwrysmile:
 
@Pescara Good morning, how are you today? I lost my mum 12 years ago and know exactly what you mean, my hubby has been very good, but still wish that my mum could have been here to give me a cuddle. Sending you hugs from the UK :friends:
 
Thanks for all the kind words. After spending most of yesterday on the couch I finally made the beds and dinner alone . I sleep in the guest room . The bed is more firm and no hubby and dog snoring. Very sore and stiff this morning but nothing ice and pain pills today with a little cleaning the bathrooms. Lysol wipes are great for the counters but tub and shower can wait for hubby to do. Take out dinner tonight!
 
You should make hubby sleep in the guest room, l do, lol. I had a trip this morning so am doing the same thing as you , ice and meds. Take out dinner sounds yummy, what type will it be?
 
Take out Chinese was great last night and no dishes. I still wonder how a 5 pound 3 year old Yorkie can snore so loud. She found me in the guest room last night! Feel asleep at 8 pm watching Dexter and slept until 6 am. Hubby and I had a great talk. He noticed and could hear my right knee crunch when I get up off the couch and walk. I was so used to it I didn't hear it anymore. I am so focused on my left knee. He wants me to get it done and go to a rehabilitation home for 5 days since he has to work and I would be home alone after the hospital. This time I am going to do research before I decided which one. The nurse the last time rushed me into a decision but now she can wait. I see my new GP on 8-12 and the OS on 8-18. Thanks to all the articles I have read here I now know what to ask. This time I am going to be assertive and tell him NO Norco or Tramadol. They don't work well for me and gives me migraines. I also want a 2 day drip for pain relief in the hospital. My insurance wants me there at least 3 days. They said 2 days is not long enough.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Pescara That take out sounds yummy, funnily enough that's what hubby and l are having tonight. It's amazing how much noise pets can make when they sleep, our cat can snore for Great Britain! You really should get your other knee done, think what you'll be like when you're fully bionic and able to do those things you weren't able to do for years. My right knee used to crunch and, like you, l was used to it but my hubby always used to jump! How's the knee feeling today?
 
@CATSMUM , I am sore but nothing ice and pain pills won't help. I miss scuba diving even at my age. I am such a big baby when it comes to pain and always have been so active. It's hard to keep me down lol. Patience and a clean house was never one of my virtues. I could have made the Chinese myself but to lazy and sore. We very seldom eat out since hubby says I cook better than any restaurants. Cooking has always been a passion of mine. I started at age 6 and read everything I could get my hands on. Hubby did promise a trip to Key West Florida (about 7 hours from here) once I get my other knee done and can be normal again. I never realized how much you use your knees scuba diving. :yes!:
 
Ice and pan killers are great, I'm lying on the settee icing my knee as l type this! Pain is a dreadful thing to experience and it really annoys me when people who have never experienced the type of pain that we have, lol down on us! Patience isn't one of my virtues either, my mum always said l wanted to run before l could walk, probably the reason my knees went! I normally as the master chef in my house but my hubby is still acting as the sous chef and doing the cooking. I enjoy cooking and purloined my mums folder of recipes when she passed away 12 years ago! Her boiled fruit cake recipe was and is a real favourite of ll of my family! Florida is lovely, only been here once but really enjoyed it. Unfortunately as l had a perforated eardrum years go l can't ago Scuba diving but I can imagine just how hard it is on the knee - great exercise though (in due course), lol. :heehee:
 
@CATSMUM,I forgot to ask you how are you feeling today? Since you are in the UK did you have surgery in April or June. I know doing the dates are arranged different here
 
@Pescara Knee is feeling a little stiff today after my fall yesterday, thankfully it's only soft tissues that have been injured and they will settle in time. Had my surgery in June, forgot that we do our dates differently over here, so you and l are almost at the same point re: our recovery. (have just changed the date format so everyone will know which month l had surgery)
 
Please be careful. I just watched a video on TKR. No wonder we are in pain! I fell in week 2 but also no damage. The OS had his nurse call me and had a visiting nurse 3 hours later. Now I don't go anywhere without my cellphone even take it to the bathroom just in case I need help
 
It's frightening isn't it, l hadn't watched the video until earlier this week and when l saw what they do to us, well.......as you said 'No wonder we're in pain'. I was just coming back from a walk yesterday and decided to enter the house through the patio doors at the back, caught the toe of my shoe on one of the paving slabs and landed on my operated knee - hubby was here and we ended up at the hospital, X-rays confirmed all was well. Like you, l don't go anywhere either my phone.
 
Please be careful. We are still in recovery even though or mind says we are fine. Hope you are resting and plenty of ice
 
That's the problem, my mind is telling me that l should be doing normal things! I've been very sensible today - rested, iced and elevated my leg virtually all day.
 
Hello @CATSMUM and @Pescara
I think watching the Youtube surgery is very good for us or for friends relatives who wonder why we are not leaping around. Having a hip done or having a knee done sounds so routine and insignificant. Well it is routine but not insignificant is it? We know once we have seen the video of it. I think at about four months I got to doing things without thinking of the surgery. It was a relief to feel a bit back to normal again ... til I had a fall but that another story.

Hope you both go forward slowly but surely!
 
@copsham @Pescara The You tube video was a real eye opener, my hubby watched it first, didn't get past the first 10 minutes apparently, lightweight, lol. I, too, had a fall yesterday but, touch wood appear to be recovering. Recovery from this type of surgery is a long road, which is sometimes tricky to drive along.
 
@CATSMUM and @copsham. Hubby didn't last 5 minutes through the video lol. The PT at the hospital told me men are worse than women! Falling again is my biggest fear . I take the dog out about every 3 hours so she makes me move and get motivated. It's going to rain today. My knee knows. Lol. 4 nights of great sleep has helped. I do little things every day. Make the beds, clean the kitchen and bathroom counters. Made dinner alone last night and didn't feel I needed to nap. I watched some tv and lots of ice. :yes!:
 
Made me giggle when l read about your hubby not lasting 5 minutes whilst watching the video! Falling is my biggest fear, which, has unfortunately been realised, although my knee doesn't feel as stiff today, so,I'm hoping its started to settle down already. Your doggy must love going out for walks every few hours, what a lovely mum she's got. It was cold here last week and my knee was really protesting, amazing how your body protests to change in weather. Really pleased to hear that you've managed to get to sleep over the last few night, so important for the body to heal. Seems you're doing quite a lot, so take it easy when you can or if you need too, don't overdo it!

Got friends coming over for a BBQ shortly so I'll be following your lead later and watch TV and ice.

Will check in later and let you know how things went. Enjoy your morning. xx
 
@@CATSMUM Enjoy the BBQ but take it easy. Madison only goes to the backyard on a leash since we have no fence. I have been wondering ...is anyone feeling a strange clicking on their new knee? Having my left knee has put a lot of stress on my right one. I know I need to get it done. Lots of crunch snap cracking and pop! I will ask the OS about it. I dread the idea of doing this all over again but look at the big picture and can enjoy the holidays with no pain.:wave:
 
Had a lovely BBQ, now feeling tired! I get various clicks in my knee, sometimes it's to do with the spacer and nothing to worry about. You need to get your other knee replaced otherwise it will continue to deteriorate and could put unnecessary strain on your new knee. Can fully understand your dread as this op is not nice! Madison, what a lovely name for your doggy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom